The Corroboree
Thelema

avast shows malware attached to sab forum page

Link didn't work...

Avast, ye scurvy dog! Get yer shit together!

• Like 1

i remember something like this i posted a thread about it a while ago,

it was to do with old attachments/images?

can't remember, i posted a thread in this forum about it, i remember there wasn't a great deal of concern

It's possible someone's gone and linked an infected image or something, but Kaspersky Internet Security has always picked up on those kinds of things in the past for me.

But Kaspersky isn't picking up or blocking anything for me, so I'm inclined to believe it's a false positive from Avast.

avast LOL that program is like a crazy old scotish man.. it just wants to "attack" everything. im shocked to see so many people still use virusware. i have found that nothing on earth causes more computer troubles than virusware. i will never use that stuff again. only time in around 20 years i got virus's on computer was with virusware. never when i dont have it installed. damb thing used to tell me all my software was a virus too LOL. i have had a few "australian surveys" come up at this site and other related sites over last year or so though. they pop up and cant be got rid of at all, and always placed over needed page buttons too. funny that. it's kinda obvious whats going on there isnt it. the last time it caused me lots of drama's was buying tickets to a recent tour/lecture. only thing i use is an adware remover, and that's the way it's going to stay. if virusware giving ya the S... you might like to get rid of it. =)

• Like 1

avast LOL that program is like a crazy old scotish man.. it just wants to "attack" everything. im shocked to see so many people still use virusware. i have found that nothing on earth causes more computer troubles than virusware. i will never use that stuff again. only time in around 20 years i got virus's on computer was with virusware. never when i dont have it installed. damb thing used to tell me all my software was a virus too LOL. i have had a few "australian surveys" come up at this site and other related sites over last year or so though. they pop up and cant be got rid of at all, and always placed over needed page buttons too. funny that. it's kinda obvious whats going on there isnt it. the last time it caused me lots of drama's was buying tickets to a recent tour/lecture. only thing i use is an adware remover, and that's the way it's going to stay. if virusware giving ya the S... you might like to get rid of it. =)

Sounds like you have a virus... (lol sorry). The survey over buttons is almost certainly mallware. Try using spybot, its not virusware in the sence of norton or avast.

I do agree though, that programs like avast can be and are often worse then the virus's they protect you from.

• Like 1

i did a bit of research into spybot and its reviews are appalling.

it sounds like your browser is compromised ghosty.

eset is my favourite security software, thats why they chuck in junk like norton when you buy a computer, so somebody will actually use it.

I also have up-to-date avast running and no such issues.

a combination of Spybot Search and Destroy and Super Anti Spyware tends to be perfectly capable of cleaning out 99% of viruses.

second best to Kaspersky.

Spybot was awesome 10 years ago. Cant say ive read up on it since.

A young earth creationist told me a few years ago that kaspersky is the go. He might be right about something i guess

Don't know if this is related but I run Avast and did a thorough scan after reading this thread and it found nothing.

However, last night and this morning after going to two completely unrelated websites (which are not my usual fare, although the first one should be "trusted" and the second most likely trusted) I have found some of the links (not all) have been compromised, my pop-up blocker is stopping them from opening but the links are def. pointing to places they shouldn't.

Running Windows 8, using Firefox.

Windows defender is off but the firewall is on.

a string of letters followed by hop.clickbank.net are the links showing instead of other pages within the website.

Am going to run another scan but I think my computer is compromised - pisses me off as this happens very, very rarely.

try the combination i mentioned above mate :)

now avast shows WIN32:evo-gen virus linked to forum page thru java platform

link is dead.

There are no external links on the forum homepage and certainly no code that links to what you posted. The problem is at your end, not the server. I run virus software on the server and check the front end regularly with Norton and McAfee. My recommendation is to get a better virus progam.

• Like 2

Yeah, get rid of the free Antivirus Apps or choose the highest possible Security.

Being free or paid doesn't mean anything, when judging how good anti virus software is.

Heaps of paid anti virus software packages are total rubbish as are many free ones.

Saw a test a few weeks ago and free ones totally sucked. I use a free one but with the highest possible security options and its still not safe. Not saying all the paid ones are safe. Just saying the free ones i know definately arent. There are quite a few good av appz out there but some of them cost and sometimes its best to use a combination of a few. With an infected system like this, it is hard to get it clean again.

Edited by Evil Genius

Im using the free Microsoft anti-virus atm. Doesnt pickup many virus's, but maybe im a clean browser :P

Im using the free Microsoft anti-virus atm. Doesnt pickup many virus's, but maybe im a clean browser :P

...or it just misses everything >___>

• Like 1

Somewhat likely.

However i did manage a small internet cafe like setup a few years ago and it used to get plenty of hits then.

My personnel taste is something that doesn't piss me off. Over something that thinks everything is a virus (ive had Norton red flag freshly installed windows components)

^^ hear hear

...or it just misses everything >___>

pffft

doesn't return false positives is more like it

microsoft's offering appears to be a fine choice for PC security based on what i've read..... and on the topic of microsoft, it is recommended to get your security patches for windows routinely

anything that significantly slows your computer down is not a good choice IMHO. i'm no longer sure which security suites are guilty of performance hogging but it's hard for me to believe norton has lifted their game much, performance-wise.

Norton has become MUCH better in terms of resources. In the late naughties it was shocking, but the last few years I've never had it hog anything when resources were needed. It consistently rates at or near the top for detections AND for low false positives, while the others all seem to go through phases. My computers usually get used for >6 years so I can't afford to change back and forth. For me consistent reliability is more important than other issues. But I know that's not for everyone and avast is certainly the top of the list of freebees. But I just wish people using inferior security suites would look at their own end first rather than starting threads about compromised websites. Pretty much every supposed security scare we have had here in the last 5 years has been false positives from avast.