The Corroboree

Colonisation contamination or both

edit

Edited by 8145

Hmm, hard to say with the pics provided. It looks like contams at first, but I am thinking the brown patches are a massive amount of spores that you put onto the agar? The tufty white around the brown blotches looks like myc , but I am on an iPod and the images aren't macro? . Just wait and see huh?!.

Good luck.

:)

Yep , looks like myc' from here.

/

Edited by 8145

/

Edited by 8145

yea looks like myc to me 2... good luck

^ lol, don't get too excited... I am not a fungi expert , and I am on an iPod, but I rekon it's myc'. The real fungi heads can confirm This before you plan the next step. (I will have a proper look from computer after)

I wouldn't be mucking with the petri dishes. Just keep an eye on them.

Edit; arrow up was an indication that my reply was to blas( not jwerta who slipped a post in whilst I was typing!) :)

Edited by Amazonian
  • Like 1

Section off a sector of the white rhizomophic mycelium onto another plate asap.

blas, do whatever he ^ says.

the white rhizomophic mycelium he's talking about is the feathery, fractal looking stuff spreading on the outer from the satellite spots.

the more yellowish growth burgeoning from the shit-tonne of crud on there is not your friend.

you have a short window.

/

Edited by 8145
  • Like 1

pics after please id love to find out how you went :)

/

Edited by 8145

/

Edited by 8145

/

Edited by 8145

the more yellowish growth burgeoning from the shit-tonne of crud on there is not your friend.

Yes, the yellow (contam) is more visible on a computer. Looking at it from my ipod, i was thinking it might have been like color leaching from the spores?!.

Yeah im new to agar and i still get condensation on my plates. Just got to wait for it to cool.

When i have waited for the agar to cool before i pour it, it solidifies?!.

/

Edited by 8145

^ Me personally, if i had 15 healthy ones, i would just put that one out in the garden. :)

/

Edited by 8145

^ Lol... your checking them every five seconds...aren't you :P (don't worry, i do the same).

You could try to cut out the mouldy bit, but it will probably spread its spores everywhere in doing so?. Or you can do what you did earlier and transfer the healthy segment to a new plate?!. I am very slap dash with most things i do... but sometimes... i get away with it :)

Edited by Amazonian

If you want to remove condensation put some hot water into a cup and place the cup onto the plate of agar, it'll remove the condensation. Stacking freshly poured hot plates can also help remove condensation. Well... it'll remove it on all except the plate on top, which you can put a cup of hot water on.

It's been a long time since I did some agar work, i didn't put enough work into it to get anything proper out of it but was surprised by the lack of contams just from PCing agar in a bottle and pouring them into plates inside a glove box then sealing the plates with micropore tape.

I'll tell you what though, people give you some funny looks when they start seeing labeled plates of agar culture randomly throughout your house.

What exactly are you trying to achieve anyway? or just having a bit of fun? :D

• Like 1

There's no way I'd open that one in the last pic posted, it has what appears to be a fully mature Trichoderma colony in the bottom left sector.

When trichoderma matures and releases spores it can release millions of them in seconds all it takes is a bit of a jolt.

Make yourself an inoculation loop like Therefore suggested and only take spores from mushrooms that have no signs of degradation (soft mushy spots, wounds etc) that have unbroken veils. Break the veils yourself after sterilising the specimen with alcohol and make some sporeprints of known quality.

Just because you see white fluffy growth it doesn't guarantee that it is mushroom mycelium, many moulds and contaminants look white or whitish until they fruit (like that Trich in the last pic did before it matured).

I realise this post sounds a bit harsh, which is not my intention, my point is don't fuck with anything suspicious. Throw it out and use a good one.

Only mess with contaminants if it is an absolute last resort and the culture would be lost without intervention.

Edited by SallyD
  • Like 3

im new here but i put some rice malt , honey, water(i copied a recipe from the net and put it in the microwave in a plastic container nuked it for about 7 min i dont have a pressure cooker yet so i then steamed for half hour on high left to cool then injected spores into it in a sterile

procedure would this work and plan on if i see growth is ad h202 but i have the hydro kind and it has some

silver product in it any help would be great

Edited by bigred82

You could try to cut out the mouldy bit, but it will probably spread its spores everywhere in doing so?. Or you can do what you did earlier and transfer the healthy segment to a new plate?!. I am very slap dash with most things i do... but sometimes... i get away with it :)

definitely transfer away from the contamination. it should clean up nicely if you do it in a still air environment

• Like 1

Top notch advice here. The last update is I lost 6 plates which got contaminated with the trichoderma. I still have 9 fully colonised plates which I plan to transplant them to grain tomorrow. Will post some pics too. Distracted and Sally thanks heaps for the advice and you too therefore.

To answer your question Distracted I am just trying to grow some oysters from a spore print to agar and then to budgie seed which to me is having fun cos is all new and exciting.

I think I am going to have heaps of spare plates. What do I do with them ? What's the best way to store them?

definitely transfer away from the contamination. it should clean up nicely if you do it in a still air environment

Too scare now !