The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Jox

Orchid ID

Found this weird little orchid growing up in a jacaranda tree a few days ago & was wondering if someone can help me work it out. The jacaranda is loaded with epiphytes (King orchids, Selenicereus, Elkhorns & Staghorns) I would not of noticed it if it was not for the little flowers.

post-11291-0-94202600-1361530027_thumb.j

post-11291-0-48467600-1361530077_thumb.j

post-11291-0-84363700-1361530126_thumb.j

Thanks to anyone how help with this one :)

Cheers

jox

post-11291-0-94202600-1361530027_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-48467600-1361530077_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-84363700-1361530126_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-94202600-1361530027_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-48467600-1361530077_thumb.jpg

post-11291-0-84363700-1361530126_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

one of the many native pencil orchids (Dockrillias), probably Dockrillia mortii

Docks are cooool-as and very tough. Check out D. teretifolim, D. wassellii, D. linguiforme, D. cucumerinum, D. striolata, D. pugioniformis, the list goes on.

I have all of the above growing nicely in trees around our garden, hell I've even got a hybrid! ( Dockrillia "Limestone") They all love a rough bark and a good open breezy situation, you can stick them on with a couple small dabs of liquid nails and Bob's yr uncle.

There's a couple showy ones from PNG so I'm always on the lookout for more Dockrillias when I'm up there.

They may not be as big and fancy as a South American Cattleya orchid, but for biodiversity they are great. They are a real hit with native orchid growers.

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 5

Nice mate, you should see some of the ones we have at moment.

• Like 1

I can always rely on you Halcyon Daze :wink:. I just get jealous every time you bring up PNG :P.

Thanks for the help mate!

Cheers

jox

Nice mate, you should see some of the ones we have at moment.

Well I better bring up some of that dragon fruit :lol:, just got to work out a time!

You should come up to PNG sometime, collect some orchids, kill some pigs, catch butterflies, sow your wild oats... just don't tell the missus.

• Like 2

BAGS ARE PACKED!! :lol:

PM'ING YOU FOR FLIGHT DETAILS NOW!! :drool2: HaHa LOL..........................................................................................Seriously BAGS ARE PACKED!! :wink:

Cheers

jox

We found D cucumerina & D teretifolium on the fire wood we were burning on the weekend, wonderful little plants.

I vaguely recall being told how D cucumerina was used medicinally but cant remember for what or by who for the life of me.

• Like 1

Nice finds shortly! I was thinking about that last night (Imagine how many epipyhtes got smash in the storms in the last few weeks!!)

I have been reading about Dockrillias on & off all night, manly about species found in southeast QLD & thanks to your help have work it out :).

I found D. bowmanii, I have keyed this out from the others with a few simple differences. The similar one D.mortii has a pink/purple column & slightly longer & pointier sepals, were D. bowmanii has a white column with shorter more rounded sepals.

Thank you all for helping me work this one out :worship:

Cheers

jox

• Like 1

Nice work mate, you'll be spotting them everywhere now.

• Like 1