The Corroboree
ghosty

fire starting.

^^LOL, saved your ass!!

I agree with waterboy about the pine resin, I get big chunks of this from hoop pines. It forms in big chunks over the wounds, if you have some of this in your pack it will make lighting a fire even easier.

• Like 1

^^LOL, saved your ass!!

lol not that there is any thing wrong with that

• Like 3

thx for the link big red, it was new for me, but once i saw the rubber and water, it was clear to me, how it would work.

what is super, is that one carries those two anyway, all the time.

i would even go for more bush skills other than fire making in this thread, like simple traps.

another one is, helicopter suddenly comes to rescue you, take signal mirror, and strech out hand, with a thumbs up, align the flashes of your mirror with your thumb (you can see the flash on your thumb) and with the helicopter / plane.

another one is, helicopter suddenly comes to rescue you, take signal mirror, and strech out hand, with a thumbs up, align the flashes of your mirror with your thumb (you can see the flash on your thumb) and with the helicopter / plane.

Is that so you don't blind the pilot, cause the aircraft to crash, and fumble the rescue? ... Re: the thumb bit.

grass tree's are the best im told. i dunno, my hands go to shit. but a mate can start a fire with them in less than 2 mins (to flames). one minute with a bow. he uses two types of grass tree spear woods. thin one as the drill. (that tree dont grow tall) and the thicker tall one for the base board. (edit- he cuts the thick one in half for the base.)

I've taken to masterbating with both hands to toughen them up for the drill LOL. or have i? another LOL.

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 3

Don't know if I've posted these before but you might find them interesting. This is how they commonly do it in PNG. It had been raining for a week so I don't know where they found the dry materials but the rule is everything must be very very dry.

Basically they set it up like this and just pull the cane/ bushrope up and down really fast pulling hard as they do it. They start off at a medium pace for 10 seconds and then get harder and faster as they do it until the cane actually snaps from the heat and pressure and 'a spark is born'. It all lasts about 30 seconds and is compared to having sex with some of there manly "powers" going into it. Apparently a man who has recently had sex will not be able to light good fires, so this may be part of your problem. Too much wanking is probably not recommended either lol.

This guy lit a smoke off it :)

post-8867-0-34477100-1361365243_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-33606900-1361365245_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-10842300-1361365247_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-57546600-1361365248_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-25222800-1361365250_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-82127200-1361365251_thumb.jp

post-8867-0-54221200-1361365253_thumb.jp

Also try a fire piston or a magnifying glass. I've kept a few old lenses for this purpose - just the glass bit, which is light and easy to carry and never runs out etc.

fire 1.JPG

fire 2.JPG

fire 3.JPG

fire 4.JPG

fire 5.JPG

fire 6.JPG

fire 7.JPG

fire 1.JPG

fire 2.JPG

fire 3.JPG

fire 4.JPG

fire 5.JPG

fire 6.JPG

fire 7.JPG

Edited by Halcyon Daze
  • Like 4

is he standing up with a longer drill? that might be of some help to me.. oh ell, back to my beloved bush to find a longer drill i think. i shall, when my camera decides to take a photo without deleting it, take some pics of my flint fire kit, and the drill bits im trying to use.

i played with it a bit last night and thought i as getting a bit better. still a way to go i think but it seems the hands do indeed get more used to it in time =)

as far as this thread merging into bush survival 101 SAB style goes.. i LOVE that! hat a great community we have here. thanks.

bush survival 101 sab style that would make a awesome thread

here is a cool fire style helps with the wind and makes a make shift stove

Edited by bigred82

You can also use bamboo you cut the culm to a usable portable length and cut a notch in it you yhen use a nother peice of bamboo and use it in a sawing motion in the notchwhich is easier than palming a rod imo the coalsfall throught the notch into your tinder. Hope that makes sense. I have also seen parabolics used to start fire and i have a sunlighter i used to ight ciggies with, a quick polish of the bottom of a soft drink can with toothpaste and use it as a parabolic lense to direct the concentrated suns beam at your tinder.

Edited by in_spirit
  • Like 1

Is that so you don't blind the pilot, cause the aircraft to crash, and fumble the rescue? ... Re: the thumb bit.

no, the thumb helps you to make sure the pilot will see your mirror flashing.

if you don't align the mirror perfectly, the pilot will not see it flashing.

just act it out, with a pretend mirror and plane, or just pretend pilot, you see?

my most important tip (for the 101 bush survival thread) is, carryenough water!

don't go into the bush, if it's hot, at all, the ammonts of water you have to drink on hot day's are astronomical.

sure creek water is nice, but are you sure they are running, with water currently?

my survival is more, i will be in the state forest on my bike and it breaks down . its more bush mechanics

then if that fails a long as walk home. The only time when i like people littering in the forest is when you

breakdown ( stacked it on a bike with a steel tank petrol was pissing out i remembered a cream tub a bit back

so i ran got it and salvaged a litre of petrol. my tank fucked i found a old fanta bottle with the black bottom and i rigged

up a fuel system. it worked i was on my way im half way to mt crosby from mt nebo its 4 oclock in the middle of july

fucking cold i ran out of petrol. thinking only a few miles , Started to push the bike fuck i was wrong it got to the point i could not

go any further, nothing to start a fire with. So i got to thinking, freezing thought about my spark plug i had about for drops of gas out of the line

i got it lit i was stoked then it went out sitting there freezing started rubbing sticks could not do it .Then it hit me the float in my carby

pried it open with plyers drenched a rage in what petrol it had in it then a little oil out of the sump finnaly got a rip roaring fire

going. There was a small stream so i cut the top off my fanta bottle and washed it and filled it up . back at the fire i took

my kick starter off and put it in the fire till hot and used it to heat up my water and put my stock cube out of my first aid kit

and drank my oily soup . I dont know how the stock cube got in my first aid kit . Moral of the story take a few stock cubes

when going bush they are the best when its 4.c

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 1

LOL. awesome story BigRed :worship:

boiled in an engine cover.. now, thats how real men do it. LOL.

FYI, this dont happen with a Yamaha :wave-finger:

(edit) on a related note, i used to have a kawasaki bike.. it was always ready to provide fire. it was always teetering on the edge of self combustion..

(edit again) some of my keys aint working =(

Edited by ghosty
  • Like 1

no i used the kick start leaver and then put in into the fire till hot and stuck it in the water of the fanta bottle, took a bit

to get it really hot but not to much. Looking back on it stuff like that was probably the best times of my life. and the weirdest

thing was the stock cube i had a little first aid kit fucks me how it got there. Sorry ghosty it was a xt 250 the old ag bike

but put it this way, my stack would was pretty bad. It is a tough heavy mother, started first kick even when cold for like a year.

Just went like it had its on will never missed a beat and we thrashed it . like a faithful kelpy the old Yamaha ag bikes are a testimont

to engineering and so many farmers have them .

edit i had a old honda road bike that but would start grass fires as all the hole in the exhaust

Edited by bigred82

no, the thumb helps you to make sure the pilot will see your mirror flashing.

if you don't align the mirror perfectly, the pilot will not see it flashing.

just act it out, with a pretend mirror and plane, or just pretend pilot, you see?

just take a green laser and point it at the pilot. Then they will send this guy to help you dont worry

he is a professional

2285l.jpg

Edited by bigred82
  • Like 2

Just putting the inner tube out there.... when at -12 degrees, 45 knot wind, 3 days from anywhere foot at 1200 masl and wet through it was the ONLY way to get anything to catch fire through generating enough heat. All smoke is toxic - wouldnt recomend a pile of tyres :wink: . Only used it once, but always carry it.

lol...possum wont cut it under conditions as above, but have used fur before to good effect.

Orange peel is a great tinder if you can keep moisture out of it, also some pine resins.

EDIT - also steel wool catches fire if you put jumper cables onto it :wink:

If you use th finest steel wool and keep it in a tin for such purposes, it will light with the smallest spark i.e. two rocks etc th iron is diying to oxidise and it starts hot..

afoaf is in jail and he uses a AA battery with a little alfoil cut into thin strips with a razor to light his

smoke he even used pencils and dryer lint as well. A lighter is a prohibited item if caught with one its

7 days solitary poor guy

• Like 1

my survival is more, i will be in the state forest on my bike and it breaks down . its more bush mechanics

then if that fails a long as walk home. The only time when i like people littering in the forest is when you

breakdown ( stacked it on a bike with a steel tank petrol was pissing out i remembered a cream tub a bit back

so i ran got it and salvaged a litre of petrol. my tank fucked i found a old fanta bottle with the black bottom and i rigged

up a fuel system. it worked i was on my way im half way to mt crosby from mt nebo its 4 oclock in the middle of july

fucking cold i ran out of petrol. thinking only a few miles , Started to push the bike fuck i was wrong it got to the point i could not

go any further, nothing to start a fire with. So i got to thinking, freezing thought about my spark plug i had about for drops of gas out of the line

i got it lit i was stoked then it went out sitting there freezing started rubbing sticks could not do it .Then it hit me the float in my carby

pried it open with plyers drenched a rage in what petrol it had in it then a little oil out of the sump finnaly got a rip roaring fire

going. There was a small stream so i cut the top off my fanta bottle and washed it and filled it up . back at the fire i took

my kick starter off and put it in the fire till hot and used it to heat up my water and put my stock cube out of my first aid kit

and drank my oily soup . I dont know how the stock cube got in my first aid kit . Moral of the story take a few stock cubes

when going bush they are the best when its 4.c

hypothermia, is probably a bigger killer, than dying from thierst, and i add, that a person can die from it even at +14 deg C, if you don't hav proper clothing, or/and got wet.

wet is a killer, again fire can dry you and your cloth out, and you will either survive, or at least be far more comfortable.

if you got lost, or similar, you don't want to have to move all night to stay warm, as you have to conserve your energy.

i totaly relate to your single stock cube, in my case it was a single egg, shared for two people.

• Like 2

most folk dont realise they have hypothermia developing, always keep an eye on people with you for signs of stumbling and slight confusion.

Wet and windy conditions are the really problematic conditions, also the art of clothing layering is important you can be "waterproof" but sweating heavily underneath (even when very cold) that can bring your core temp down.

• Like 1