The Corroboree
Hellonasty

Columnar ID

Question

Would love your thoughts on this one. Little hard to make out but at the top are two flower buds, once they bloom it will help with ID.

6320509418_418804487a_b.jpg

14 answers to this question

Kinda looks like a cross between deserticola and brevispinulosus, interesting cacti :)

looks identical to mine which i purchased as Trichocereus thelogonus from a respected collector, hopefully the flower bud doesnt fall off this year like it did last year...

cccccf.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Hellonasty, yes this is Trichocereus Thelegonus. Its nice to see them flowering at such young age. I have one huge giant that is flowering like crazy too. I really like em. They look badass when bigger.

Wow! That is the freakiest looking Trichocereus/Echinopsis I have ever seen.

Would be cool to see some crosses involving this one.

Edit: durr, gotta crest of one of these! Hopefully it throws out some regular growth.

Edited by centipede

That is a nice cactus. Where did you get it?

The german grower Robert Gräser once crossed Trichocereus Thelegonus with something else. The plant is called Theleflora which is a combination of Trichocereus Thelegonus and Echinopsis Eyriesii Grandiflora. Its a badass hybrid. bye Eg

I have a thelogonus that I plan to transplant into a large hanging pot, as it is one of the prostrate growers and would look great hanging down like a Selenicereus.

I'd like to see it crossed onto the prostrate peruvianus. I should be able to do the cross myself some day, when I eventually start getting flowers that is.

How old is yours, Halcyon? Thelegonus x Peruvianus is a very interesting cross that i have on my list. When i get some good pollen this year, i will cross a few diffrent types into the Thelegonus. It gets like 5-8 Flowers each year so i have plenty of room for tests there.

I've had the cutting for about 2.5 years and it's finally putting on growth again. Mine also aborted it's first flowers which was a bummer. I also secretly want to cross it onto Setiechinopsis mirabilis for a smaller nocturnal ornamental hanger. I'll have to try and see with that one though lol.

I've seen pics of white thelogonus and hot pink ones, I'm not sure what to expect with mine.

Edited by Halcyon Daze

well my flower didn't fall off !!! and i did a cross with the only thing i had ..an Echinopsis seminudus ,fingers crossed.

saab.jpg

sabbb.jpg

• Like 1

The cross pollination worked! (Echinopsis seminudus father x Trichocereus thelogonus mother ) those skilled in seed raising who would like some free seed to grow of this Pm me :)

PM'd ! I would love some man... I can offer some thelegonus x kermisina in return if you like

Awesome cross man. Mine flowered but I was away and didn't get a chance to pollinate it with anything.