The Corroboree
Zen Peddler

Today's disturbing facebook page...

woah! that is offencive, er... material. thankfully it's facebook, all too easy to dismiss.

seen this on another forum...apparently if you are not on facebook you are a serial killer

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...uspicious.html

Quote: Facebook has become such a pervasive force in modern society that increasing numbers of employers, and even some psychologists, believe people who aren't on social networking sites are 'suspicious.'

The German magazine Der Taggspiegel went so far as to point out that accused theater shooter James Holmes and Norwegian mass murder Anders Behring Breivik have common ground in their lack of Facebook profiles.

On a more tangible level, Forbes.com reports that human resources departments across the country are becoming more wary of young job candidates who don't use the site.

Facebook

Normal: Facebook has become so pervasive in this culture that not having a profile is considered 'abnormal'

The common concern among bosses is that a lack of Facebook could mean the applicant's account could be so full of red flags that it had to be deleted.

Slate.com tech reporter Farhad Manjoo wrote in an advice column that young people shouldn't date anyone who isn't on Facebook.

all this fear mongering tells me that my facebook fears are true. info gathering for .gov etc. now i see it's at the point where even bosses or bosses to be will use it to find background info on you. it just isnt right. what ever happened to trust, face value and first impressions? facebook sure has had a massive impact on our psuedo-culture. im just not sure there is a good side to it.

this info however, will keep me safe. you see, i have noticed the moon doesnt have a facebook account and it watches me almost every night! i suspected it was "up to something" now im sure. LOL

• Like 1

well done for promoting it.

3677 likes? when I saw it there was only 8. Anyway, reported it to fb for racism.

On a more tangible level, Forbes.com reports that human resources departments across the country are becoming more wary of young job candidates who don't use the site.

The common concern among bosses is that a lack of Facebook could mean the applicant's account could be so full of red flags that it had to be deleted.

And I'd be wary of any employer who was asking about my Facebook usage. My concern would be that they were snoopy bastards.

• Like 2

An aboriginal guy i know got a lawyer to remove google links to a 'hate site'. Got his own page for his trouble:

https://encyclopedia...eve_Hodder-Watt

This is what he was trying to ban:

https://encyclopedia...a.se/Aboriginal

100x worse than any facebook shit. Of course it's 'satire' and you should shut the fuck up about it being racist.

wholyCRAP! thats the worst!! i love my native aussies, it's the only sense of culture i have to follow as a white aussie from gods only knows where. seeing that somebody made that page, made me actually feel sick. for perhaps the very first time. and i thought i had seen it all. what would i like? that crap removed and the person responsable for it to be left in the middle of the country. if that freak can survive that and find their way back i will perhaps offer forgiveness. i feel that would tech them to respect the people.

^^ Yeah you'd think it was something the Channel 7 Roving News Crew could get their teeth really stuck in to, but no lets chase after some innocent plant growers instead, easy pickings. It grosses me out to think that a cannabis grower could face a prison term whereas people like this go scott free.

I don't have a lot of respect for my society.

Anyway, for those of you with sensitive stomachs (like mine) there is some really filthy shit on that second web page that opens up if you click on one of the links. Don't do it, I'm scarred for life.

3677 likes? when I saw it there was only 8. Anyway, reported it to fb for racism.

i forgot i could do that, thanks for the remind. i just reported it too. thanks a million =)

whitewind.... there is nothing you could say that i could disagree with i dont think. often you take the words from my mouth and save me from typing.. good onya mate!

"It’s probably the saddest sight of all when racism impacts on white people."

- Abe (Malcolm in the middle)

My grandfathers didn't fight a war against certain races just so we could be racially intolerant! zomgz!

And I'd be wary of any employer who was asking about my Facebook usage. My concern would be that they were snoopy bastards.

why...if you dont have a facebook account whats the worry? or even if you do and limit it to actual people you know and trust (if thats at all possible) as friends then how could you be spied on, surely not everybody owns a computer either...

also a couple of posters up above are really no better than the actual memers discussed on FB, why even provide links to provide the fuel and why even giggle like a little school girl does and say .......dont do it & re post the link, when you know all that does is make somebody read it, congratulations on spreading this even further, mind you on the other hand at the bottom of linkpost 10 there was some reference to zuckerfucker not taking down memes to his own sensitive area, so mayby in some ways alot of people harp on about freedom of choice....ie smokers vs non smokers ie today tonight vs sab, but in some ways in this is the same racists vs non racists. i suppose zen peddler is the most probable culprit as he basicilly spread the fire......or non fire whatever you believe in i suppose.

Edited by santiago

oh, id be sus on anyone who doesn't have a computer and electricity! LOL

thanks all you lot for your putting me onto this and taking action. i just saw it come up on SBS news. further action is apparently being taken. we have made a change for the better today here people. i didnt see the whole story but almost fell over when i saw the link i and others reported etc. NICE work. and to think ch7's garbage perhaps has turned eyes to this site and look at the good that's come from it =)

I'm very happy with this..

• Like 1

H.E.A.F_01.jpg

Picture+12.png

where's your confected outrage at this?

this kind of reminds me of the kony fad, after everyone types their little blog comments and clicks their petitions they'll all go back to ignoring the actual problem.

It's been shut down now.

There was some pretty racist stuff on Australian Memes but they've settled back down. I'm enjoying South Australia + Adelaide Memes, so much hate on our shit public transport system Bahaha

why...if you dont have a facebook account whats the worry? or even if you do and limit it to actual people you know and trust (if thats at all possible) as friends then how could you be spied on, surely not everybody owns a computer either...

Yes, of course accounts can be non-public. I wasn't talking about employers actually accessing your fb posts - I was discussing the idea that someone's choice of social-networking site could actually be a factor that employers might consider when hiring. It had just never occurred to me that this might happen. Of course they can use whatever arbitrary criteria they like when selecting employees, just like they can choose to administer outdated "personality tests" and drug-screening tests. But to me, that would show an excessive interest in my private life. Unless they also explained exactly how this information was relevant to my ability to do my job, I would find this an inappropriate question to be asked in a job interview.

• Like 1

[url=

[url=

where's your confected outrage at this?

You were the one criticising me for giving it attention. I assumed that meant you acknowledged its content as offensive or racist otherwise that comment would have no basis.

Finding something offensive doesnt equate to having all the answers in relation to the predicament of our indigenous peoples which I assume is what your getting at with your posts. It doesnt lessen the validity of that taking of offense.

But yes things like the Kony thing etc highlight that slackdivism shite where ignorant, self absorbed and narrow-minded people jump on a topic for five minutes with moral outrage to have their warm-and-fuzzy fighting the cause feelings and then get back to watching 'The Shire' and tweeting about the Kardashians.

But then again the only way to often do something about issues is to start somewhere and increase public awareness and even if this does attract cynicism it might still lead to progress.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie

just as we have seen =)

i appreciate your measured response.

You were the one criticising me for giving it attention. I assumed that meant you acknowledged its content as offensive or racist otherwise that comment would have no basis.

yeah, i don’t necessarily think it’s racist, and while i don’t find it personally offensi ve i can see how people would. my point is that memes like this are no more racist than “asian dad”, or “tiger mom”. and the situation surrounding the emphasis on achievement in asian societies is a problem, because asian students have been known to commit suicide due to the stress of succeeeding, or the shame of disappointing their parent. what i’m pointing out is the apparent hypocrisy with this fad outrage, that the outrage due to this meme is itself a form of racial discrimination. it’s either all ok or none of it’s ok.

Finding something offensive doesnt equate to having all the answers in relation to the predicament of our indigenous peoples which I assume is what your getting at with your posts. It doesnt lessen the validity of that taking of offense.

no, but the point is that alot of people, not necessarily you or anyone here, are simply joining the bandwagon and have done nothing in the past to solve either the problem of racist views, or the issues surrounding aboriginal communities. i’m included in this sure, but i’m not online outraged at this and then forgetting about it when the media attention dies down. i can already see it happening.

But yes things like the Kony thing etc highlight that slackdivism shite where ignorant, self absorbed and narrow-minded people jump on a topic for five minutes with moral outrage to have their warm-and-fuzzy fighting the cause feelings and then get back to watching 'The Shire' and tweeting about the Kardashians.

:)

But then again the only way to often do something about issues is to start somewhere and increase public awareness and even if this does attract cynicism it might still lead to progress.

unfortunately the only progress people can come up with is blocking access to these sites. i see now the original page has been taken down only to be replaced with another. the peolpe making the page or liking it have not changed their views one iota. basically nothing has changed. i don’t think banning/blocking things is a solution, any more than i think that making drugs illegal will stop people wanting to take drugs. people have to accept that there will always be racial discrimination, it appears to be a part of human tribal mentality. and it’s not really the racial element of this that i have a problem with, but the fact that in the past, and into the future the people who will type on the internet and sign their petitions will basically go back to ignoring the actual message contained within these memes, that certain aspects of aboriginal society is profoundly fucked up, and nothing seems to be happening to change that.

edited to remove generalisations

Edited by qualia