The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
saguaro

strange loph seedling

Hi,

I have been germinating some l. williamsii seedlings, but one is slightly strange.

Instead of looking like a little ball, it has 2 heads coming off it and these are fairly long, although this is not due to etiolation. I don't know enough about cacti to be sure about this, but I'm guessing it may be a mutation.

I don't have a good enough camera to take a half decent photo of it at this stage unfortunately.

Does anyone have any ideas what this may be?

i planted some lophs late last ear and the ones that came up were all long and thin. i thought this was really weird, but like you I don't have enough experience in growing this from scratch. Or maybe there was a mix up in supply.

Did your happen to be var. parras ?

Ive got a seedling that looks like it has an offset already. One head coming slightly off centre, it could be something like that.

the soil I was germinating it in has no other seeds in it, but it could just be a different species altogether that got thrown in with the lophs like you said psylo.

it also looks like the other lophs I have germinated. It doesnt look like that dichotomous one. its as if it has etiolated a bit then been cut in 2 at the tip until 1/4 of the way through the seedling.

I tried to take a photo but the resolution is so low.

I am not sure of the variety, just that they are williamsii

thanks for the suggestions guys :)

i managed to borrow a good camera and take a photo:

Psyllo sounds like it seedling have etoliated, I.e not enough light.

My ariocarpus seedlings look alot like what you described, two little long heads coming off the main blob.

Anychance one of those ended up in the mix?

Either way, it will become clear at somepoint.

That one in the pic just looks like a lil trich seedling. I have one popping up in my tray of lophs atm but they are all my own seeds and no doubt with the amount of seeds from trichos scattered all over the place here it just bounced in at some point or fell of my clothes into the loph tray. Keep growing it, it may turn out to be something nice. :)

it does look like a trich seedling. I'm interested to see what happens with this one. I'll post a picture or something later on

cheers

Edited by Pseudo Mexican

hey pseudo, pretty sure these woulda came from me mate? unfortunately I dont have a source for these seeds (i did for the first lot i sent you that were damaged), they just came to me as a freebie from these forums.. but yeah,a few of mine are like this also, they are trich seedlings, just something else to be excited about!