Halcyon Daze

Bridge x Peruv crosses

Here are a couple of my hybrids.

Tperuvianus(SS01) x Tbridgesii(SS02)

7664962194_4654d3abfe_o.jpg

Tbridgesii(SS02) x Tperuvianus(SS01)

7664961508_d6ca62cda0_o.jpg

Edited by M S Smith

But I have to admit, I think I like these better, both are [T. pachanoi "JuulsGiant" x T. peruvianus] x T. bridgesii (SS02).

7665429820_42c13792e3_o.jpg

7665429352_60b9ffd465_o.jpg

• Like 5

Nice plants MS Smith, especially the Juuls Giant cross. I'll have to put that on my wish list.

Just came across HelloNasty's TPM x Bridgesioid cross. ( which originated from Nitrogen)

Here

http://www.shaman-au...showtopic=28667

and here

http://astrophytum-a...peruvianus.html

Pretty dang fancy!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

I think it could be a hybrid. It definitely looks more bridgy than peruvy but I can see enough cross over there to say it's probably legit.

Hybrids aren't always an even 50/50 blend that look halfway between the two parents. It's quite possible for the offspring to look more like a 90/10 ratio. That's just the outward appearance too. the inner physiology of the plant could be much different to it's outward appearance.

It looks like you have done a good job arresting that rot. It might even be quite resistant to rot, but it had a very rough trot in the few weeks before you acquired it. You just never know these things and it's not good to jump to the first/ most likely conclusion.

I was thinking it was a hybrid too but someone here questioned it being one before the site crashed last week, which made me wonder if it actualy was one . It was pretty banged up when I got it but it seemed to recover pretty quickly once rooted :)

Halcyon, I actually have a couple representatives of the Juul's x T. peruvianus around still, but I believe the hybrid with the SS02 was done by archaea. And you are right on about the wide ratio of traits in hybrids, external, and quite likely internal as well.

Here are two T. pachanoi (PC) x T. bridgesii (SS02). These are so much like either parent that one might not even be able to tell they were hybrids at all.

4823717738_c40c8f87cf_o.jpg

4823717706_c0e626ce94_o.jpg

Edited by M S Smith

Nice to see you around Michael. This is my favorite of the ones you posted:

4823717738_c40c8f87cf_o.jpg

Now, can someone please explain to me, preferably using simple words and pictures, what the difference between peruviana and cuzcoensis is?

Edited by chilli
  • Like 1

Not sure if you saw my post #9 in the link below, but it might offer some insight I suppose, or at least I hope. There is variability in natural populations of both T. peruvianus and T. cuzcoensis, and maybe some intergrades, natural or otherwise. Intergrades might include T. tarmaensis, T. schoenii, and T. puquiensis, but that's just speculation.

http://www.shaman-au...ndpost&p=162601

~Michael~

Edited by M S Smith
  • Like 1

One has to wonder just how much mentored selfings happen with trich hybrids.

(live or dead foreign pollen inducing a flower to form seed from self pollen is a known phenomena)

Take the PC looking T. pachanoi (PC) x T. bridgesii (SS02) plants, it sure would be interesting to get an F2 using only the PC looking plants and see if any bridgesoid characteristics emerge. Maybe trying it with more than one pair in case some are true hybrids. Has such a thing been done in these instances?

i've got a Santaensis x bridgesii..... Its fat n blue with long golden spines that point downward..... amazing clone!

i've got a Santaensis x bridgesii..... Its fat n blue with long golden spines that point downward..... amazing clone!

pics??? :)

One has to wonder just how much mentored selfings happen with trich hybrids.

(live or dead foreign pollen inducing a flower to form seed from self pollen is a known phenomena)

I think what you are referring to is known as 'apomixis' a form of asexual reproduction via a seed. or an unfertilised seed that grows.

Can't remember if that means they are haploid plants or not, but I think they are valued by plant breeders as a way to introduce genes and traits much more easily. Unfortunately I missed out on plant breeding at uni after Howard era budget cuts (what an eternal bastard).

I could be wrong but Mr Smiths pc- looking plant looks like it is about to pop a long spine near the top.

I gotta see that!

SS02 X SS01 is a really nice hybrid - vigorous, spectacular spines, great color - beautiful but difficult to work with in terms of repotting and such -

TPM x T. bridgesii "N1" and T. bridgesii "Psycho0" x TPM fruit is coming along nicely - will be available for you folks down under here as soon as it's ready ;)

Edited by Mod. No Discussion about Potency and ingestion plz!

Edited by Evil Genius
  • Like 4

T. bridgesii "Psycho0" x TPM fruit is coming along nicely - will be available for you folks down under here as soon as it's ready ;)

Wow, that's going to be one of the most awesome crosses of all time! (Both of them I guess) Spread them far and wide my friend. (Can I put in a pre-order?)

We'll have to come up with a couple named clones in your honour.

How about... Nitro's Psycho Mutant Killer from HELL!

Edited by Halcyon Daze

Hahaha - I guess Psycho0 x T Peruvianus Monstrosus does have a sorta nightmare sound to it! I'm curious to see how things turn out with the TPM as the father instead of the mother. As mother it yielded freaks at about 40-60% rate or so the only other time it bore a fruit (3 years ago or so)..

I have a pachanoi that went crested a few years ago and then also put out columns from the crest - will post pics at some point - I have another plant of this specimen that did not go crested - the one that did seemed to go crested after being eaten up pretty good by snails or slugs - I think that's what precipitated it, but I'm not sure. It may be that it has some cristata genetics that were brought out by the snails - regardless, it's a really nice pachanoi, I found it at a random nursery - not the PC clone, def more of the true pachanoi. Anyhow, I've crossed it with the TPM and fruit is developing - the TPM is the father - interested to see what becomes of that one also

Edited by nitrogen
  • Like 2

Chasing: NIGHTMARE cuts or seeds...

Lol Definitely has a good ring to it Nitro. :)

Edited by Halcyon Daze

heres a pic of the mother Santaensis bridgesii plant..... my clone is one of these arms about 26 cm...... pic of my clone forthcoming

post-11569-0-01411800-1344132621_thumb.j

post-11569-0-83556200-1344132650_thumb.j

post-11569-0-24913300-1344132683_thumb.j

post-11569-0-01411800-1344132621_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-83556200-1344132650_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-24913300-1344132683_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-01411800-1344132621_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-83556200-1344132650_thumb.jpg

post-11569-0-24913300-1344132683_thumb.jpg

Cross that Psycho0/TPM hybrid with a TBM and it would have a great name

Psycho Peruvian Penis Monster

Like a old sexploitation B-movie :-P

Edited by Auxin
  • Like 5

bridgessi x lurther burbank

post-4338-0-76261700-1345600437_thumb.jp

has the same bridgey morphing going on

post-4338-0-48172900-1345600753_thumb.jp

post-4338-0-76261700-1345600437_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-48172900-1345600753_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-76261700-1345600437_thumb.jpg

post-4338-0-48172900-1345600753_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Well all my crosses for the year are done flowering & fruiting & I've ended up with seeds from the following:

Bridgesii x Validus

Validus open

(SS02 x SS01) x (SS02 x SS01) F2

Juuls Giant open

Validus x Bridgesii

Validus x (SS02 x SS01)

Validus x PC pach

PC pach x Validus

Spachianus x Juuls Giant

Validus x Lumberjack

Juuls Giant x Lumberjack

Lumberjack x Juuls Giant

Juuls x Peru

Juuls x Kimnach

Peru x Juuls

Juuls x (SS02 x SS01)

Scop x Peru

PC pach x (SS02 x SS01)

Kimnach open

Kimnach x Bridgesii

(SS02 x SS01) open

(SS02 x SS01) x Kimnach

(SS02 x SS01) x Huanucoensis

Huanucoensis x (SS02 x SS01)

Huanucoensis x Bridgesii

Huanucoensis x Kimnach

Huanucoensis open

Kimnach x (SS02 x SS01)

Peru x Kimnach

Peru open

Kimnach is a super fast growing, glaucus, pachanoid clumper. The main stem has grown around 25cm in 3 months.

Quoting from TroutsNotes.com

Trichocereus sp. 53044

H 53044

Kimnach et al 2703

collectors Linden, Baker, Donald, Varney, Arandia

Bolivia Dept Cochabamba km 66 on Rte 4, alt. 11,500'

ca 32 [whited out] km from Cochabamba up narrow canyon

Plants <-/ 15 foot tall

many branches

stems less than or equal to 4-5 inches thick

Trichocereus sp. 53098

H 53098

Kimnach et al 2777

source HBG expedition

date received may 1984

material seed

collectors Linden, Baker, Donald, Varney, Arandia

collected 9 may 1984

Bolivia, Dept Cochabamba : Cuchu Punata: km 42 on the Cochabamba-Epizana road, 8700', on steep rocky slope.

Large shrubby species

kimnach

kimnachdsc0668.jpg

base of the highly distinctive Lumberjack.....

lumberjackdsc0680.jpg

I'll probably be listing the seeds soon in the seeds & plant exchange forum

• Like 7

Some seed there I definately want!