The Corroboree
Jonstn

Uni results

So Uni results came out today, my partner passed all the courses in her final semester so she and i are obviously pumped for her :)

Me on the other hand only passed 1 course, failed intro calculus and only just failed intro physics, not pissed or anything was a messed up semester got screwed around quite a bit, but it is 'foundation studies' so its meant to prep you for Uni and I guess I'm not quite ready yet :)

Going to own that shit next year, up until about 6 months ago it had been about 8 years since I'd done any form of maths and 10 years since I'd done any science. Going to spend the next few months teaching myself everything I need to smash it out.

Also, I know there are quite a few Uni goers on here so I wouldn't mind seeing what we all got :)

Peace, time to relax! (until February)

So Uni results came out today, my partner passed all the courses in her final semester so she and i are obviously pumped for her :)

Me on the other hand only passed 1 course, failed intro calculus and only just failed intro physics, not pissed or anything was a messed up semester got screwed around quite a bit, but it is 'foundation studies' so its meant to prep you for Uni and I guess I'm not quite ready yet :)

Going to own that shit next year, up until about 6 months ago it had been about 8 years since I'd done any form of maths and 10 years since I'd done any science. Going to spend the next few months teaching myself everything I need to smash it out.

Also, I know there are quite a few Uni goers on here so I wouldn't mind seeing what we all got :)

Bullcrap you failed and are not quite ready, you didnt put the time in. Unless you are emotionally handicapped.

Go to peru, drink some ayahuasca with some shamans, and come back and try the course again. All you need to do after all that is put in 75% of your time in the course, and stay away from alcohol, expecially weed. Your mind will remain clear and you will pretty much have a photographic memory. when i was studying spanish after a big aya adventure EVERYTHING flowed and i didnt need to do ANY repetition. save up 3 grand and in 6 years youll look back on it and realise it was the best investment of your life.

Damn dude, sorry to hear.

The thing with uni is to clearly understand the main concepts and be able to apply them. but having said that some lecturers love to mix it up in exams to really push students. which imo is really unfair to some students. unfortunately while universities still use exams as the principal assessement task, i would also advise a good exam techniques. study and do as many past exam papers from your course lecturers as possible, some lecturers will recycle questions, but be caeful as some years they refresh the question pool, or decide to change their focus on whats important. ive learnt the hard way.

the only advice i can give is to work, and work, and work some more. dont get lazy with subjects because it will come back to bit you on the bum!

also, really wanting to do the course material and do it well, really makes a difference.

Cheers, Ob.

• Like 1

psilohuasca

Psychonaut

Climate or location:Iquitos, Peru

Go to peru, drink some ayahuasca with some shamans, and come back and try the course again. All you need to do after all that is put in 75% of your time in the course, and stay away from alcohol, expecially weed. Your mind will remain clear and you will pretty much have a photographic memory. when i was studying spanish after a big aya adventure EVERYTHING flowed and i didnt need to do ANY repetition. save up 3 grand and in 6 years youll look back on it and realise it was the best investment of your life.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peru

Official language(s) Spanish

:lol:

But anyway, to some advice. I can't say what it is exactly that you didn't do. It could be that your learning style is fractured - i.e. your brain has a million small boxes, and every time you need to learn something new - you have to make a lot more boxes. This is often how you will get taught. You won't be lead from concept to concept like a farmer walking his goat. If that's the case, you better do it yourself. My motto for maths is to be always able to re-derive a formula or result, so I can remember what it is, and which path I took to reach it. And to this end: if you don't do something once - how can you do it again?

Work towards uniting your information and knowledge. I have lately been uniting music and maths and programming. Using my knowledge of all three to reflect back and restrengthen each one. Once you reach a critical mass, all you need is time, a pen and a shitload of paper - and you could create some things never before seen.

Do you enjoy learning about aspects of mathematics? Do you enjoy learning about anything?

Then connect what you have to do, with what you enjoy. Then you will enjoy what you have to do!

Sometimes things can be both simple and hard - understanding this is the key to achievement.

Edited by βluntmuffin

Definitely time and effective study. I know I'm bloody terrible when it comes to both. Terrible habit that followed from high school. I do pass and generally do quite ok, but I know how much better I could do if I actually worked properly.

What are you planning on studying?

I do Tafe so I don't have any exams. I passed my course though :rolleyes: Even though I wagged the last two days haha. My motivation dropped shit loads around June/July. And even though I didn't experience it much, it was apparently a poorly organized course. People hadning in assignments that went missing and other shit. Now i'm doing the diploma next year of Mental Health/AOD. Full time and its only one day a week. Suck a bat centerlink. I still need to find work.

Skyrim

Pretty average for me, 4 4 6 5

I got 82 so I now have a first class honours degree in physics :)

Jonstn, I'm happy to help with your maths/physics studies if you wanna add me on msn or something. I was pretty much in the same boat as you when I started studying in '06. It had been about 7 years since I'd studied anything, and I went into year 12 without ever having done year 11, and I don't think I'd actually passed a year level since about year 8, lol. Point is, I know how how it is to get the momentum going, so happy to help out if I can.

• Like 1

Mate don't think you're not ready for uni. Its just giving you an indication that it might not be worthwhile taking maths and physics in your academic career unless you are driven by a long term plan that struggling through maths and physics subjects will help you achieve. Nothing beyond first year maths and physics are necessary for most sciences unless you specifically want to do more maths and physics in second or third year.. there are exceptions but as a general rule it's true. If they aren't necessary for what you want to study as prerequisites then don't put yourself through unnecessary pain. Go see an academic adviser and they'll help you work out how necessary doing that stuff is.

I did a foundation course through Newcastle uni a few years back. Maths has never been my strength either, but if you're struggling with calculus and physics stuff it's only going get worse.

Also if your course is similar to the uni foundation course I did where your final marks are put through a formula to give you the equivalent to a HSC ATAR ranking (or whatever the equivalent is for your state) and you have a choice to do easier subjects than calculus and physics then seriously opt for whatever you're going to get the best marks in so you have more options with degrees and uni choices. Everything covered in a foundation course you'll do again first year anyway so you won't miss much.

There is no point in doing subjects to 'set you up for uni' if it's going to stand in the way of you getting accepted for your desired degree at the desired uni... if it's all about the marks then they are really more important than what you learn in a foundation course besides essay writing skills etc.

If at uni you need to do an intro calculus + algebra for first year as a prerequisite for a second year subject you wanna do then your best bet is to knuckle down, work hard, use numeracy centre facilities to help you if available and scrape a pass... then be glad you never have to study maths at uni again because even at first year level it's guaranteed to be brutal (like year 11 + 12 advanced in 13 weeks brutal as the EASIER choice).

If a 67 year old lady in my first year maths class was able to scrape a pass with hard work then you can surely do it after 10 years without study if you have to :lol:.

Long story short, if don't need to use calculus then don't study it. Hell I'm going to change my degree next year when I go back after 2 years deferred because I don't get a choice in my subjects in med sci and I don't want to keep doing subjects that make me miserable when I know there is no reason beneficial down the track to endure it.

Sorry for the many hundreds words of advice but I was in your shoes a few years back and just wanted to share my experiences so you don't have to learn the hard way.

If you have any specific questions about stuff then free to shoot me a PM and I'll try answer to best of my abilities, otherwise good luck when you re-do the course next year and for you uni degree beyond.

Edited by -=IndigoSunrise=-

Cheers for the support everyone there was a buttload of reading to do this morning lol.

It's not the most organised thing in the world, I was wanting to get into teaching at the start of the year but screwed that off and decided to change to the engineering and applied sciences strand mid year, then they didn't confirm it to me until the end of week two so I ended up spending the whole semester behind then I just crashed and burned lol

Then there was the shitty trading hours of my job, only beig able to work 7-6 Monday to Friday meant rushing from one thing to another then just wanting to pass out when I got home. Spent the whole semester looking for a job with more flexible hours and I got one a week before exams hahaha.

But in the end I can make all the excuses I want but I still could have put more effort in probably.

I want to get into civil and environmental engineering so the math will be pretty important, I found it quite fascinating learning about the different rules and all the shit you can apply them to so its no problem on the interest side just needed more time which I def will have next year as my partner will be now looking for a job in her field while still working and I'll be able to concentrate on my shit more with the flexibility of my new job :)

Congrats Ballzac that's awesome news!! What you hoping to get a career in?

Cheers for the offers of support also Ballzac and indigosunrise I'm going to hold ya's to that :P

Sounds like everyone did pretty good :) always good to see

uni can be hard work, but you gotta want to do it, for it to work well i reckon.

i got a 91% HD for my research proposal, which has led into an APA scholarship for next year to write my thesis.

Congrats Ballzac that's awesome news!! What you hoping to get a career in?

Lol, not sure what exactly I'm going to do long term. I'm guaranteed an APA stipend for the next three years, so I'll be doing my PhD, but after that...not sure. I like the idea of the academic lifestyle, lecturing and doing research etc., but the pay is a lot lower than what you can get in private industry. A physics PhD is a very versatile degree, so I could definitely look at other avenues.

I passed all my subjects except second semester chem this year (Im a first year [second year now] botany student), and like you and pretty much every other person who fails at anything I have a whole heap of excuses as to why I failed that subject. I did the first semester chemistry 5 years ago when I first left school and was doing secondary education, which meant I was pretty rusty when I came back to it this year (this is my 4th time back at uni, and the first time Iv actually completed the first year), but I knew I would be and was too unorganized and over confident to get some tuition to get me back up to where I needed to be before attempting the second semester chemistry.

I agree with what others have said in that its really down to how much you put in and whether its really what your interested in. I got credit's for the botany subject and zoology, and just passed this crappy statistics subject they are making all science students do in first year now, but I know I could have aced all these subjects and chem if I just had have put more effort in. My problem with getting the best marks I should be able to achieve is sort of the same as Wameron's (he was actually in my second semester Chem class) - Bad study habits from school that continue now. But once you realize and accept where you went wrong then it makes it so much easier to achieve what you think you are capable of.

Good luck and remember what you get out of it is as much as you put in :bong:

I want to get into civil and environmental engineering so the math will be pretty important

My uncle is a civil engineer and the only person I know who says he uses applied calculus on daily basis for work lol.

I want to get into civil and environmental engineering so the math will be pretty important, I found it quite fascinating learning about the different rules and all the shit you can apply them to so its no problem on the interest side just needed more time which I def will have next year as my partner will be now looking for a job in her field while still working and I'll be able to concentrate on my shit more with the flexibility of my new job :)

Nice one. I'm also doing environmental engineering, and yeah there is a whole lot of math to be done! It's really interesting though!

I got straight fours. I have one reason I didn't get sixes, and that is - I didn't apply myself nearly enough. Hardly put effort in enough to pass this semester.

I'm a first year Bachelor of Science student, next year starting my major in Microbiology. Will be attempting very very much to get my attention and time into my studies.

if you need to do some self learning on maths i should recommend a few books, engineering mathematics and advanced engineering mathematics by k.a. stroud. they are i suppose geared specifically toward engineering but i got them when i started my b.eng a while ago and fund them really excellent to help get up to speed after being out of school for some 10 years.

Yeah I know the feeling. I failed Advanced Physics II this semester :( Best I got was a credit in philosophy although I have to admit I didn't put in enough effort to get any higher. I've still got one test to do tomorrow due to illness but I'm pretty confident I'll do well, at least well enough for me to get my GPA high enough to transfer.

By the way, right now you mightn't find this useful but if you want to get a grip on maths, physics etc. Use khanacademy.org or search khanacademy on youtube. I wish I used this more this semester but I had a bit on my plate to deal with and sort of neglected uni for a bit. Learned some valuable lessons from failing physics though :)

Also, posting queries on the forum could net you some help with us. I like to think I'm good at explaining concepts, most of the time people seem to understand me, but while in the process I feel so clumsy about it. Could give it a try, I'm sure there are a few other's that would be happy to help.

I was trying to think of some good free online resources. All I could come up with is this, which is the MIT open course ware. They post up lectures, exams, notes, etc. on a broad range of subjects.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

This is the link straight to the mathematics section. http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/#mathematics

I find these really useful for when I have a completely useless teacher for a subject (as in: they are bad at teaching and/or I can't keep my attention on them)