The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
mindperformer

Spiral-Plants

Begonia rex 'Escargot'

xbhe84.jpg

Aloe polyphylla (there are also some with more distinct spiral-formations)

n3kknl.jpg

Turbina corymbosa:

qmxb36.jpg

Tabernaemontana pandacaqui- flower:

qnjmo2.jpg

Corkscrew vine (Vigna caracalla):

http://www.geo.de/reisen/community/bild/354514/Malaga-Spanien-Schneckenbohne

• Like 2

Do you mind if i contribute a little bit tomorrow when the sun rises again? :)

pandanus is nice and a popular ethnobotanical used by aboriginals and in asia (not sure about efficacy).

the twin fibonacci spiral is common with flowers eg how the florets/seeds are packed onto a sunflower, the "skin" of a pineapple.

Edited by ThunderIdeal

That's one crazy ass broccoli haha

Agreed. I would have always eaten my broccoli as a kid if it looked that funky.

• Like 1

Fibonacci spiral!

I'm having trouble seeing the Fibonacci sequence in the Aloe, personally.

Albuca spiralis looks absolutely extraterrestrial...

Romanesco broccoli is one of my favourite vegetables :-)

Spirals are everywhere, from DNA to the helical structure of helium-crystals.

The number phi (for reckoning the golden ratio) and Euler's number are very important in nature and the golden ratio is also found in human anatomy and the pyramid of gizeh, the nautilus, sunflower, rose, ivy... among others. The number phi could be called the most irrational and noble number.

The Euler's number is the base for natural logarithms and also irrational and transcendent and with it you can predict the growth of bacteria for example. It is the base of many growth- and decay processes. With it one can generate the logarithmic spiral.

The golden spiral (phi) is a special case of the logarithmic spiral...

The main point is that 1.618 is also the ratio of the DNA structure and is the only ratio that allows complete information or geometry to cascade down the harmonic series without destructive interference (acheiving perfect fractal "implosive' data/wave compression) - spin path to zero point.

One 360 degree turn of DNA measures 34 angstroms in the direction of the axis. The width of the molecule is 20 angstroms, to the nearest angstrom. These lengths, 34:20, are in the ratio of the golden mean, within thelimits of the accuracy of the measurements. Each DNA strand contains periodically recurring phosphate and sugar subunits. There are 10 such phosphate-sugar groups in each full 360 degree revolution of the DNA spiral. Thus the amount of rotation of each of these subunits around the DNA cylinder is 360 degrees divided by 10, or 36 degrees. This is exactly half the pentagon rotation, showing a close relation of the DNA sub-unit to the golden mean.

The four lenghts of the pentagram are also in golden ratio to one another, like the golden spiral.

Here my plant-associations (not exactly) to this:

post-11842-0-08810300-1345840808_thumb.j

post-11842-0-08810300-1345840808_thumb.jpg

post-11842-0-08810300-1345840808_thumb.jpg

Edited by mindperformer

golden ratio, that's why art deco and jugendstil is so beautifull.

now, most items get designed in a non golden rule ratio, which makes them ugly and agressive looking.

and you know why? because we live in an ugly time, were it's all about consumer driven competition (mine is bigger than yours, mine looks more top notch than yours) and not, ABOUT CALMING BEAUTY, which makes nature so special.

one time in the furure, all plants and nature will be illegal and not accessable to ordinary humans.

and the multy big money makers will reserve this pleasure and source of inventions just for themselves.

don't get me wrong i want everybody on this planet to be rich!

Edited by planthelper
  • Like 1

Woke up this morning and first thing on my mind was the romanesco broccoli picture! Such beauty! Might just have to make it my screensaver.

@ planthelper: I absolutely agree with you, its all about making more and more money and the western rationalism, pragmatism, belief in progress and demystification poisoned many countries in the world...

Psychical most humans strongly diverge from the sense of nature.