The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!

There can be only one... I just bought one of those Surma seeds.. lol I feel scammed but content all at once.

• Like 2

i bought some "Russian giant" sunflower seeds off ebay last year. They grew commerical sunflowers about waist height. So good luck with bought seeds, ill stick with the hillbilly genetics

Sunzillas for me, suckers :)

whats all this sunflower chat...pumpkins lads...pumpkins

stage 2 initiated today

• Like 1

Hillbilly and his devious means :(

• Like 2

How heavy was the pumpkin from last year HB?

Did you do the same patch preparation etc or have you changed strategies? How big are your seeds? Some of the seeds you can buy are massive they have to of come out of something humongous.

Edited by Stillman

this year i have built the bed up alot more, about 18inches maybe. because in previous years heavy rain makes the patch into a underwater eel paradise, Last few years vines have drowned during mid summer rains, I have tested the patch duringwinter with some peas, and theyre out of the high tide mark now.

The best seeds i have are about the size of the end of my thumb (hillbilly size thumb)

• Like 1

That sounds like a good sized seed. They reckon genetics play a massive part genetics and luck lol. Yeah I'm worried about the rain too. I'm going to grow the pumpkins on bread crates to try and keep them out of the mud.

• Like 1

When does this one kick off? I may join in :rolleyes:

1st of september R&M! Plenty of time left to get some seeds and prepare your patch :)

• Like 1

some more seed arrived..

DSCF2055_zps995fd6d2.jpg

This lot from Atlantic seed Australia out of a 318kg victorian grown pumpkin. Thats a regular sized Jap pumpkin seed for comparison.

Edited by Stillman
  • Like 3

Got my atlantic giant seeds

They are the darker seeds at the top,

post-8023-0-11006800-1374563134_thumb.jp

Lookin pretty damn good in comparission to those pale lil pumpkin seeds Hillbilly sent me... Hmmm, weren't those from the last winning pumpkin HB? :P

Or were u just messing with me and those are normal punk seeds?

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

you should stick with HBs and send those other ones to me so I can destroy them... lol

I read the thicker seed the better.

• Like 2

you bastard Stillman...lol...got a Surma on the way

Also have sourced some from the Victorian record one (385kg), some HBs, second generation ebay ones.

Still looking...I am such a gene whore

Come on Rum and Monk's

• Like 1

Hey Waterboy I have been doing the research I think and I'm not trying to win this year I'm planning and collecting genetics for next year when I intend to dominate. My Surma hasn't arrived yet its like fucking Christmas eve around here lol.

Rhode Island is the home of Giant Pumpkins that and Ontario Canada. Have you guys seen the annual temps of those regions? These plants seem to like it cooler to get that really massive size, I'm thinking WB and BF may be dark horses. http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USND0256

• Like 1

I found that one I grew a while back would have the leaves wilt and plump up as it struggled to pump water out into the leaves in the peak of the heat. I think I know how to combat that now...maybe....sorta

I think the cooler temps stop the skin getting so hard and allow em to get ripped. Also why I think in parts they shade the fruit (?).

I am amazed at the genetics going on....earlier found a site selling some pedigree seeds at $65 US/seed :o Got to be able to eat it or smoke it to justify that...lol

rofl...it is going to be like xmas here too.

EDIT - also have the ozone hole above me letting in xtra cosmic goodness

oh and ....

....and I'm not trying to win this year....

lol...sure you are :P

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 1

Howard Dill Godfather of the Atlantic Giant is from Nova scotia -cool climate again. Make me think they would grow well over winter -spring and early Summer here to beat the wet summers and disease. I want to break a record now lol.

• Like 1

Okay, i'm in. Time to join in on the fun. I may or may not be that lurking SAB'er that swoops in ;) probably not, but time will tell.

Lol.

• Like 1

Between my Rum and my Monkeys, I might be in for a chance.

• Like 2