The Corroboree
Heretic

koalas- braised and stewed

I dont know how to transmit the item to the forum - but on my Optus web page at the moment is an article about koalas in a restaurant in China . May be somebody can post this ?

A RESTAURANT in southern China is reportedly serving up stewed koala.

An Australian man visiting the Panyu district in Guangdong has told radio 3AW he was shocked to see the marsupial offered on the menu.

The traveller said hungry diners were able to select the live animal from a cage, where its price of 139 Yuan ($20) for 500 grams was advertised. They could then choose whether they wanted their koala "braised" or stewed".

Distressed by the scene, the Australian man snapped a photo of what appears to be the iconic animal, bent forward and facing downward in a cage, with only a carrot given as food.

Another caller, Melbourne businessman, Geoff Balsillie, told 3AW he wasn't surprised by the photograph.

He said he too had been taken to a restaurant serving exotic animals in China.

"I was taken to a restaurant for lunch by my host."

"After the lunch I went to check the plumbing and found all of these cages with all these animals so I took a few photos," he told radio 3AW.

"There was an egret, a marmot, some water fowl and a few others. I’m not sure whether they were on the menu. There were signs on the cages with numbers on them, telling you how much they were.

"I don’t know whether that was for a gram or for the whole beast, but they were obviously for sale. There was also the fish and snakes and the turtles and all the other things that they normally eat as well, but these animals were the ones that sort of got to me."

Mr Balsillie told his host what he had seen. She alerted police, who then raided the restaurant.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/chinese-restaurant-offers-braised-or-stewed-koala-on-the-menu/story-e6frfq80-1226181515043#ixzz1cL9TFf1q'>http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/chinese-restaurant-offers-braised-or-stewed-koala-on-the-menu/story-e6frfq80-1226181515043#ixzz1cL9TFf1q

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/chinese-restaurant-offers-braised-or-stewed-koala-on-the-menu/story-e6frfq80-1226181515043

While that's pretty fucked up, it's really no worse than any other live animal in a cage destined for someone's meal. No animals should be kept in conditions like that under any circumstances, regardless of whether they're iconic or not.

• Like 2

Can koalas be bred If thats what they're doing, then I see no problem (cute factor doesnt cut it for me). We breed cows, sheep etc for food, why should a koala be any different? If theyre illegally exporting them from the wild of Australia, then that is fucked up. Dont see how they could though.

My guess... case of misidentification, and what the guy saw was a giant marmot, which are common in Mongolia... at least I think thats what Im thinking of.

• Like 1

See how this could me misidentified... by an over-reacting idiot LOL?

Himalayan Marmot

M6.jpg

M5.jpg

Radio 3AW is a redneck talkback station, right ? I imagine the listeners arent the sharpest knives in the drawer, nor very observant.

• Like 1

Ah I just saw the photo, that definitely is a marmot.

Nice marketing to call it koala though.

A chinese guy at work once told me that there is an old saying about mainland chinese people: that they will eat anything with its back to the sun.

Didnt early white settlers in Australia get sick from eating koalas and wombats due to eucalyptus oils?

While that's pretty fucked up, it's really no worse than any other live animal in a cage destined for someone's meal. No animals should be kept in conditions like that under any circumstances, regardless of whether they're iconic or not.

Straight truth

yeah, definitely not a koala, so probably not newsworthy.

it would destroy your soul to kill a real for something as petty as novelty pseudo delicacy food