The Corroboree
santiago

Member reputations clogging the forum.

The last few days since the member reputations has been introduced i think it has been to the detriment of the overall functionality of the forum. Its a great idea i totally agree with it but there are a few issues. For my personal forum taste i like to use "view new content" as opposed to a sub forum type squat to persuse the latest and greatest. The problem now is that half the new content posts are really now irrelevant pat backing.

I totally see the need for this but i think it should be hidden from the main area, maybe like the chem forum. I know this may be a pain in the ass for newbs but so long as the majority know its there it is a functional system still. Also i think 99% of trades go well so your talking about a massive purge to the overall functionality of the site for what is essentially a peer to peer trading system anyway, i know it looks bad to the mods and torsten and coroborree when it does go bad but really it has nothing to do with them, it has to do with the honour of an individual.

I have a lot more to say and that involves future changes to internet privavy, law enforcement and the possible legality of soon to be ammended plant legalities and post a pre dated charges.

Would it be worth looking into hiding the sub forum or simply deleting it. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hi Santiago,

Once we all finish with the new circle jerk that is the the trading reputations forum it will no doubt calm down a bit. No more than a few new rep postings every week I imagine. This forum will really become useful when something goes wrong. I think its nice to see so many good trades happening.

It makes me want to be more involved in trading again. Well done everyone. :)

I don't know how pre-dated charges work but I currently play within the law and if the laws change so will I.

If I were you I would just be patient and let mass of new reputation posts pass by. :)

Edited by watertrade
  • Like 3

I agree Santiago. Would be good if it was excluded from "view new content", but I have no idea how easily this could be achieved.

At least the format is "username (number)" so it makes it easier to ignore recent posts of that name format. I imagine that is probably why admin insists on the member number in brackets, so you can quickly identify trade rep threads, and ignore.

But as Watertrade said, it should calm down a bit over the next few weeks and then it will be less intrusive.

I think having rep threads is really useful by the way.

I agree it would be nice, but i think it will slow down after a week or so.

Hi Santiago, i dont think this is a longtime issue. We´ll see how it goes in a few weeks. If it should really be a permanent thing that we have so many new trading threads we can still come up with something that filters em out. If thats even possible from a technical point of view. But i doubt we have so many active traders.

I have no problem ignoring the theads when i click on "show new content".

I was thinking about this as well, and I too think it will die down. And, when it does, people will notice a new one pop up in "view new content" which might not be such a bad thing if they're waiting for a package from the person who the thread is about but felt it too early to post themselves.

I was thinking more about my own email subscriptions. Do I unsubscribe from threads that I've posted in to avoid just getting heaps and heaps of replies that I don't need to read? I'm just worried someone will direct a question at me or something and I won't know because I've unsubscribed.

geez, santiago, for someone who hates the internet so much you do whinge a lot about it :P

As already stated, it is a temporary problem. And in the long run it will probably save you time because you won't be lured into obscurely named individual reputation threads and requests that weigh heavily on every other functionality of the forum.

And again, as already stated, even when using the 'new content' feature it is pretty easy to spot and ignore the reputation threads thanks to their uniform titles.

should I get you a hanky anyway?

Ballzac, I don't understand your issue. Are you concerned about subscribing to too many reputation threads? why subscribe to any other than your own? Sorry, maybe I am a bit slow today, but I seem to be missing what the problem is. please elaborate.

nah no hanky required but thanks anyway :) , probably should have realised the traffic would die down a bit but certainly i view it to be a bit suspicious on a global scale. its a public forum so any obscure search is gonna bring up random members but of course that up to the individual who puts it out there.

seems like it would be best served as a member privellage maybe not a global free for all, i mean this aint ebay.

but thats your decision not mine but please respect some negative feedback, i have a love hate relationship with the internet....im not gonna be a fuddy duddy who disses the internet based on predudice i am going to approach it as a ''better the devil you know" type situation, and of course i realise just cos its love hate for me doesnt make it not right to be love/love for somebody else or their situation.

Forum was never meant to be public. search bots had already been locked out, but for some reason the permissions for guests, validating, and banned users did not stick. fixed now.

Ballzac, I don't understand your issue. Are you concerned about subscribing to too many reputation threads? why subscribe to any other than your own? Sorry, maybe I am a bit slow today, but I seem to be missing what the problem is. please elaborate.

Well, normally if I post in a thread I'm automatically subscribed, and I like it that way. Say I give someone a great review, but I accidentally omit a word and end up saying something contradictory because of it. Someone can pick me up on it and ask what I really meant and I will get the response and go back and correct myself. These kind of slip ups happen all the time, and I don't think it's good to have any kind of involvement in a thread without being subscribed to it. Case in point, if I wasn't subscribed to THIS thread, I wouldn't be answering your question right now.

I realise the rep threads are not for general discussion, so this would not be a problem most of the time, but there is certainly a potential for problems if people aren't able to query what others have said and get a response, especially when someones reputation can be damaged by a simple slip of the keyboard. So yes, I think it's very important to be subscribed to any rep threads that you respond to. Getting too many subscription emails is a minor gripe and an unavoidable consequence.

Anyway, I think the rep threads are much better than the way things work on ebay. Ebay gives you no opportunity to provide any subtleties, and it means you have to give them a glowing review otherwise it sounds like you're being a cunt. I might have a transaction with someone where the goods were sent immediately and they threw in freebies, but they sent me a cutting that was more damaged than I expected, or the wrong species of such and such seeds. I could put a detail like that in my review but go on to say I was happy with the transaction overall and am aware that it probably doesn't normally happen and that I'd trade with that person again. You can't give that kind of review on ebay.

Forum was never meant to be public. search bots had already been locked out, but for some reason the permissions for guests, validating, and banned users did not stick. fixed now.

Is that forum-wide or limited to the trading rep. forum?

tripsis, only rep forum.

there are also limitations on the pharm forum.