The Corroboree
Chef

Glow in the dark mushrooms Literally

no joke a mate of mine from work said he went camping in a place called station creek NSW and said at night there were mushrooms glowing in the dark?

I have never heard of such a thing and just wanted to know what ya's thought/knew??

Just found something on google.. Mycena luxaeterna?

Yeah, most prolly Ghost fungus, omphalotus nidiformis. I have seen these quite alot in NSW forests. They look alot like an Oyster, but are poisonous

• Like 2

Hey Chef_,

Do a forum search for "omphalotus", lots of info and pics here already. Myco's thread has a awesome pic of one he found growing in his own backyard.

yeh it would most likelly be ompholotus nidiformis

hopefully get some better pics next season as i have a much better camera now

and its a nikon wich nikon perform better in low light so the next pics i get wont be so grainy :)

heres the thread

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=28023&hl=bioluminescent&fromsearch=1

Many mushrooms carry out what is called bioluminescence. Some mushrooms carry it out very slowly and dimly, so much so that light can only be detected via a long film exposure.

The purpose of fungal bioluminescence remains a mystery, but some speculate that the dim green glow might attract insects that may spread the spores of the fungus in question. If you want a good place to start, Omphalotus olearius is a stunning example of fungal bioluminescence, as is Panellus stipticus. There are countless other species that display this phenomenon, Armillaria gallica for example, the glow of which is quite faint, and as mentioned before can only be recorded via a long camera film exposure.

• Like 1

I don't know how hard these guys'd be to grow, but if anyone could get a spore print to us, I'd be forever in your debt... :-)

everybody's first encounters with glow in the dark stuff, can be a bit freaky

I got to see the glow worms at Bundanoon first, then glow in the dark Plankton in Aotearoa, then glow in the dark bacteria in rotting meat, in the skips out the back of the supermarkets in London, then in the dogs bowl out near Coonabarabran, . . .

and so the idea became normal by then, of living stuff that glows in the dark, and in finding here that glow in the dark mushrooms exist, my brain thinks "well of course"

but that doesn't make it any less cool how things can glow in the dark, . . . it is caused by electrons jumping from one shell/energy level/cloud into another and back again, isn't it???

It's the wrong season for O. nidiformis. Much more likely to be one of the bioluminescent Mycena spp. at this time of the year.

You can cultivate Omphalatus nidiformis but the plate i got recently only grew contams :(

Apparently adding lemon juice to the substrate makes them glow bright. Just a few tablespoons to shift the pH.

• Like 1

I don't know how hard these guys'd be to grow, but if anyone could get a spore print to us, I'd be forever in your debt... :-)

I've seen sporeworks sell prints as 'novelty prints'.

• Like 1

I feel silly know thinkin my mate seen some rare effin mushie and you illuminati secretly knew about it :wave-finger: hahaha, i shall continue to look further hahaha i havent looked at that site ^above but would they be easy to cultivate? they are frikin awsome :)

lovin this thread guys!

The Omphalatus nidiformis avail from sporeworx were originally collected by a west Aussie member from sab :P

• Like 1

does anyone know if they are hard to grow because i would like to get some for my self of course and to show the kids!

Was that you naja that collected them?

Not me, but a close friend. From wat I understand they are easy to grow.

Ive been pretty keen for sometime to try to grow these, but as a myco noob i havent put in the time as im not sure if ill kill them or not.

$18 for a "novelty" ghost spore.. might give it a crack ay?

i didnt think of that... "i will wait for a pro :P"

i tried to find my old thread about, the glow in the dark mushrooms, but could'nt find it, maybe i posted it at the old eb, but it hink it was here.

it was a small capped shroom growing in the wild, maybe 25mm tall if i remeber correctly, and the glow was green.

the substrate was leave matter. location, the old meeting place.

some sources claim, it got eaten and added a lot of glow to the other shrooms.

but i guess, those are the dangers when you, don't have a baby sitter.

anyone able to get hold of a print for a certain chef?

If you wait until July, I can get you wild prints...

As tripsis said, the glowing species in NSW at this time of year is most likely a Mycena sp.

• Like 1

If you wait until July, I can get you wild prints...

As tripsis said, the glowing species in NSW at this time of year is most likely a Mycena sp.

aaaaaww yeah!