The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Dirty Old Man

Seasonality of acacia tryptamine content?

I have searched and read several conflicting reports of native acacia's tryptamine content varying significantly from ssummer to winter.

1. Which season is tryptamine content highest in?

2. Does this vary from species to species?

Thanks,

Dom

Experiments are underway to look at environmental and seasonal effects on cloned individuals from five species. But it will be several years before results are ready. Maybe someone else is working on something that will produce results sooner?

Thanks for the reply,

Sounds like a very interesting and worth while project.

I cant wait to see the results.

Forgot to ask, has there been any research done on seasonal and environmental factors of tryptamine content of other plants?

i've posted twice the mckennas notes on daily variability of alkaloids in psychotria but no one seems much interested,i pick most plants using their guidelines if i can.

t s t .

Thanks for the reply Tst.

I havent been around here for long so I missed your posts. I am very interested though.

You wouldn't be able to help me with any links would you?

Yeah can you post it tst?

I notice on the SAB site for Acacia Baileyana:tryptamine in autumn, nil alkaloids in summer, and tryptamine and tetrahydroharman in spring. from PIHKAL...anyone confirm this?

From thirty-seven samples of P. viridis, collected in the morning on the same day from several locations throughout Brazil, the DMT concentrations were found to range from 0.00 to 17.65 milligram per gram (mg/g) of dried leaf. Most samples had a value of approximately 10mg/g DMT, and only one had undetectable amounts. It is possible that this specimen was not P. viridis, but another species of Psychotria.

Most remarkable were the results from the consecutive samples taken from the same plant at several different times throughout the day. The highest levels of DMT were found in those leaves that were collected at dawn (8.97mg/g) or before dusk (9.52 mg/g DMT). The leaves that had the least amount of DMT were those collected at midnight (5.57 mg/g), and another depression in alkaloid content appeared near 10:100 am (8.01 mg/g DMT) and subsequent values remained low throughout the hotter parts of the day. One could argue that these are simply variable values from different leaves, although special consideration was taken to include leaves at equivalent stages of development. It is also important to note that these quantitative results are in agreement with what has been observed over years of practical experience.

From Phytochemistry and Neuropharmacology of Ayahuasca, JC Callaway, 1999, in Ayahuasca by R Metzner

t s t .

This McKenna research is generally regarded with suspicion. If dmt levels really did fluctuate this much then the major alkaloid in psychotria would have had to be some complex indole, with dmt being only an intermediate. That is not the case though.

I think this research really needs to be redone with better elimination of chance, and a much greater and more homogenous sample.

I came across a nice article today covering this

Toxic amines and alkaloids from acacia rigidula

Phytochemistry, Volume 49, Issue 5, 5 November 1998, Pages 1377-1380

Beverly A. Clement, Christina M. Goff and T. David A. Forbes

Hers the important bit

quote:

Early season levels of tryptamine in A berlandieri range from 89 to 013 ppb while late

season levels range between 176 and 223 ppb N,N-

Dimethyltryptamine was only detected in late season

guajillo at levels ranging between 64 and 004 ppb

if anyone finds this seed, plz let me know. its a common weed somewhere in the world, but no one sells the seed. this is the acacia that supposedly had a whole host of amphetamines in it. I doubt the research, but would like one anyway

Which one-rigidula or berlandieri?

sorry, berlandieri

# Common English Names: Plains Acacia, Berlandier's Acacia

# Common Spanish Names: Guajillo

# Scientific Name: Acacia berlandieri (ah-KAY-shuh ber-LAN-dee-air-aye)

# Family: Fabaceae (Legume Family)

# Geographic Range: Rio Grande Plains northwest to eastern Brewster County in Trans-Pecos Texas, southeastern New Mexico, south to San Luis Potosí, Querétaro, Hidalgo, and Veracruz, Mexico.

# Plant Form: Large shrub at 10' H x 10' W, occasional small tree to 15+' H.

# Remarks: Famous honey plant; balls of fragrant, creamy white flowers in spring and occasionally later through fall; fernlike leaves and globose flowers make it a desirable ornamental; adaptable soil-wise, but needs good drainage, low water, full sun. Chihuahuan Desert Plants

24''Acacia Berlanderi trees are available at

aridzonetrees.com,although i didn't inquire about seeds,but will.

this tree seems like the perfect nitrogen fixing companion for those small dumpling type cactus that need subtle shade,i'm sure the nitrogen would help too.

in latin an a sounds like the u in cut.

u(h)-ku-zi-u(h)

and it doesn't matter from what language the second name came from,

it aswell has to be spelled as it it would be latin.

just lissen to the pope next time a bit more carefully, lol.

it's umen not amen!

Clement, Goff and Forbes wrote the original paper. Apparently Shulgin and others have tried to discuss the paper with them without any success. The range of chemicals found in the analysis seems to suggest sloppy lab technique (ie dirty beakers) and hence such profound research would need to be confirmed before it is to be believed.

Hi Maca

Maca:

Yeah can you post it tst?

I notice on the SAB site for Acacia Baileyana:tryptamine in autumn, nil alkaloids in summer, and tryptamine and tetrahydroharman in spring. from PIHKAL...anyone confirm this?

yep, its from

Repke, D.B., Mandell, D.M. & Thomas, J.H. 1973. Alkaloids of Acacia baileyana. Lloydia 36(2), 211-213.

So now I have to buy a UV lamp