The Corroboree
Bigred

glow in the dark mushrooms mycena species

on amazon they have these glow in the dark mushrooms was wondering if anyone has ever grown these i think they look cool

or can anyone get spores i am considering getting it of amazon but would rather get it australia

post-11782-0-23731000-1345498508_thumb.j

post-11782-0-23731000-1345498508_thumb.jpg

post-11782-0-23731000-1345498508_thumb.jpg

At the right time of the year I have found plenty of these growing individually & in massive clumps up on the mountains behind the Goldy but I have never thought taking spore prints.

When they fruit again, I would be more than happy to give it a go.

If you are in SEQ you can find them by the thousands in coastal rainforests.

Go looking at night and they are easy to spot.

I found a log as fat as my leg (and almost as long) covered in them once and I put the whole log in my terrarium. It fruited regularly for about two years. I had literally thousands come out over that time.

Harvest such things sustainably :)

thanks so much my uncle has alot of land at mudgeribar i think that is how its spelt will give it a go if any one finds one please take a print

i never knew that there were glow in the dark mushrooms, thats pretty cool !

I believe they are called Mycena chlorophos. But there may be a couple of related species.

fungi is so amazing wonder why nature made it glow like that

fungi is so amazing wonder why nature made it glow like that

Funny you mention this I showed this to my brother earlier and he actually asked me the exact same thing.

The only reason i could think of is that it developed it as a warning to animals not to eat it, much like some animals and plants have evolved bright colouring to scare anything off from eating it.

• Like 1

We found some at Terania Creek in northern NSW whilst "on" their magical cousins....

You can imagine our excitement/disbelief I'm sure.

A friend has since found larger ones growing in his backyard and a type that seem to grow upside down, as in the cap is inverted....

We have much to learn from these guys I reckon.

Did anyone hear anything about the supposed "fungus" they've found in the amazon that "eats polystyrene foam"???

can anyone get spores i am considering getting it of amazon but would rather get it australia

If you have some advice/info on how to do this successfully I'd be happy to give it a go and send you some bigred82, I'll be back at the site I saw them soon.... And as I said a friend has 2 different types growing from a tree in his yard also....

• Like 1

to do it right you need to make a glove box and get some isocol and read up shroomery has heaps of info

well the best way i have found is to buy the small plastic jars and find a mushroom that is as small as the lid and place the mushroom on the inverted lid then put the jar over but thed00dabides is right there is plenty of info on this site just search it