The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
donkedhamzat

Can anyone recommend me a good Microscope for research?

Hi everyone!

New here, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good microscope.

Also I'm looking for some interesting spores to look at when I get said microscope.

Thank you for all the help.

Also I have already done a lot of microscope work, I am studying a bachelor of science, and already have a diploma in laboratory techniques.

there is a nice one on ebay for $80

Personally i like Olympus, the unit i use most for Myco work is my CX31, its not top end but it does most of what i want & is reasonably comfortable to use for extended periods.

Certainly not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but you get what you pay for.

I am also curious about this topic, I cant recommend a microscope but i am interested in hearing what sorts of magnifications would be required for hobby level mycology research :)

Ive heard 400x is what you need for mycology. I got a 400x from a lab store in australia. Im on my phone atm so i cant link to it. I paid quite a bit for it though because Im doing a bachelor in science and i wanted to keep it for long time use.

On ebay you can buy digital microscopes that do up to 800x for under $100.

Has anyone used a cheapo ebay digial microscope for hobby level mycology? or do most SAB member save their pennies for a big dollar microscope?

• Like 2

I tried my kid's toy microscope on a spore print I got from a random mushroom I found in next door's rose garden. Very frustrating. I could see there were spores on the slide at the lower magnifications but could see nothing through the so called 900x lense except a blur. I'm saving my pennies for something decent.

i am also keen on getting a usb microscope i read they are great for looking into jars and are really handy . It aslo has the slide feature too it look really simple to operate but witch one is the best to buy

Has anyone used a cheapo ebay digial microscope for hobby level mycology?

i am also keen on getting a usb microscope i read they are great for looking into jars and are really handy .

After reading countless reviews on Amazon about this style of device, the concensus is that they are of a poor quality, do not perform at stated magnification, and break easily. For a disposable toy, it could be fun (SAB member Niggles bought one, and there are some great macros photos, rather than microscopic) but dont expect to pass it down to your grandkids.

• Like 1

i spose it goes for pressure cookers to if you get a decent one your grand kids will get great use out of it i like the idea of using it for identifying pest's in the garden but your right its just a toy