The Corroboree
Slybacon

Ex-MI5 boss to call for cannabis to be decriminalised

Ex-MI5 boss to call for cannabis to be decriminalised

Lady Manningham-Buller wants cannabis sale to be regulated

17 November 2011 Last updated at 16:48

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-15770842

Ex-MI5 chief Baroness Manningham-Buller is set to call for cannabis to be decriminalised in a speech.

The crossbench peer believes that only by regulating the sale of cannabis can its psychotic effects be controlled.

She is also expected to say the “war on drugs” has been “fruitless”.

Her speech to the all-party parliamentary drugs group is likely to single out politicians who “go quiet” when faced by “crude assertions” of the harm caused by changing drugs policy.

She joins a growing list of high profile figures including Dame Judi Dench, Sting, Sir Richard Branson and former senior police officers who have urged the legalisation of some drugs.

Lady Manningham-Buller’s speech will form part of a two-day parliamentary conference on drugs policy hearing contributions from narcotics experts from around the world.

‘Knee-jerk opposition’

Regulating cannabis would mean that society focused on the health aspects of drug use rather than the criminalisation of drug users, she is expected to say.

Regulation would also ensure that it did not include the components most dangerous to mental health.

Although it is understood that she will not name David Cameron or any other politician, her speech is expected to criticise the reaction of politicians to the “taboo area” of drugs.

She is expected to say it is “extraordinary” that while drugs are harmful to society, destroy lives and increase crime, there is “knee jerk opposition” to change and an assumption that the current policy is best.

While politicians may recognise that there are serious questions about the efficacy of current policies, they “go quiet or retract when face by the crude assertion that any other policy would do corrosive and irreparable harm”.

Baroness Meacher, who is the chair of the all-party parliamentary group on drugs policy reform – at which Baroness Manningham-Buller is speaking – is calling on David Cameron to take action.

“We are urging the prime minister to bring forward an all party commission to examine our drug laws which are simply not working,” she said.

“We are one of the highest users of drugs and yet we have some of the toughest laws.”

‘White flag’

But Chip Somers of the drug treatment group Focus 12 says decriminalising cannabis is the wrong way forward.

“I don’t want the person driving the train I’m on to have just had a joint thank you very much,” he said. “I am reassured by the fact that it is illegal.”

Baroness Manningham-Buller is a crossbench peer and does not represent any political party

Christian Guy, policy director of the Centre for Social Justice, agreed that the “war on drugs” was failing, but said that was no reason to “surrender”.

He added: “What I am concerned about is the idea that we should stop fighting it and wave the white flag to these criminal gangs and say that we walk away and give up.

“We need a clear message from law that says this is wrong and sends the right message to young people. But we also need to take other things more seriously.

“This is the wrong call at the wrong time. We need to look at how we prevent drugs use and deal with the demand, not necessarily the supply, and we also need to look at treatment which needs to become much more effective at getting people off drugs and rebuilding their lives, and I think this is a distraction.”

Three years ago, the then Labour government reclassified cannabis to Class B from C – against the advice of its own drug advisers who said cannabis played only a “modest” role in the development of psychotic illnesses.

I believe that drug use should be primarily a health issue, not a legal one. Its time that law enforcers are freed from this ridiculous burden so they can focus on real crime. Its time that the authorities stop wrecking the lives of innocent persons simply for ingesting certain compounds. Current drug policy is arbitrary, ineffectual and harmful, and its time for change!

Quote '' what I'm concerned about is the idea that we should stop fighting and wave a white flag to these criminal gangs''

What an idiot if it was sold by the government cheap enough there would be no reason for these ''criminal gangs'' to sell it and no profit to entice them into.

If it was never criminalize there would be no black market for it at all and if they didn't crack down on growing a few plants yourself there would probably be no hydro.

Infact i believe without the war on drugs it would probably be mostly unknown to a lot of ppl these days

agree carl, i also didn't like

“I don’t want the person driving the train I’m on to have just had a joint thank you very much,” he said. “I am reassured by the fact that it is illegal.”

maybe he shouldn't be since there is really still nothing stopping the train driver from being stoned.

Its a weird article, considering its fairly well documented that most of the UK and USA intelligence agencies are involved in the international drug market. Can't see how they would benefit from "legalising" dope.

• Like 1

"I don't want the person driving the train I'm on to have just had a joint thank you very much," he said. "I am reassured by the fact that it is illegal."

I also found that line to be especially cringe-worthy.

Yeah that one got to me aswell id rather him stoned than drunk and that's legal!

I doubt driving a train drunk is leagle.

Regulation would also ensure that it did not include the components most dangerous to mental health.

I hope they mean that it does include the components most BENEFICIAL to mental health. Mandatory CBD with our THC?

Its a weird article, considering its fairly well documented that most of the UK and USA intelligence agencies are involved in the international drug market. Can't see how they would benefit from "legalising" dope.

Less expenditure on chasing cannabis users and distributors, more capital for focusing on serious crime? I like to think that maybe some people in positions of power have good intentions. Not saying that these agencies haven't had vested interests in drug trafficking, just that its not universal amongst all law enforcement personel.

agreed

I've met many people who's concentration increase once high!

Me as well, and really what's stopping the train driver from taking legal narcotics, like a bunch of codeine, and driving the train? People can never see their own hypocrisy...

Edited by Roopey

agreed

I've met many people who's concentration increase once high!

That's just anecdotal, it's widely agreed upon that smoking cannabis lowers your reaction time.

Edited by Distracted

The whole "driving a train whilst high" isn't really relevant anyway. There is no conflict between legalizing and controlling cannabis, but also prohibiting train driving whilst under its influence.

true, it's just a pet peeve of mine to see posts with information i would consider erroneous.

I've never understood why governments would want cannabis outlawed... it seems the perfect drug to make people powerless. It demotivates people and slows down thoughts. If I wasn't smoking cannabis I would've upgraded from my low paying deadend job years ago.

Let the people get stoned, lazy, sleepy and hungry!

• Like 1

That's just anecdotal, it's widely agreed upon that smoking cannabis lowers your reaction time.

Yes that is true but when you say "cannabis" there such a variety some smoke will have you slow will and some will have you elevated and on key

me I'm a musician and some smoke i can't even hold the guitar let alone play lol

on the other hand every known and then (very rarely) some smoke I can pick that thing up and improvise some pretty gnarly shit

I think theres alot of misconception of how variable the effects are

too bad after all the cross breeding and tinkering and also the law forcing most plants inside

making the majority of product available to the average joe being very potent hydro unfortunately thats how it is

If the production was in your own hands or someone with more knowledgde and general concern towards supplying clean quality product it would be a different story

but with the people controlling the market just want more and more money and will take every shortcut to acheive maximum profit the people using will suffer!

If I wasn't smoking cannabis I would've upgraded from my low paying deadend job years ago

I just recently kicked the habbit and only indulge every known and then when quality stuff is floatin about and there is a BIG difference in my motivation and attitude

it's good fun to get stoned lazy and hungry but once it becomes routine or a habbit then you got a problem

it's something fun to enjoy every known just takes a lil self control

sorry if i went off on a bit of a tangent but when it comes to "cannabis" theres so many ways you can go :rolleyes:

Edited by danshaman

I'm not real sure on that i used to play a mean game of hacky sack while under the influence and anyways if your driving half the speed you have twice the time to react :) lol

Not that I'm saying it's a good idea i never drove while stoned when i used to smoke but mainly because id get way to paranoid and drive 20km an hour