The Corroboree
Bread Filter

Help Needed - Privacy Breach from Another Forum

Google, yahoo and other search engines index and cache results from web pages which they crawl around/through. It can then be picked up by Google search or even cached pages if they're deleted/removed/modified

Great. I just wanted it removed and would have been happy with that.

I am going to sue him now.

The post has been deleted from that forum now, but the guy below has quoted it so it is still there

The post has been deleted from that forum now, but the guy below has quoted it so it is still there

So basically the delete was useless.

• Like 1

it hasnt been picked up by bots yet, i did a search.... nothing

i can pm the other guy who quoted and ask him to remove it?

• Like 1

it hasnt been picked up by bots yet, i did a search.... nothing

i can pm the other guy who quoted and ask him to remove it?

That's reassuring.

I'd appreciate it if you could do that. Thanks Bush Turkey.

his inbox is full :( But looks like someone is already trying to conatct him to get it removed

Edit: PM'd.

Edited by Alice

6 hours later, and with absolutely no help from the Admin or owner of the site, I was able to get it removed.

Now on to the legal stuff....

A big thanks to all here who have helped out with this. I really appreciate all of your help.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this before? Can they offer any advice in how to press charged against someone who has published private and privileged information in the public domain?

I'd say Torsten is the best person to talk to about that...maybe shoot him a PM mate?

[

What does that mean? Also what do you mean by get the URL? Do you mean the link to the page?

It's just a way to say the web address (www.blahblahblah.com/forum/index.php?&showtopic) , but if you got a full screenshot it will be in that anyway.

I'd say Torsten is the best person to talk to about that...maybe shoot him a PM mate?

Thanks for the tip. He was the first person I messaged before I started the thread. He is not usually online until much later though.

[

It's just a way to say the web address (www.blahblahblah.com/forum/index.php?&showtopic) , but if you got a full screenshot it will be in that anyway.

That's what I thought. I just thought "get" the URL meant that I had to do something else :)

Nevermind

Edited by Khala

I would definitely consult your house mate for legal advice , and perhaps another opinion also [ maybe from a free legal service ] in respect to suing the bastard .

as I learnt in my recent dramas there are very strict limits to what you can sue for. Firstly you need to be clear whether the defamation was to a person or a business as the privacy act does not apply to businesses [the reason why we can't sue for simple infringement of privacy]. As an individual you have a lot of privacy rights and may not need to prove much in the way of damage to your reputation or income to actually have a case. Most importantly you need to know who posted the information and you need some proof of this, such as other conversations or an admission that he knows you or a post with his real name or business promotion. So make sure to download other pages from the forum that help you support this claim. You will also need to establish that the defamation was public and how long it was there for. You also need to think very hard whether you have deamed him or his business so it doesn't come back to bite you somehow.

Then look at how he got your personal information and whether this was provided to him under some privacy agreement. eg if he is an online vendor and you purchased stuff from him then check his privacy policy on his website and save a screenshot.

I really don't kno enough to give any decent advice other than to collect proof. Lots of proof. not the emotional stuff, but facts.

I am going to sue him now.

Is it really worth it?

You got the posts taken down.

You really want to deal w/hiring lawyers, going to court, etc.?

& then if you do get a decision in your favour, getting him to pay up might be another matter.

as I learnt in my recent dramas there are very strict limits to what you can sue for. Firstly you need to be clear whether the defamation was to a person or a business as the privacy act does not apply to businesses [the reason why we can't sue for simple infringement of privacy]. As an individual you have a lot of privacy rights and may not need to prove much in the way of damage to your reputation or income to actually have a case. Most importantly you need to know who posted the information and you need some proof of this, such as other conversations or an admission that he knows you or a post with his real name or business promotion. So make sure to download other pages from the forum that help you support this claim. You will also need to establish that the defamation was public and how long it was there for. You also need to think very hard whether you have deamed him or his business so it doesn't come back to bite you somehow.

Then look at how he got your personal information and whether this was provided to him under some privacy agreement. eg if he is an online vendor and you purchased stuff from him then check his privacy policy on his website and save a screenshot.

I really don't kno enough to give any decent advice other than to collect proof. Lots of proof. not the emotional stuff, but facts.

Thanks for the reply.

His defamation against me was a person not a business. As in I am not a business.

I know who the guy is who posted the info. There are lots of admissions that he knows me including correspondence by email as well as the forum interaction.

It was up there for 6 hours before it was removed. He got my info as I bought some incense from his business. His website has now ceased trading so it can't be viewed anymore.

I have posted facts about his business practices that may be deemed as defamation. Everything I have posted has been 100% factual though and I have documentation to back everything up. Many other people have posted about this guys dodgy ways as well.

As the guy was allegedly raided by the Police and had his stock seized I'd say he'd file for bankruptcy if I tried to sue him.

Is it really worth it?

You got the posts taken down.

You really want to deal w/hiring lawyers, going to court, etc.?

& then if you do get a decision in your favour, getting him to pay up might be another matter.

That is what I have been thinking. All I wanted was the posts to be taken down. I am that the offending information was there for over 6 hours.

The legal costs won't affect me that much as I have a Barrister and Solicitor in the family.

I'd say the guy will file for bankruptcy if I sued him as I said above. At least everyone knows that the guys is a snake and not to trust a word that comes out of his mouth now.

If you really want to make sure it's gone I'd double check that the forum hasn't been cashed by the "wayback machine". If it crawled the forum while the post was up there's every chance it's saved and easily found by anyone.

If you really want to make sure it's gone I'd double check that the forum hasn't been cashed by the "wayback machine". If it crawled the forum while the post was up there's every chance it's saved and easily found by anyone.

That's good thinking. I just checked and it wasn't there that I could find.

Thanks for that.