The Corroboree
holymountain

New Google Policy... you might want to change this...

Help? I have my browser set to delete cookies when closing, and not retain any history. Is that enough? I do log into gmail, so what do I need to do with that?

Also, should questionable content be searched for in google via a proxy site? This is all very fucking intrusive. I used to think google was a cool company

Help? I have my browser set to delete cookies when closing, and not retain any history. Is that enough? I do log into gmail, so what do I need to do with that?

https://www.google.com/history/

Sign in and disable that.

Also, all of those precautions are well and good but I guarantee ad networks/other places know one hell of a lot about you.

*Edit

Also, should questionable content be searched for in google via a proxy site? This is all very fucking intrusive. I used to think google was a cool company

Tbh, don't use Google for searching at all. Give DuckDuckGo a shot.

* Extra:

If you use Chrome/Chromium here's some addons which will help, a bit, in securing your browsing:

Adblock Plus for Chrome

Google Analytics Opt-out

Google Interest-based Advertising Opt-out

Keep My Opt-outs

Ghostery

I'll add more/create a new topic later.

Edited by at0m
  • Like 1

damn, i have about 5 google accounts i use, depending what i'm doing at the time. of course, if they link IP to searches then thats another story. but so far i don't really care about ads, and i use just numbers for email addresses.

Thanks for the heads up. I don't think I have a google account, so surely I can't change any of "my" settings. However, you got me reading about alternative search engines - duckduckgo looks great and I'm definitely going to start using it!

Adblock Plus for Firefox, and don't forget Noscript.

Haven't heard of the specific Google ones, will check them out.. I pretty much only surf the net in private mode anyway.