The Corroboree
niggles

Looking for pots

Usually I collect pots from hard rubbish each year, but my garden has accelerated faster than hard rubbish has provided.

Im wondering if anyone has bright ideas for ways to collect free or cheap pots (preferably in Melbourne)

I never thought Id get through the number of pots I got last year.. but here I am potless.

Any thoughts?

Potentially I could trade with someone if they had (big) spare pots..

maybe try a nursery or something they usually have heaps of post just laying around and are willing to part with them for free or cheap

maybe try a nursery or something they usually have heaps of post just laying around and are willing to part with them for free or cheap

Thats true.. I live around the corner from 'Vasili's Garden' Nursery (he has a garden show on channel 31) He has a huge pile of old pots out the back. I wonder if he is as nice as he appears on TV and if he will part with them...

only one way to find out :)

have u tried recycling section of local rubbish tip?

If you have a bunnings nearby, go down and have a chat with the person in charge of nursery. They usually chuck a whole bunch of plants + pots out each week (anything that looks shitty on the shelves detracts from the illusion of luciousness), if you ask nicely I'm sure they'd hold some used pots for you. That's where I got all mine from, and I probably have more pots than the whole corroboree combined :)

• Like 1

You could make your own, don't know what kinda sizes you need. I mean, small pots are cheap, but big decorative pots are usually way too expensive to buy a lot of. Was looking for something else a while ago and stumbled upon "hypertufa". Basically lightweight concrete, made out a mix of peat, perlite or vermiculite and portland cement. For really big pots you need some reinforcement in the form of wiremesh and/or synthetic reinforcement fibers. Good way to expand your pot collection for not a lot of money.

have u tried recycling section of local rubbish tip?

^^^^ reservoir tip usually has a big stash of pots out the back, a lot of big ones last time i was there too. also have you checked out ceres pot recycling corner in the nursery?

Great ideas everyone! I will be trying them all until my pot thirst is quenched.

please tell us how your search for pots went niggles I for one would love to know

I found $2plastic buckets from discount 2 buck junk shops with holes drilled in the bottom make for cheap pots to plant into,if bucket size is suitable for ones needs!

please tell us how your search for pots went niggles I for one would love to know

unfortunately ive had a couple of accidents and im a bit fucked right now with inner ear trauma from a rare and unusual swimming failure and a 'soft tissue injury' to my hand from flying superman punch to moving car after my pushbike bucked me off on tram tracks.

Will have to put the pot search on hold for a while, til i can do more than wiggle my fingers again.

that's is some bad new niggles I hope you get better soon ill try and send some good healing vibes your way :)

unfortunately ive had a couple of accidents and im a bit fucked right now with inner ear trauma from a rare and unusual swimming failure and a 'soft tissue injury' to my hand from flying superman punch to moving car after my pushbike bucked me off on tram tracks.

niggles, have you been watching 'jackass' again ?!

Rest and mend Plant Boy.

:)

today i can move my fingers and hold glass cylinders again. everythings gunna be just fine :)

I dont bother buying pots from anywhere except dump shops! usually you can buy a huge mountain of them that will last you 6 months + for under $10