The Corroboree
stjimi

Budding Ethnobotanic Gardner

Hi,

So after trip to South America, I have become really enthralled with cacti cultivation. would love to start gardening but not sure where to start. If anyone has some advice or plants/seed-for-sale/give away I would be more than interested.So amazed and delighted that there is a vibrant community in Aus. Thought I was the only afficionado. I am in Adelaide.

Cheers..

The shop run by the admin of this forum is a good place to start:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/shop/

Otherwise post a wanted-to-by list in the Seed & Plant Exchange.

And advice: Grow as much as you can. There is always room for one more pot. And yes, sometimes you can "love those god damn cacti more than you love me!"

Welcome to the forum stjimi :) Keep your eye out for give aways, they happen almost weekly here. What is your favourite cactus?

And yes, sometimes you can "love those god damn cacti more than you love me!"

lol, you get ^ that line do you Alice. I get ...."You love that Forum more than me".... but that isn't true.....................my dog is pretty high on the list :wink:

:)

Cheers Alice,

I can see the distinct possibility of hearing those words in the not-too-distant future... I will check out the shop.. Any personal favourites?

Thanks Amazonian. Will keep an eye out for freebess. To be honest I have only had experience with San

Pedro and Bridgesii. Both of which have been amazing. Bridgesii is probably my favourite as it is easiest to work with.

Alice as per your suggestion here is my wanting to buy list:

1. Bridgesii or Bridgesii cross
  2. Peruvian Torch cactus (Trichocereus peruvianus) or a cross.
  3. Any interesting and magical cactus.
  4. Interesting accacia species that grow in Adelaide climate...

cheers again,

wow. the Trichocereus scopulicola looks cool! I wonder if this is grown in Australia?

Hi, and welcome. You have come to the right place. E-Bay sellers can often charge a ridiculous small fortune for cacti plants & seeds.

Shoot me your details via PM, and I'll donate a couple of tiny Bridgii x seedlings to help get your collection underway.

Some other places for sourcing stuff :

http://www.herbalistics.com.au/shop/catalog/

http://www.seedsaustralia.net/shop/

• Like 3

cheers Pyslo,

PM'ed

Hi there,

I cant help with actual plants as i am in new zealand but if you would like to raise some cacti from seed i have a few varieties im happy to send you?

Hi stjimi and welcome, if you PM me your details i will russle up some seeds for you to start your addiction and it will become an addiction.

Cheers Deadstar and bogfog. I have PM'ed.

Hey stjimi :)

Welcome to the forums buddy.

I'm a fellow adelaidean ( inner southern burbs ). If ya shoot me a pm, I'm sure i could find a couple of nice cacti to get your collection going.

Thanks you so much for all the seeds that I recieved in the post. :lol::worship: I have PMed you all individually but just wanted to say a huge thank you for the time and effort that it would have taken. sorry i haven't replyed earlier, my thesis was due and i was in frantic, busy, crazy mode for a few weeks. they are in the ground and I look forward to giving back/paying forward some produce from them.

• Like 1

Did the ones from NZ show up mate?

they did!! Thank you so much.