The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
OPP

Lithop help needed

Hi everyone,

I have had these lithops for a while now and were looking very healthy. They flowered a few months ago and were coming along nicely.

Today I noticed that 2 of the 3 are showing signs of overwatering/underwatering?

They dont get watered very often but may have had overspray from the watering can.

These guys are some of my favourites and need your help to save them.

Thanks

post-7703-0-98250700-1379406089_thumb.jp

post-7703-0-98250700-1379406089_thumb.jpg

post-7703-0-98250700-1379406089_thumb.jpg

Heya, i really dont know much about lithops, but i have heard that you are supposed to let them wrinkle before watering.

They seemed to have a pretty specific set of seasonal care requirements, so i would get onto some googling before you reach for the watering can.

I know they need minimal watering and that is how I have been caring for them. Thats why it suprised me that they are looking unhappy.

They dnt look too bad! I think u wanna let them dry out completely in between waterings

The orange one on the right is very unhealthy and is probably beyond help.

The green one on the left is starting to show signs of the same shrivelling.

I don't know a lot about these ether but I got gifted a couple a while ago and was warned about over watering. My understanding was the amount of water you give a taproot plant is way to much for these. So my answer to this was don't water them. :lol:

I haven't given the any thing since around May and previous to that I have only given them a splash every now and then when it was really hot and they are now putting on new growth and are really healthy. I think its more to do with luck than doing the right thing but its working. :)

Cheers

Got

I've only ever had 2 Lithops, I killed the first one by treating it like a Loph. The next one I got is going well and I never water it.

I think they get enough moisture from the atmosphere and dew etc. They only really need a splash in an extended hot dry spell.

Hey Boomshanker check out ozlithops.com for all your lithop needs :) . And no i'm in no way affiliated..

My limited experience with Lithops has been the same as Sally. Killed the first couple I owned with their first watering. The ones I have now I've never watered at all and they look very happy.

Yeah, I had some and I watered them once and they died. Lol.

I left my lithops in the sun over the week and I came home too one looking like split vagina , I wonder if they split before they continue too grow

They actually do split the old leaves and then push some new ones out and the old ones die off. If it's right in the center then there might just be a new pair of leaves coming out.

BTW does anybody know if small seedlings like to be wet and humid like normal cacti or do they prefer it to be dry?

Edited by hostilis