The Corroboree
Alice

International trade sub-forum

I would like to discuss this with everyone please, both overseas and local members. So please speak up if you have an opinion one way or another.

I would like to suggest that an International/Overseas Trading sub-forum, for those items which are not allowed to be legally brought into Australia, would be a good thing too have. The idea for this of course comes from discussion we have been having in other threads.

I DO think it important that overseas members have the opportunity to trade, and if anything, having such a sub-forum might actually make it easier for overseas members to engage in successful trade because of the general reluctance of Australian members to post or receive from overseas because of customs, quarantine, legal etc reasons.

I do value very much the contributions and presence of our active overseas members, clearly there are lots of you including some Mods. So I hope I am not causing offence with this post, that is not at all my intention.

As far as I can observe, the majority of our active members are based in Australia. The majority of trades appear to occur within Australia. And I would also go as far to say that the majority of international trades posted here could land an Australian members in a far bit of trouble if they tried to import the items.

We made a sub-forum for plant, fungi and cacti identification, which I see as a place catering to the needs of some, and allowing the rest of us to ignore a large number of posts that otherwise clutter the main forum.

I don't want log on and see a dozen threads asking for an acacia or trich ID, nor do I particularly want to see a dozen threads advertising the same illegal import over and over again.

I think a non-australian trade sub-forum for those items which are not allowed into Australia would be a positive move for everyone.

Thoughts?

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

Good idea and I agree with a lot of what you have proposed

However, I have traded lots of seeds with people in Aus and overseas and prefer trading on here to buying from websites..

I would hate to have to post every trade in an international sub forum where most members would ignore it/not see it.. but for items that are illegal to import into Aus this would be a good step.

For stuff that one could import into Aus if going thru the right channels and procedures, I would like it if I could still post these in the regular trading forum

I think it's a great idea, I'm sick of being plant teased :wink:

• Like 1

I would hate to have to post every trade in an international sub forum where most members would ignore it/not see it.. but for items that are illegal to import into Aus this would be a good step.

For stuff that one could import into Aus if going thru the right channels and procedures, I would like it if I could still post these in the regular trading forum

That's a very good point Centipede.

The way I see it, those legit trades are not the problem, and so should remain in the regular plant exchange as usual. They seem to constitute only a very small number compared with those international offers that are illegal to import, and thus don't stand out anyway.

It's the illegal to import items that I think should have a sub-forum of their own.

Edited by Alice

Just my opinion.......

To create a whole new subforum for a small handful of members just isn't going to happen. I don't see it being big enough an issue to warrant another category.

So it's illegal in Australia? The onus really is on the reader to make the decision. A few clicks away I could buy plenty of illegal items online. My ISP isn't going to be responsible acting as the conduit for an illegal transaction, and so too this forum isnt responsible for what people try and import.

Sure, the trader you had in mind when writing this can be a pain to read, with his overpriced unobtainbles, especially when that's ALL he seems to use this forum for - flogging his stuff. But it's easy enough to simply not open his threads if you see them.

He (and another, presently suspended, US trader that comes to mind) are watched fairly closely by the moderator team to ensure they add a disclaimer of 'no shipping to Oz", which is strictly not even necessary, but at least it gives local members a heads up that if they proceed, there was fair warning.

The occasions of this popping up doesn't really warrant a forum enhancement, when there are other things that could be done to pimp up the online interactivity.

LIKE BEING ABLE TO EMBED SOUNDCLOUD MEDIA !

Edited by Psylo Dread
  • Like 1

It seems to me that more & more items that we enjoy growing are becoming illegal in many countries, not just Australia

Will this proposed sub forum be broken down further into more sub forums on a country by country basis?

If an o/s member wishes to trade / sell things that are illegal to import into Aus, their post should have a disclaimer as such. If their is no disclaimer or it's inaccurate, the forum mods should immediately delete the post, lock the thread, or whatever.

Where does it say who can PM who regarding any for sale or trade thread, and if a member chooses to import something on their own, what is SAB's concern? Who's business is it what another member chooses to import?

having such a sub-forum might actually make it easier for overseas members to engage in successful trade because of the general reluctance of Australian members to post or receive from overseas

Answer me this:

How would requiring o/s traders post in a sub forum viewed mainly by other o/s traders make it easier for them to engage in a successful trade, on and above the current system? As it stands now, every single member (100%) who wishes to trade, regardless of location, reads this forum. How would limiting the o/s traders to a separate sub forum increase their chances of a trade when a much smaller percentage of total members would be reading or participating in the sub forum???

There's already three trading sub forums here that I cannot participate in, which totally pisses me off.

Fair and valid comments, thanks for your input.

Psylo dread - I do see your point about adding another category for a small issue. I'm keen to hear Torstens opinion on this too. I would imagine he is against the idea as if everybody's suggestions over the years were taken on board we'd have 50 million sub forums by now lol. Could get very tricky to navigate.

Zelly - In response to your question, it seems to me that many local members are not so willing to engage in international trade because of the implications not only of bringing things in, but sending things out. International members appear to be more free to engage in trade in other countries that don't have such strict rules as we have. So if there was a dedicated overseas trade sub-forum, you might not need to trawl through dozen and dozens of local for sale posts, and PM the local member, only to be told "Sorry, I'm not willing to send items overseas" etc. Might save you some mucking around. Also, aussie members who are willing to send stuff overseas could specifically post their sale lists in the international trade forum, indicating that they are happy to send o/s, for example. This is the sort of thing I meant.

I'm just throwing these ideas out there, please keep sharing your opinions. Perhaps it's a good idea, or maybe it's not such a good idea after all.

Edited by Alice

I don't think the member base here is large enough to warrant another trading forum for overseas members.

There's already three trading sub forums here that I cannot participate in, which totally pisses me off.

Which three?

I'll just quote myself from the banisteriopsis thread:

A simple mandatory tag (e.g. International, EU, US or Asia) in the title would be enough to distinguish between Australian only trades/sales and international ones.

Rather than pasting what I just posted in the banisteriopsis thread, I'll just link to it here, as it's probably more relevant in this forum than the other. http://www.shaman-au...ndpost&p=330382

tripsis- the 3 sub forums are actually the 1st, 3rd & 4th pinned threads in seed & plant exchange forum. my bad for referring to them as sub forums.

I'll just quote myself from the banisteriopsis thread:

I agree. A preix of "USA" or "EU" would solve this problem for me. I dont think the sub forum is a bad idea either though.