The Corroboree
fydesvindico

Juul's Giant??

Question

hey guys,

scored these for free off of a family friend.

they've barely got any spines, my first thought was maybe a scop, but they look too pach to be... now i'm thinkin juul's giant?

what do you guys think.

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-84414900-1349405197_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-13375400-1349405432_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-61648300-1349405445_thumb.jpg

Edited by fydesvindico
  • Like 5

pach from what my uneducamated mind tells me,

• Like 1

it looks heaps different in the pics than in person, it's actually quite glaucous.. and different than PC's i've grown in aus, then again climate can play a large role with these things... i'm not sure... they're beauties nonetheless.

• Like 1

Looks Pach to me, not exactly the PC though

This is a fairly trivial observation but Juul's Giant is a horticultural tradename for a clone line that came out of Cactus Gems in Cupertino years ago.

Its likely just a not-uncommon pachanoi form from Southern Peru but the name is really only accurately applied to the lineage arising from that clone.

• Like 1

That's a nice pachanoi alright, awesome specimes too, doesnt look like the PC pach

predominate NZ pachanoi, its not a pc thats for sure , NZ pach here all looks like that and similar to pics ive seen of pachanoi growing in Ecuador

• Like 2

I got a NZ pachanoi. It does look a bit like my kk339, which is actually what I consider a classic phenotype of pachanoi.

Note: the NZ pachanoi has considerably smaller spines than the kk339, despite the overall resemblance

Due to CITES this suggestion won't be useful in NZ or Oz but if there are people in the US wanting to locate a cutting of Juul's with a short lineage of propagators drop me an email and I'll be happy to put you in touch with someone who has a number of them growing from stock that he rescued from Tom Juul's garden before that part of the old garden site was finally razed for a building project.

Edited by trucha
  • Like 1

I'd really love to know where to get a nice Juuls! for reasonable price or trade and of course know for sure its a Juuls' but I'll also add any old pach to my collection (even got one on its way from peru at the eom) ...

but I am unable to message or see profiles I guess cause I've been lurking too much lol I have been active over at the N00k ...

Thanks in advance if you can help Trucha! same name over @ N00k but don't go outta your way... this would just about complete my collection for now since I have seedling growing out of my ears now lol (and some juuls cross seeds)

and btw Im really enjoying the enthusiasm over here, alot, which I wish was more obvious over at the n00k,, great ppl in general tho :)

@ fydesvindico

NM@ what I deleted ... it actually looks more like a Pach I was gifted to me , which has slightly larger fuzzy aeroles like that, peruvianus like but maybe a little bigger tho. I should have looked closer at the other pic.. that particular vendor had some pics of theirs with flower buds and they weren't white or black but like blondie, kinda light brown looking... I suppose they could have been dirty or weathered ... but the notable thing was the way the aeroles look a bit fuzzier/feltier, like that ... I've got many of the american pc pach, and from pics I thought it was the same but maybe just different due to cali sun/temps, but I think its different and looks alot like yours

also my cousin is bringing me one from peru that has thick aeroles like that (fingers crossed)

Edited by Spine Collector

Drop me an email at keepertrout[at]gmail.com.

I really should spend time at forums like the Nook and elsewhere but I rarely have predictable time to find for visiting here.

Does anyone have pics of Juuls Giant or r there some already posted here? Id love to buy trade a cut aswell Trucha if there is a source in Oz. Im going to a collectors soon that lives in south west VIC im assuming u know this person ?? ( based on ur Pedro Book) Mayb they will have some?

Ill find out in a couple weeks anyway .

Edited by smigsbigfigz

'Juuls Giant' X T. pachanoi = (both cactus on the left)

They are by far the fastest growing cactus in my collection.

2013-01-11143922_zps5285827e.jpg

• Like 1

Their awesome looking plants DTb ! I really like the one wit yellow stones . Is it a scop x?

Thanks dude!

The one with yellow pebbles in Super Pedro, its 3.5 years old

The middle is a 2.5 year old 'Juuls Giant' X T. pachanoi

The left is a cutting taken from the middle at the start of spring, its exploded easily doubling the growth on the Super Pedro

smigsbigfigz there may be live material in Oz but I'm not sure it is still alive. I sent Snu a small one some years ago but he had his whole cactus collection stolen this past year.

• Like 1

I had an interesting thought today, regarding this piece of correspondence I received a while back:

Hi there,

Thank you for the trades and for your comments regarding the cactus which I was told was Juul's Giant. It originally came from a collector in Gisborne who apparently acquired it in the late 1960s maybe early 70s. A friend bought a cutting from him and his own plant is HUGE. He gave me a cutting of his and it too is huge. Towers above a single storey house.

<the rest>

So the plant I bought was supposedly a Juul's Giant (in New Zealand). But after growing it out, I cannot tell it apart from the standard NZ Pachanoi - I've never seen two plants look more identical. So my usual thought is 'her plant is standard NZ Pachanoi'. But my second thought it - NZ Pachanoi could be a Juul's Giant.

It's only a thought at this stage, and I'd rather prove it wrong than just assume so. :)

No one knows anything about the original home of Juuls but its probable that it was collected on one of the UC expeditions to South America in the 1950s. The most common belief is that it lost its collection data during transit.

Juuls is a horticultural clone name applied to the offspring from the huge single plant that produced the production mothers for Cactus Gems. The first time I saw the old mother at Juul's it too was huge and towering above a single story house (poking through a mass of vines and shrubbery that had completely engulfed it)

It looks very much like some of what still grows around and is propagated in Arequipa, Peru so there is absolutely no reason to think that more plants might not have been collected by someone out of those same populations and taken to NZ. Those would not be actual clones of Juul's but would be the same form/variety of pachanoi (or whatever level of pachanoi you want to call it). Unless of course the plant the cuts were taken from were grown from cuts taken from wherever Juul's came from. Obviously propagating cuttings and moving cuttings around also moves those clones around to become multiple mothers.

Its also plausible a cutting could have been acquired in the 1960s or 1970s from Tom Juuls or Jim Daniel that was mailed or carried to NZ by someone - a lot of that has occurred in history.

All that said there are really similar plants farther north as well. Who knows what is really wild and what was moved around by people at this point of course.

Once things get farther along it could be possible to add it to the dna sampling list. That would be the way to check for an actual clone. Drop me a PM.

This cutting was sold to me as Juuls Giant but i realy dont think it is . It is a lot fatter than the average pach ( mine has shrunk alot through dehydration and putting down roots), and has quite large aereolas compared to my other pachanio's. The mother i got it off is aprox 3m tall and from a small collector in Melbourne. post-12046-0-41014900-1358078003_thumb.jpost-12046-0-53934900-1358078020_thumb.j

PS

(I sent Snu a small one some years ago but he had his whole cactus collection stolen this past year.)

That totally suks arse , i would imagine that collection to b massive , wat pricks , well i hope they got pricked many many times.

post-12046-0-41014900-1358078003_thumb.jpg

post-12046-0-53934900-1358078020_thumb.jpg

post-12046-0-41014900-1358078003_thumb.jpg

post-12046-0-53934900-1358078020_thumb.jpg

almost looks Knuthianus.... x Peru maybe?

I think i know this Variety. It was brought into cultivation by Friedrich Ritter as a Pachanoi. Not sure about the true origins or what it has to do with the TJG though. Just a very cool type!

Edited by Evil Genius

Yeh it is a cool plant thats y i grabbed it even though i was a bit suss on it being a TJG, others av said it may b something called "fastest"? . He also tried selling me a( wat he said to b positively IDd as) T.Peruvianus v ressler that was so cuzcoensis, but there was no telling him that.

Thanks for ur replies !

smigsbigfigz there may be live material in Oz but I'm not sure it is still alive. I sent Snu a small one some years ago but he had his whole cactus collection stolen this past year.

Thanks Trucha

I dont want to put up any names in a public forum but i wasnt refering to Snu . Female collector that lives in that part of the world .

Cheers

Smigs

There is no telling lots of people many things.

• Like 2