The Corroboree

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sallubrious

Dusted with asbestos

They are called asbestos cowboys in the gig for a reason, I had a mate who was responsible for crews removing asbestos roofs of schools in QLD for the GOV. Some places they would build domes to control dust.They had air monitors all sorts of tech stuff. The labouror guys would be in the domes with people smashing super six panels off struts. Dust every where.. but most would pop their whole respirator mask off in the middle of this to light up a ciggy.

we're just going through some asbestos removal this week, so happen to be all read up on it ;) Pretty much just echoing what most others have said [except applesnail]. In most cases occasional exposure is unlikely to cause harm, but in some cases that's all it takes, which is why the rules on removal are VERY strict.

If they removed fibro that was fitted before 1981 then it is almost guaranteed to contain asbestos, but in most cases this is chrysotile which is the least problematic one.

I agree with whitewind that it is your civic duty to report these guys. While you might be fine, the next person might not be. Also, there is a register of asbestos exposures which you can get listed on for free so that if there is a problem for you or your kid in the future you have proof of exposure.

If you report them the agency will also come and do air quality sampling in your yard and house if you allow them, to make sure that you do not have xposure to fibres for weeks or months down the track. Make sure to get the maximum attention out of this because if you or your family ever develop an asbestos related illness then the time spent on kicking up a stink now might be crucial.

I got a bit distracted and never followed through with it, I've just been so busy lately.

I made some preliminary investigations to find out who the contractors were, but I kept getting the run around by government fuckwits (the house is dept. of housing) and computerised telephone answering services.

I had a file with all the relevant details on my laptop and I needed to install windows on another HDD for the mrs. The windows installer decided to wipe Linux that I have installed a separate SDD. So I lost a lot of my details too.

I have to get the details recorded on that register at the least though. I didn't know that it existed. Thanks T I'll get onto that.

^^^ Do get those details if you can, gov't are supposed to be responsible and keep records, but they are also very, very good at looking after themselves, they have the legal framework and backing to do so - it's often not just individuals they are protecting but the organisation itself so it needs to be pretty cut and dried. Saying that, if you do have a csae they will settle it up quickly so as to avoid fuss, where possible.

Whether it's gov't or private it would be one hell of a job bringing up a csae years or decades down the track, so it's best to have it all on file now so's it's all recorded for a later date, when your memory is playing merry hell. Even a few weeks later you're missing details...

you don't need a lot of details to make a complaint. In NSW all asbestos work has to be registered with workcover and there has to be a written plan that has to be displayed for all people who may be affected, including workers, neighbours, etc. The fact you were not shown such a plan and that you were exposed [or potentially exposed] will be enough for an investigation. At the very least they will sample the area and this will either give you peace of mind [if they find nothing] or take the whole drama out of your hands [if the readings are above acceptable limits]. Either way you will be better off than now.

Like I said, you will not need any details. The address of the place and the date will be enough. Workcover has everything else on record, and if they don't then they will seek it out because then it was not done under the asbestos register, which is illegal. The fines are pretty stiff too: up to 30K for a company, plus the cost of remediation and continued sampling.

Our operator also cut a few [very minor] corners, so I read the whole NSW asbestos legislation today. if the asbestos was bonded [ie not friable] then there is no need for a curtain, however the use of water mist is compulsory if there is any risk of asbestos dust. Also, the whole fall out area needs to be vacuumed with a special vacuum cleaner. if dust floated to your side then it is the operators responsibility to clean this up too.

It is not just the operator who can get into shit, but also the independent assessor who has to sign off on the job afterwards.

ring the WorkCover Assistance Service on 13 10 50 and tell them you have a concern about an asbesto removal incident. They'll put you through to the right people.

Let us know how it turns out, making complaints is a lost art in our society.

It's good to make a stand, wether it's over something big or small. Keep the bastards honest!

Sorry for the slow reply, I broke a vertebra in my back the other day (again) so I haven't been on much.

I never really did much about this, I'm a fucking hopeless cunt sometimes.

I am actually qualified in asbestos removal in WA (the laws are more relaxed here compared to there) and even by WA standards they are breaking SEVERAL rules, totally chase this down. Asbestos is nothing minor to mess with !

The sick part is james hardi new about the effects of asbestos for years before it was ever forced off the market by the government, the whole situation makes me sick...

Very sorry to hear about this :( Wishing you good health