The Corroboree
Micromegas

Moving interstate - competition and giveaway

Hi SABers I'm moving to WA in five days and have some things of which to dispense.

(1) An unopened box of miscellaneous cacti that I was supposed to send to the US but didn't. Plants have been in the box for 2 months + and i'm not going to open it now. There are about 8 decent sized cuttings in the box of various sorts of trichos. For that there will be a competition, see below. I will pay for the postage.

(2) Cacti fruits, open pollinated from the garden. I will be handing a whole heap of fruits to Tipz next week. The fruits are not as ripe as I'd like (not splitting yet) but the seeds are black and more or less hard, I think they are good to go. Tipz has kindly agreed to distribute some to the community, which he can do anyway he chooses.

Parent plants are: Validus, Goliath, PC, Macrogonus, Bruce, Unknown Bridgessii, Cuzcoensis, Yowie, Scopulicola, Cordobensis. I would imagine all are cross pollinated with PC due to flowering synchronicities.

(3) If anyone needs a reliable and cheap 1992 VP Commodore sedan, $1000, 240,000km let me know. Will be good for 6-12 months I reckon, got me out of tight spot. Needs a service.

The competition. Answer these three questions:

(1) What was the most common Trich cultivar to produce open pollinated seeds in my garden (choose from the underlined list above). Fifteen points for the correct answer.

(2) How many fruits set (and were collected) on my trich plants in Summer 2012/13? (not including self-fertile plants like spachianus). Start with fifty points, and subtract a point for each number you're out by.

(3) What is the native plant I am most hoping to see during my time in WA? Thirty points for the correct answer. Ten points for the best two incorrect answers.

You can use the same answer as someone else.

Competition will close at 6pm Adelaide time Sunday evening and the box posted on Monday. Best score out of 90 will be the winner.

@ Explorer, I will also be sending the cutting I promised you months ago on Monday.

Lookout you sandgropers!

Cheers, Micro

• Like 8

Lose a Noshie and gain a Micro. :)

Are you heading to the big smoke Micro or out into the country.

1: Yowie

2: 17

3: Acacia obtecta

Cheers

Got

• Like 1

One less for the SA SAB count. WA will be lucky to have you! :P

1. PC
  2. 45
  3. Rhizanthella gardneri

Just had a look through your recent posts too (trying to find the answers :P) and wow... your garden is amazing! I don't know I could leave that behind.

1. yowie

2. 35

3. gina rinehart's money trees (jabacia blobifolia)

PC
acuminata

Sorry, never got to meet up. If you need some cash and are looking for a good home for some of your cactus, PM me.

that is acacia acuminata narrow pyllode varitey

1. PC

2. 38

3. Santalum spicatum

:wink:

PC, 50, xanthorrhoea spp

Bridgesii

Native hibiscus

@ Explorer, I will also be sending the cutting I promised you months ago on Monday.

Cool, thanks mate, I'd actually forgotten all about it :).

Bump! Three hours to go. From memory the box contains about 7 cuttings all up from 15-35cm.

Some great WA plant answers so far!

I'm off to pick cactus fruit!

how'd we go, how'd we go?

fingers crossed :o

I awarded 10 points to Nuytsia, A. obtecta and acuminata and Rhizanthella because they are great endemic WA plants. I am actually really hoping to see the Boab, Adansonia gregorii although it is not endemic I've always wanted to see one in the wild. But thanks to the suggestions I'll expand my list!

I collected about 45 fruits. Including the ones too high to reach, I found 53 Trich fruits. The most was Yowie with 16 and Goliath with 13, scop 7 and one or two of a lot of things: Macro, Cuzco, Super Ped, Validus, Bridge, Bruce. Some of the fruits were quite small but the seeds look good. The was NOT A SINGLE FRUIT on any PC Pedro!

endo: 3

GOT: 37

qualia: 47 is jabacia blobifolia a joke i don't understand?

Atom: 52

stjimi: 39

compost: 29

NegativeDave: 35

Madhouses: 47

Jwerta: -147!!

tarenna: 49

So atom is the winner, and that's one cool underground orchid! PM me your address and I'll send them off tomorrow.

Close match, probably I'll find more fruits hidden away later of course, but these are the official figures!

Check your score in case my maths is off!

Thanks for playing, Micro

• Like 1

nice one micro

congrats to the glorious winner!

good work!!

I won?! I was not expecting that! Thanks micro, PMing you now :)

For a second I thought I had won Jaja then I realised it was minus 147 points :P

yes, gina rinehart, jaba the hut,

the wicked blob of the west?

Just met with Micromegas and have all the fruits in hand, I have a fair bit of work ahead seperating all the seeds but as soon as I am good to go I will put up a huge giveaway post. Should be some interesting offspring from some very beautiful plants.

At0m I have your box of cuts seems though I am back in Adelaide early next week. I will pass them on to save Micro postage fees. Ill be in touch via PM soon.

woohoooo Thanks Micro on behalf of the community and best of luck with your new endeavors.

• Like 3