The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Shamanistic

NZ Holiday

I'm heading over to Aotearoa for a bit late December, usually I've gone over there with my family because I have other family over there but this time I'm going to be over there by myself for the most of my holiday seeing my family. Since I'll be over there for a while I want to check out the scenery. I have seen a fair bit of the North Island but never been to the South Island so I kinda want to head over that side as well. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I have to see when I'm over in NZ?

I'd also be super keen to meet up with any kiwi sabers out there if you're keen. Last time I was over there I saw a few trichos in front yards, one in particular with a few. For all I know it could have been one of you guys' houses :lol:

• Like 1

Me personally I would love to check out the Glaciers, the hot springs and I would love to bungee jump for the kick and the rush. I don't think my hubby would like to do some of the things I would want to do.

Just take heaps of pictures so we can see your experience. If you go bungee jumping get a helmet cam.

• Like 1

I cant say much about the north island as i have only been there a couple times but if you're after some nice scenery i would gravitate towards the south island anyway. Nelson region or more specifically Golden Bay and Takaka are probably my first and foremost reccomendation. This area is the abel tasman national park, the forest is so lush and there are some beautiful mountains, awesome beaches, hot sun, fresh locally grown fruit and veg everywhere :)

post-8023-0-56313100-1379294688_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-47043300-1379294909_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-82310400-1379294935_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-78579800-1379294958_thumb.jp

The scenery is amazing and Takaka and Golden bay are a natural habitats for liberal, nature-loving types, of course you get the odd wanker anywhere you go, but the majority of people i have encountered around those areas are very chilled, friendly and interesting ppl to talk to.

Pupu springs is incredible! Not too far from the township, and definately worth a visit if your in the area.

post-8023-0-41718400-1379294986_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-27441200-1379294999_thumb.jp

If you will still be around at new years some of my mates are hosting a party in the malborough sounds (which are also incredibly incredibly beautiful), if you're interested im happy to track down more info for you, i think they have got some pretty renowed international acts flying in (or so they tell me anyway) and the location is probably the closest to paradise i have ever seen with my own eyes

Clova bay, marlborough sounds:

post-8023-0-27902700-1379295250_thumb.jp

post-8023-0-06496200-1379295287_thumb.jp

..The west coast of the south island is beautiful :wub:

Some of our most ancient forest, its pretty amazing to walk around amoung trees which are hundreds and hundreds of years old.

post-8023-0-94541300-1379310046_thumb.jp

if you end up on the west coast theres mount cook to admire amid the scenery

And the pancake rocks are pretty cool too

post-8023-0-12256700-1379310517_thumb.jp

If you happen to make it all the way down to otago do let me know! I'll be kicking around over summer and am always interested in meeting other SABers

Haha i feel like im trying to sell you an nz holiday, but hey, its all beautiful, anywhere u go i'm sure there will be interesting ppl and lovely scenery to discover!

(Had to edit cause it was all confusing and jumbled, hope it makes more sense now!)

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ceres
  • Like 8

Bungy jumping is certainly a thrill, worth doing atleast once i say.

There are a few options, i just did a little one in queenstown 'the ledge', but if you're a crazy thrill seeker you can't go past The Nevis, 134 metres :o, largest bungy jump in nz

post-8023-0-95877500-1379296403_thumb.jp

Just on the off chance you are an adrenaline junkie, and keen heres a list of all the bungy jumping sites in the south island with links to more info, prices, heights etc.

http://gonewzealand.about.com/od/Adventure-And-Outdoors/tp/Bungy-Jump-Sites-In-The-South-Island.htm

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Ceres

If your into hiking check out Arthur's pass area

• Like 1

For one of those bungies its half price if you go naked isn't it? Alternatively you could skydive over the southern alps ( dont do that naked though )

Or... Go whale watching on a boat in Kaikoura, sample some local kaimoana while your there. Have a go at fly fishing for trout somewhere, popular places will have somehwere to give you lessons on how its done. Bush and coastal walks galore.

If you end up around Auckland I can show you the west coast and the Waitakere Ranges which is cool. Give you a surfing lesson if you want.

• Like 1

Sally,

I'd love to do something like bungee jumping over there. I've been to the hot springs in Rotorua before, the one that's most famous for it's smelly air. I remember thinking to myself a few times if living there was healthy but everything seemed to be thriving. You do get used to the smell though. I'd take plenty of pictures for sure. Wouldn't mind one of those cameras, I've already got a pretty good one though so in a way it'd be a waste. It would be so worth it for a bungie jump though.

Ceres,

That scenery looks beautiful, no wonder they filmed Lord of the Rings there. There are not many places on the Earth nearly as suitable to host Middle Earth as New Zealand. A whole lot of kiwis have always said the south island is more picturesque too. So many of those places look so sureal. Marlborough Sounds looks like it would be a ripper new years eve, I'm doing something with some of my cousins for new years but I'm not sure what exactly that was but likely something like that. I'll have to do a bit more reading up on it and suggest we go there. If you were trying to sell a holiday you've got me sold :lol: Thanks for taking the time out to show me all those wonderful options! I wouldn't mind going down to Otago, from what I know of the place it sounds like a pretty fun place to be for the most part.

ID,

I've been there a couple of times before man and I would say it's definitely worth it!

Dan,

Just looked at Arthur's Pass then, looks like it would have some serious hikes available. I'd love to go out in the middle of the forest or mountain range and just walk around for a few days going on different trails or maybe even one big trail.

Nemisty,

Last time I was over there I did a nudie run at a wedding so naked bungie jumping wouldn't be too unusual! I will be near Auckland for a while I'd say, it would be great to meet up and check out the surroundings. I've done a fair bit of normal fishing and I've always been curious how fly fishing would go. I'm hoping I'll be able to go out and go big game fishing or something like that or maybe diving. I've went out a couple of times on friends surfboards, I was no Kelly Slater by any means but I had good fun.

• Like 1

Have a look at Great Barrier Island from google earth! Its 100km from the mainland and well worth the $60 ferry trip to get away from it all :)

For one of those bungies its half price if you go naked isn't it?

Haha i'm pretty sure it was completely free but they had to revoke that offer because waaaaay too many ppl were more than happy to get their kit off for a free bungy jump :P

Last time I was over there I did a nudie run at a wedding so naked bungie jumping wouldn't be too unusual!

It that some sort twisted NZ custom ?

Now I've got a mental image of someone running naked through a church. :unsure: