The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
kadakuda

Mitragyna speciosa reproduction

Is kratom self fertile? this will be year 2 i get flowers, but i only have 1 clone big enough in ground flowering, so am curious.

Here they flower twice a year it seems, winter and summer. This year they are going nuts. Went to go take cuttings and could only find a handful of stems without a ball forming in the stipule.

Seeds possible? or more accurately as i know seeds are possible, are seeds viable?

I've read seeds are viable for only 1-2 days. Me along with many others in NZ have been dreaming of getting hands on kratom for a while, but for this very reason its practically impossible :(

Edited by Nemisty

some people claimed rifat is self fertile (?!!), the seeds are viable for a few months at least, with good storage.

anyway, kratom seeds are very small, as do lose viability rather fast...

easy cutting with first flush after the cold period.

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

I got 50+ seeds from a guy a week after the seeds had been harvested and couldn't germinate any
Although it was when I first got into growing things, so I was kind of... well I was ridiculously noob

P.H., I respect you wisdom of plant nature....

Can you elaborate on

"easy cutting with first flush after the cold period"

And any other helpful onto regarding that?

I guess if you grow mitragyna under artificial conditions, it's a bit different at times.

many plants make an easy cutting, if you use the young growth after dormancy was broken.

best material, would be obtained by, parts of the plant which got pruned back previously, and now is re shooting. mitragyna is an easy cutting, if you use spring growth.

• Like 1

I tried seeds a few hours after harvest and didnt get any to grow, but we have grown seeds imported through the mail. So i dont think in my own plant seeds that it was a fresh thing ( i also kept seeds adn sent some away, nothing grew anywhere anyhow).

I dont grow rifat unfortunately, be nice to know if it was for sure.

like plant helper mentions they do best cuttings from a flush of new growth. depends on climate when that is though. here it happens all year except when flowering. we have 2 flowering seasons here, winter and summer. problem is with the flowers killing the apical meristem it takes away from growth severely until they finish, then new flushes come out from lower nodes.

I try to prune mine a bit now to keep it leveled out adn have even flushes. uneeven flushes show dominance and then a really awkward crooked plant later on.

• Like 1

Thank you, I will never know so much, that I cannot learn from others!

Even though I have worked with this plant for years, there are always new insights to be gained.

Here are a couple of this weeks cuttings, mitragyna speciosa.

post-12633-0-17995200-1370435373_thumb.p

post-12633-0-15997100-1370435396_thumb.p

post-12633-0-17995200-1370435373_thumb.png

post-12633-0-15997100-1370435396_thumb.png

post-12633-0-17995200-1370435373_thumb.png

post-12633-0-15997100-1370435396_thumb.png

Edited by shonman
  • Like 1

Has anyone tried air layering branches of mitragyne speciosa that are maybe a foot long?

Mine is branching out and there is too much space between the nodes (for me anyway)

Due to the HPS 1000w light they are under.....

I am surprised at how every time it grow new leaves now, there are two branched and a top.

Edited by shonman

that happens at the crown adn outer extremities more. if you whack off the tips of branches, especially shaded lwo ones, you get all kinds of new buds forming.

i have not yet tried air layering very much, but i have rooted 2+ meter cuttings about 8cm thick in my irrigation pond. with kratom, you nail the climate adn they root without any effort at all. i used a machete and split the wood on th ends and they still rooted.

• Like 1