The Corroboree
ErraneousHerbalist

Plants every ethnobotantist needs in their garden.

To start off a big Hello! To everyone! My name's Andrew, and I'm a very keen green finger. I'm from NZ but live on the Gold Coast.

What I would like to know is what every one should have in their entheogen garden, I've currently got Lion's Ear, Motherwort and 'Heavenly Blue' morning glories. I've also got some Brugmansia, N.Tobaccum, and Wild Lettuce seeds coming from d00d(thanks!)

Any recommendations would be welcome in ernest that could kick my garden off with a headstart! :worship:

Welcome.

Depends what you're interested in. If you're not sure, then just collect them all :)

Are you limited by space?

Caapi is a magnificent vine. Especially when she gets so thick you could swing of her, Tarzan style. Psychotrias are easy to grow in your climate, and compliment caapi well.

Couple of trichs, they grow fast.

Some khat to give you energy while you garden.

Culinary herbs for cooking, and tea. At least a few different vegies.

Definately a brug or two, I miss having brugs so much.

Choose plants suited to your climate. It sucks to have to care for a plant every day only to have it rot in summer because it's too humid, or die in winter because of frost etc. Or for it to just struggle and look shit despite your best efforts.

Grow easy plants and pump them with manure, mulch well, sit on the deck while it rains, enjoy.

Edited by Alice

Comfrey is a good one to grow too. Many uses!

Welcome.

Depends what you're interested in. If you're not sure, then just collect them all :)

Are you limited by space?

Caapi is a magnificent vine. Especially when she gets so thick you could swing of her, Tarzan style. Psychotrias are easy to grow in your climate, and compliment caapi well.

Couple of trichs, they grow fast.

Some khat to give you energy while you garden.

Culinary herbs for cooking, and tea. At least a few different vegies.

Definately a brug or two, I miss having brugs so much.

Choose plants suited to your climate. It sucks to have to care for a plant every day only to have it rot in summer because it's too humid, or die in winter because of frost etc. Or for it to just struggle and look shit despite your best efforts.

Grow easy plants and pump them with manure, mulch well, sit on the deck while it rains, enjoy.

Thanks for the welcome :blush:

I am some-what limited by space at the moment. I live in an apartment with a large balcony(s), hopefully though I'll be getting a house sometime in the next year or so. Would that be a short enough time-span for the psychotrias/caapi before they got out of hand? It seems as though Khat is illegal in QLD, listed in the same position as my good friend MaryJane. Bummer, sounds like I'll have to stick to yerba mate tea for the meanwhile :/

I'm limited in space, but I'm managing to grow a tomato plant, a strawberry plant, multiple white bean plants with ease on the balcony. I have a selection of herbs as well. Sage, chives, oregano, parsley, corriander, mint, catnip, lion's ear, motherwort, and stevia. Along with my salvia farinacea, morning glories, HBWR and my salvia splendens.

Comfrey is a good one to grow too. Many uses!

Comfrey eh? I'll have to find a source for the seeds/plant then. Is it actually a good fertilizer?

Apparently. I've not used it before, though I have 5 or 6 plants which are really beginning to put out growth now it's warming up. I don't see why it would have the reputation it does if it wasn't true.

Edit: Daleys Fruits often has plants, though I'm sure they're available elsewhere too. I must say I only have good things to say about Daleys though, so recommend them.

Edited by tripsis

dont think it set seed very often. Ususally spread by divisions. sorry i dont have this one or id send ya a bit

The psychotria will be fine - Iv had some for about a year or 2 and they were 30cm when I got them and shoulder hight now (in pots that are small enough to carry -awkwardly-). My experience with caapi is that it wont do anything for months when its first transplanted, then will suddenly grow super fast (Im talking a few meters in a month or 2 :blink: ). Morning glory and HBWR might do the same (although its not as hot where you are, and Iv heard HBWR only grows super quick in really high temperatures).

If you can find some, Iboga and tabernaemontana spp are nice - they grow moderately fast and will flower after a year or so. Iboga can be a bit of a pain to grow at times though. Some interesting chili varieties will add some colour, as well as some of the salvia species (many are available in dwarf forms too). Any cacti would go nicely if you get lots of sun too and if columnars get too tall you can always chop them down, and theyll pup like crazy where you cut them off.

if your into fruit and things that could grow into trees some day I hear the member 7baz is in the know when it comes to bonsai. QLD has a pretty good climate for most of the interesting ethno's so space is probably your only limit

EDIT: you should be able to pick comfrey up at bunnings or similar

Edited by poisonshroom
  • Like 1

dont think it set seed very often. Ususally spread by divisions

That's my understanding too, though apparently Phoenix Seeds has seeds of comfrey.

Ephedra species are some of my favourite ethnos. Beautiful little plants, tasty and attractive fruits, many different sizes (really love the dwarf species) and botanically very unusual. Extremely hardy too.

The psychotria will be fine - Iv had some for about a year or 2 and they were 30cm when I got them and shoulder hight now (in pots that are small enough to carry -awkwardly-). My experience with caapi is that it wont do anything for months when its first transplanted, then will suddenly grow super fast (Im talking a few meters in a month or 2 :blink: ). Morning glory and HBWR might do the same (although its not as hot where you are, and Iv heard HBWR only grows super quick in really high temperatures).

Thanks for the info, sounds like I'll be able to grow it in that case. :lol:

If you can find some, Iboga and tabernaemontana spp are nice - they grow moderately fast and will flower after a year or so. Iboga can be a bit of a pain to grow at times though.

Taebernaemontana you say? That would be interesting to check out.

if your into fruit and things that could grow into trees some day I hear the member 7baz is in the know when it comes to bonsai. QLD has a pretty good climate for most of the interesting ethno's so space is probably your only limit

Yeah I'm definitely into fruit and the like. I actually have five bonsai myself. Although one of them has aphids at the moment.. :angry:

It's great that you guys are being helpful! But slight hitch on my behalf. Where the depths of tartarus could I acquire the plants? I'll have a looksie in the exchange.

Ephedra species are some of my favourite ethnos

2 days ago planted my first plants with some gerardiana seed, some acacia seed, some desmanthus illinoensis and a few sida cordifolia seeds. we've just had 2 days of solid rain, and i've just started seeing a new and awesome girl. i love the universe

Edited by bulls on parade

What I would like to know is what every one should have in their entheogen garden, I've currently got Lion's Ear, Motherwort and 'Heavenly Blue' morning glories. I've also got some Brugmansia, N.Tobaccum, and Wild Lettuce seeds coming from d00d(thanks!)

here's your list-

http://www.shaman-australis.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29451

• Like 3

you could find this Macropiper excelsum kawa kawa maby in the wild in nz

Have to agree with EG there - cacti are the perfect plants for limited space.

Where the depths of tartarus could I acquire the plants? I'll have a looksie in the exchange.

Yep the seed and plant exchange is good. You can post wanted ads. Keep in mind that if you ask for stuff at the wrong time of year then you'll get little response, ie iboga plant cuttings in winter, best wait for summer once the spring cuttings are established etc. Members here post seed and plants for sale ads all the time, check it daily and you'll soon aquire almost everything you're after.

This is the store connected with this forum:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/Website/Shamanmainpageframeset.htm

There are others too, but the SAB store has a lot to offer.

Ebay, but watch out because things can be WAY over priced.

I would avoid ordering from overseas, more hassle than it's worth in my opinion.

• Like 1

Cheers! Now I've got a list to add ticks to! :o

you could find this Macropiper excelsum kawa kawa maby in the wild in nz

I've heard of this plant before used to grow rampant on my land back in NZ. Although, to be honest the only thing I've actually ever used it for was toilet paper when camping! :lol:

Yep the seed and plant exchange is good. You can post wanted ads. Keep in mind that if you ask for stuff at the wrong time of year then you'll get little response, ie iboga plant cuttings in winter, best wait for summer once the spring cuttings are established etc. Members here post seed and plants for sale ads all the time, check it daily and you'll soon acquire almost everything you're after.

This is the store connected with this forum:

http://www.shaman-australis.com.au/Website/Shamanmainpageframeset.htm

There are others too, but the SAB store has a lot to offer.

Ebay, but watch out because things can be WAY over priced.

I would avoid ordering from overseas, more hassle than it's worth in my opinion.

Thanks, yeah I already knew about the SAB store. I'll be ordering heaps of different types of seeds when friday comes along. The only experience I have with Ebay is buying some HBWR seeds, I recieved 30 for $15 not sure if that's a rip-off but they were... useful. :P

Thanks, I will stick that advice about not ordering from overseas, too much of a hassle with customs and everything...

Cacti. Lots of Cacti. :devil: Welcome Herbalist btw! bye Eg

Yes definitely! I'll be adding some trichs and co to my collection in the near future. :D

i can send you a couple of trich cuttings and a nice healthy seed grown loph to get you started if your happy to pay for postage ! pm me if your interested mate :)

i can send you a couple of trich cuttings and a nice healthy seed grown loph to get you started if your happy to pay for postage ! pm me if your interested mate :)

Pm'd! Cheers mate, I'll gladly repay the kindness when I can to any other newbies! That goes for all my plants. Also; how well would a leonurus nepetifolia seedling do in postage as I've got more than I need and will gladly post some away!

Where I am is in a eucalypt forest where light is a problem. lactuca virosa loves it though. Motherwort is attractive but not very useful unless you suffer hypertension.

Living in a eucalyptus forest would be very relaxing. Must smell nice as well. Are there many koalas there? Yeah, I'd have to agree with you about motherwort. Doesn't contain nearly enough leourine to be an entheogenic substance. Supposedly great for the 'menzies' apparently. But that doesn't apply to me! (Thank the gods!) :P

Yup. I think it's quite useful for noobs just getting into ethnobotany though.

I'm about to expand it once again.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Yup. I think it's quite useful for noobs just getting into ethnobotany though.

Whatchu' talking bout willis? You sayin' I'm a noob?

You'd be right :P But only to entheogens.

I'm about to expand it once again.

:drool2: