The Corroboree
El Presidente Hillbillios

Giant pumpkin contest!!

Only 4 times? My retinas need reconstructive surgery from being subjected to that lily white ass pic continually for the last two years! He whips it out everywhere! From now on I'm putting on my sunnies before I open a hb thread.

Indian dreaming I've seen the original pic, what was edited out looked something akin to two large T-bone steaks swinging side by side, the mind boggles.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 5

He's trying to put off the competition with that arse ...lol...onto you HB

at first I thought the censorship was Mr Hanky...Howdy Ho (lol ...nearly opened up Photoshop for some editing)

christmasmrhankey.jpg#

• Like 3

^^

Should have done it.

• Like 1

In the heat of competition and need some time to kill Jwerta, then it will be done...lol

Edited by waterboy

So I've found out that where I plan on growing the winning pumpkin in this competition, there are regular morning visits from our native hopping friends - roo's...

- Do they eat pumpkin leaves??

I searched and got as far as "Do Kangaroos " and the preselected results list had

- Do Kangaroos fart

- Do Kangaroos eat weed

But I'm unable to find out if kangaroos enjoy eating pumpkin plants... This will change the ball game significantly for me if they do, as I'll have to erect a substantial fence...

Edit: Just confirmed - Kangaroos love juicy green fresh pumpkin leaves... :devil:

Edited by IndianDreaming

Kangaroos will eat trichs so I can't see them not eating a pumpkin leaf!

• Like 3

hell yeah they'll eat 'em, thats why I went straight for a fence.

Lol, HB you wee hussy, I swear thats about the 4th time I've seen you post that photo this year.

Does your misses know you're parading your milky white bottom around the forum like this?

she took the pic, My naked parts are spread all over the internerds like some kinda venereal disease, but we have been married along time. Nothing phases her these days

• Like 1

In the heat of competition and need some time to kill Jwerta, then it will be done...lol

I will make crap fertilizer.

• Like 2

^ not what I meant...lol..must check hurried taps at the keyboard

....In the heat of competition and in need of some time to kill, Jwerta it will be done

hmmm now I have ideas for the krakenpumpkin though

Thought that's what you meant ;)

• Like 1

Anyone know much about molasses as an additive to fertiliser? It apparently will promote microbial colonies in the soil. Also allegedly helps uptake of fertilisers to an extent. I'm doing some trials with it on sweet potato and tubers this spring/ summer. Might use it on my Pumpkin too. Apparently it is used as a foliar spray by Giant Pumpkin growers?

for pumpkins I've had a chap mention he is using 50ml molasses to 9L water, for foliar feeding.

I cant comment on how it works, it is the rage with some american growers.

I've also seen it mentioned being added into aerated tea's/brews

• Like 1

yeah I'm using it as a soak in combination with "Triple Boost" 3 in one fertiliser. Looks and smells a hell of a lot like Canna BIO organic vega...

Edited by Stillman

Might pick up some tips in this doco guys:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kynO36yA3y8

I'm going to get in on this and start preparing my soil today :)

Sussing out going the whole 9 yard with cover crop, soil inoculation etc

http://www.hollandsgiants.com/soil.html

PS how are we going to weigh them accurately? The growers usually have a size estimation chart that you input the dimensions of your entry into

Edited by IceCube
  • Like 2

I reckon the biggest we can pick from piccies, and back it with measurement (?).

I am thinking of a prize to be offered for the "Prettiest" pumpkin as well.... based on a most liked basis ...or something like that.

Edited by waterboy
  • Like 2

I'd love to get in on this....

Anyone have some spare seed? I'd be happy to do a trade for something of intrest to you.

PM me if your interested,

• Like 1

Yeah m8 - I can pop you a couple of 2 different sorts - pm me ur addy and prepare to be pumpk't!

• Like 2

Pm sent

• Like 2

Thanks for hooking me up guys! Cant wait to get pumpkin'n! :P

Icecube I'm organising some scales... and a fork lift.

• Like 1

I'm thinking of weighing a palette, and when I get the winning pumpkin to a decent size I'll pop it on that to grow. From there it'll be easier to move it and attach it (and the palette) to some scales, and also to move it a bit farther from the house for its ultimate disintegrative demise...

Ice: That was a good post, watched a bit of the docco and got all sorts of inspiration. Even a bit of Aussie camaraderie swelled up and I had a few moments imagining the news headlines "Australian pumpkin takes world record" - We're in it for the whole country here folks, make no mistake - this pumpkin contest could very well start an international pumpkin growing epidemic.

• Like 4

So exciting :D

Not long to go now..

post-8023-0-57134500-1376863756_thumb.jp

How many participants have we got on board? Seems like quite a few really!

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1