The Corroboree
whitewind

Police brutality @ Mardi Gras

i think that you think i hoped for something that i don't really care about.

it's unacceptable for anybody else to go around being a thug, police should be extra EXTRA accountable for wrongdoing since they chose a career in making people accountable for wrongdoing.

police should have the tools, training and legal powers they need to deal with violent criminals. incompetence, overzealousness or blatant misuse of those powers should be ruthlessly punished. i've never seen it happen but i know it does, and i'd be utterly terrified if a police officer used unnecessary violence on me.

• Like 4

i think that you think i hoped for something that i don't really care about.

you cared enough to make a post implying that most participants in this thread were behaving like children because they dared question brutal authority. seeing the police force through rose coloured glasses does not make you a mature adult.

then i doubt you understand what 'brutal authority' actually entails. try getting arrested in Croatia, you will find the heart of darkness

yes, there are many parts of the world where police behaviour is much worse and frequent. but remove "brutal" from my sentence and it applies equally.

to take your argument to the extreme, Auschwitz was an objectively rougher place than gitmo, so prisoners there should be grateful.

• Like 2

yeh good 1that's exactly what i mean

the comparison isn't the same, this isn't a wartime, the comparison i was making was to point out that the social mechanisms regulating dissemination of information and producing change in Australia are a lot more workable than other places.

it's just my opinion but it's immature for people to be going on about police should do ... or pretend you're a moral bastion for saying violence is wrong. we aready know man. no one thinks you're edgy because you don't like police. if this incident is something you care about, do something. otherwise :wave-finger:

Edited by self organising systems

the comparison isn't the same, this isn't a wartime, the comparison i was making was to point out that the social mechanisms regulating dissemination of information and producing change in Australia are a lot more workable than other places.

it's just my opinion but it's immature for people to be going on about police should do ... or pretend you're a moral bastion for saying violence is wrong. we aready know man. no one thinks you're edgy because you don't like police. if this incident is something you care about, do something. otherwise :wave-finger:

.. And guess what helps affect change? DISCOURSE.

Generally speaking, stifling discourse seem completely counterproductive considering that it's usually a precursor to action.

Edited by SYNeR
  • Like 3

The fact that some folks think it's "edgy" or cool to dislike police based on nothing but what amount to cultural reasons is no reason to tar members here with the same brush. I think it's probably a fair bet that many people here have had more to do with police than the average citizen, and put more thought into the philosophical issues surrounding law enforcement. Or maybe that's just elitist.

Regardless, questioning what police should do, and not blindly accepting their behaviour regardless? Not only is that far from immature, it's our responsibility as members of a democracy.

I didn't complain about the police brutality because for me it DOES feel like pissing in the wind when applied to a single situation. Personally I expect the cop in that video to need to be in protective custody within a week, karma will come back to give him his just deserts. But I don't criticise those who are singularly outraged at this incident - as SYNeR says discourse is the only way forward. Of course it should be a given that police should behave better than this and that violence like this is abhorrent, but if we as a society don't stop to recognise times when those we place in positions of responsibility violate the trust of their position, we're looking at one slippery-arse slope.

It's clear that our government is not particularly concerned with civil liberties. The current anti-gang legislation scares the shit out of me as it chips away at our freedom of assembly and not one person I've seen in the media has stopped to recognise this. I'm not the world's biggest fan of bikies, but.... well... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_they_came...

edit: grammar

Edited by endorfinder
  • Like 1

^^ show me the part of what i wrote that even vaguely alludes to the idea that discourse 'in general' is something that should be stifled?

Regardless, questioning what police should do, and not blindly accepting responsibility? Not only is that far from immature, it's our responsibility as members of a democracy.Regardless, questioning what police should do, and not blindly accepting responsibility? Not only is that far from immature, it's our responsibility as members of a democracy.

you're going round in circles man no one is saying blindly accept police authority.

discourse is the only way forward

.. not according to history champ

It's clear that our government is not particularly concerned with civil liberties.

this is not meant as an an ad hominem refutation of your most erudite and worthwhile pontifications, but i don't like your opinions and feel that you need to travel more, and actually look into the ways we already have in Australia for changing the things you're annoyed about, instead of 'discoursing, or as it is colloquially known 'whinging'.

it's just my opinion but it's immature for people to be going on about police should do

Ummm... that bit. The bit where you're basically telling us the adult thing to do is to bend over and take it.

Your attack is purely ad hominem, if it wasn't you wouldn't have braced it as such. :) I'm still somewhat at a loss as to what you find offensive or disagreeable about anything I've said. If you honestly feel that my saying citizens have a right not to be abused by police is pontification, then shit man, I just want to give you a hug :blush:

We live in a different world now with social and otherwise decentralised media... "whinging" is no longer done in private and has evolved into a powerful way to get grass roots attention, for better or for worse.

actually look into the ways we already have in Australia for changing the things you're annoyed about

You're seriously confusing me here... are you saying this is something an individual citizen NOT directly involved in the incident would have a hope in hell of enacting change through CMC or an ombudsman-type person or some such? What do you suggest as a constructive solution to the situation if expressing disapproval really is that bad?

• Like 1

it's unacceptable for anybody else to go around being a thug, police should be extra EXTRA accountable for wrongdoing since they chose a career in making people accountable for wrongdoing.

police should have the tools, training and legal powers they need to deal with violent criminals. incompetence, overzealousness or blatant misuse of those powers should be ruthlessly punished. i've never seen it happen but i know it does, and i'd be utterly terrified if a police officer used unnecessary violence on me.

You haven't lived unless you've been bashed by the pigs. You never forget the sound the aluminium baton makes when it cracks you on the skull.

I agree with you that police should be more accountable for their wrongdoings, that's where the term "scales of justice' comes in (when applied to the interpretation of law). If you are in a position of trust the scales of justice should weigh heavier against you.

When you die they should too.

• Like 2

To be honest that is tame compared to some of the crap I have seen some rogue individual police cuntsables (and felt...lol) in several states dish out.

If it really shocked any of you, its time for a reality check.....

• Like 2

I don't think the shock is in the action here, it's in the flagrancy of the officers involved in behaving above the law even when fully aware they are being videotaped. The officers don't even attempt to hide their identity, because they *know* in the scheme of things what they're doing is pedestrian compared to things their colleagues are given a slap on the wrists for at worse.

Was just discussing a case IRL a couple of hours ago... maybe 5 years ago a friend's (obviously ex) bf was tased 28 times by the local cops. He was known to them to have a heart condition and use a stack of meth. That's murder, and pretty bloody cold blooded at that if you think about how long it must take to tase someone that many times. Of course the guy was universally regarded as a scumbag so nobody was held accountable. As if the character of the victim was remotely relevant.

The silver lining is I'm told that at least in QLD now, police must tase EACH OTHER at least once a year if they are to be permitted to carry a one. :)

• Like 1

I think the officers responsible were just jealous because they didn't look as fabulous as the rest of the crowd.

Those police uniforms sure are drab.

• Like 3

I dont think that this is a great instance to use as a platform addressing the wrong doings of Police.

Clearly no one was in the right here. While the throw does look "excesive" its is by no measure extreme given the circum stance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FISYvvO92T4

Edited by eatfoo
  • Like 1

Note the cut in the video aswell, he's resisting and throwing a punch before getting cuffed. The kicking is coming after he's been patially cuffed!

There's a third video also floating around that shows the immediate aftermath after that first punch.

Plus to add some oil to the flames, check the very first video out step by step.

Note the additional kick just before the final takedown?

Edited by Snowfella

I think people need to seriously chill out.

This young man who was "brutally assaulted" had uninvitedly put his hands on another woman prior to his arrest, "tickling" I believe the excuse was. Police were in their lawful right to arrest him, thats as far as it goes. No grey areas. He resisted arrest with swinging fists & many attempted kicks to the arresting officers heads..

Also went for another kick to an officer whilst standing, seconds before he was thrown to the ground and restained.

Now im against police brutality, though this was far from it, in my opinion.

Im sure alot of us here have actually seen much worse than this, I know I have! If you havent, i'm not saying to go and look for it, because you WILL find it, but even a few minutes on "youtube" will show you that this person had quite a placid encounter with "the law".

This person was lucky, as i see it.

If he had of complied with the officers for his wrong doings, none of this would have happened. And he WAS in the wrong.

If you think you are above the law, be sure you will soon find out you are not.

Peace.

• Like 3