The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Rev

Dance and Trance states

Im curious whether anyone else here has recently reached any profoundly altered states of being while on a dancefloor

I had the benefit of being at the Orphic gig in Bris just recently and went somewhere ive never reached before

It was a state of full psychedelic phosphene immersion in a rapid state of moving imagery all tailored around the flow of light and energy both outside my body and within it

My body became like a snake and i felt my spine as a line of energy centres being uncramped from the human style of movemnet. On the outside of my body felt like an amphibian like skin marked with morphing ayahuasca style motifs

Meanwhile i had no perception of where the top of my head ended and i had not idea wheher my eyes were open or closed. I think they were mostly closed and certainly i didnt feel like i was seeing with them. The experience was very much like an intense DMT experience but with what seemed full control and no fear. However DMT wasnt consumed in this instance

My eyes felt heavy and dark and it felt like all i ws seeing was coming from a single panoramic eye that was in the middle of my forehead and gave stereoscopic vision not just in front but almost 360 degrees (270?)

Time passed and i had little knowledge of anyone or anything around me, it felt like eternity and yet like only 1/2 hour - it was neither

I was taken of the floor to be given water once and kind of snapped out of it but rentered on return

On coming out of the experience words were hard to grasp but i had an intense disjunction from other people ordinary reality so i was confused. I kept mumbling something to the people around me about just being born

It truly felt like whatever i did or opened up to out there i hadnt seen since the very inception of my life. Freaky stuff. I doubt they understood me.

I then went down the beach to watch the clouds Boil off the sun - ill have to go back some other time to see if thats for real or just something i saw that morning

can anyone else say that theyve reak true peak states aided with movement?

Ive had psychedleic experience before but nothing in comparison to this with entheogens in combo with music and movement. I think i get now how shamanic practice uses music, dance and entheogens to reach trance states which ive read of but never thought id reach - i thought theyd be out of limits to a western mind brought up to be rational and not believe in it.

thats going to be a hard one to beat

and i feel fantastic :D

[ 30. August 2004, 17:11: Message edited by: reville ]

Wow thanks for sharing that Reville!!

You reached that type of state without 'chemical' assistance :cool: ,just goes to show what's possible when the timing,set and setting are perfect...let's see them try to pass a thought-crime bill after the next election! LOL

After seeking a Guru last year and finding him he told me three things that I wil never forget.

1-consider what is wrong with you as being right and go from there.

2-The word 'guru' means Gee yoU aRe yoU!

3-Do without.

the last one always bothered me but now I understand

Hi Rev,

Well I once went into a trance state based on the driving rhythm of an INXS concert when I was 17, but that's a bit too embarassing to talk about so there's no way I'd ever post on a MB about it....

Could you put your finger on which 'shamanic technique' you think contributed to your state, or was it just the whole shebang (profuse sweating ala sweat lodges, sonic driving, kinetic stimulation etc)?

I've always thought that Danny Carey from TOOL would have to be the ultimate altered states 'tuning fork', as he incorporates just about every technique as part of his job (entheogens, ritual magick, drumming, sweating, kinetics).

Belfy

Rev,

Great to hear of these kinds of experiences happening...keep it coming in all ways!

Julian.

It must be trocadderos! at infected mushroom, after dancing for a while i got a geometric overlay over my vision, my head was tingling, and my smile was ear to ear. I also felt really connected to everything and everyone. Reading over this now it seems similar to what people say about empathogens like ecstacy, but there was nothing like that in me at the time. I can't say what i felt was as intense as you, however i felt myself overheating and decided to stop.

I think the """technique""" i used was just really getting into the music, not thinking about anything else except the music, and yeah heating up and being in a generally good mood...

mescalito:

Wow thanks for sharing that Reville!!

You reached that type of state without 'chemical' assistance    :cool:  

uh sorry to say..no

i was very assisted :D but didnt want to be too explicit

2 true psychedelics, Think of one lasting a long time as base note, one lasting a medium time, and one empathogen in just the right levels to break through

However what happened went way beyond the tweaking - 90 degrees left, 270 degrees right, 30 degrees left..Click and i was in

It was the combination of movement and sound with that tweaking which took it to a whole new level. An appreciation i havent had before

sorry to get those excited who thought id cracked something not involving entheogens but i am quite excited about what happenned being a completely mystical dissolution into a trance state. I can liken it to a first 'shamanic flight' type experience traversing all levels or reality and where i was no longer the spectator in that outer realm but fully involved, dancing, battling, laughing, making love to it and pretty much in full lucid control of my mind, meanwhile my body was on autopilot disconected doing its own thing with me barely aware, even my ears being separated it sounded by several metres at times as i could hear the music in the background

I have no doubt in the right circumstances and with recognition you might use other techniques to gert there but for me the best revelation was simply that i could reach it, to be able to let go ,accept it and then engage it, Like being able to pull down power and direction from the cosmos rather than just travelling it in awe.

well im glad my benchmark has been raised :) plenty more to consider in the set n setting question now

[ 31. August 2004, 02:34: Message edited by: reville ]

music and dance are as much a psychedelic as anything else you might have been effected by that night...atleast by my definition of psychedelics. I have never been more transformed than when i am weaving my body around, through and into the beats and rhythms pumping forward. one of my most vivid memories is of seemingly, harnessing, holding parts of the music and using them to construct around me this organic machine or vehicle that would ultimately propel me to some other level of existance. hmmm...that was nice!

sound like you had a blast. :D

Wow Yes it was a very fun party wasnt it rev.... :D

I could go on about Dancefloor energy matrices and the assorted stuff that I generally ramble on about... should I ??

Yes I have experienced transcendental experiences on the doof floor... :D

Yes I have experienced transcendental experiences on the doof floor...

oohh yes.

especially when positioned under the strobing lasers :)

& smoke.....i believe if you put a straight person in a room filled w/smoke, pulsating w/different coloured light flashes & pumping techno; they'd be "up" in no time...a sensory depravation/overload type thing

regarding non-assisted states, for me, it's comparatively mild, but an altered-state no less.

i suppose it's very much endorphin related, because i find i have to really put some effort in, to push past certain physical cues .. ie, a lot of physical exertion, with controlled breathing & some sort of single-pointed concentration .. i hope that doesn't sound to contrived, cos it's actually fairly spontaneous

anyway, the induced state is trance-like, with a feeling of expanding beyond my body, waves/ripples in space, and a peaceful centredness, amongst other attributes

but i do take a few bottles of different essential oils .. usually a citrus (uplifting), a floral (peaceful/ecstatic/blissful) & a root (tranquil/meditative), or something ...

like lime/lemon, rose/jasmine, sandalwood/vetiver

i'm really sensitive to aroma, so this is quite a strong catalyst ... this makes me very curious about friendly's comment on lotus oil :)

i've placed a vial down a couple times, and bar staff think they're amyl. i think i must be fitter than most of my crew, because they can't understand where i'd get the energy to dance for six hours. and ppl invariably ask what i've taken

Mesqualero:

Wow Yes it was a very fun party wasnt it rev....   :D  

I could go on about Dancefloor energy matrices and the assorted stuff that I generally ramble on about... should I ??

Yes I have experienced transcendental experiences on the doof floor...   :D  

Oh...i think you should!

especially after last night! where you played M.O.C on the Walpurgis night that ocurred there, and totally unassisted

Hehehehehe its all just a dancefloor... nothing to see here people move along :D

Full "Article soon"

Mesqualero:

just a dancefloor... nothing to see here  

hehehe