The Corroboree
Teotzlcoatl

Absinthe

Does absinthe actually have psychoactive effects beyond what is caused by the alcohol?

YES! (and don't let anybody tell you otherwise).

"man this shit makes you hallucinate"

No, not really.

Torsten I like Jade 1901, Edouard, pretty much all their stuff is good and I really like the brandy flavor!

I know a little about the history but tell us more!

absinthe is probably such a broad product that assigning it any given effect (other than those of ethanol which it always contains a lot of) is probably misguided. much like saying "cannabis" which could mean any one of buds, leaf, hash, pure thc or even non psychoactive hemp, except probably even more variable, owing to the plethora of different additive combinations (as seen in teotz's list). the only way to find out for yourself is to try! happy absintheurism.

Well said.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Torsten I like Jade 1901, Edouard, pretty much all their stuff is good and I really like the brandy flavor!

I know a little about the history but tell us more!

I wish he'd make them with a clean spirit too. I can see the masterful combination of herbs, but the dirty brandy aftertaste just gives me the shudders.

This is your absinthe thread and you like Jade, so you should tell the story. You can't discuss modern absinthe without Ted Breaux's story and especially his methods.

This should be good enough-

I really don't know that much about Jade!

teotz, check for double posts in the future (not happy), because of your doble posting, we got two threads now, and i can't join them, allthough my buttons claim i can do so.

that's what i recommand, in case you created a double post:

delete the content's of one of them, right away.

only the admin's can join two threads, and i'm sure they don't have often time for this.

teotz, check for double posts in the future (not happy), because of your doble posting, we got two threads now, and i can't join them, allthough my buttons claim i can do so.

I didn't mean to do it! I didn't post it twice it must have been a glitch or something cause it wasn't me!

i hope you will always check for double posts in the future!

i haven't said anything about the "why" a double posts happen,

don't start talking about something else...

anyway, to all members, PLEASE ALWAYS CHECK FOR DOUBLE POSTS, THANK YOU!! :)

Im still not convinced that absinthe has a broader psychoactivity beyond alcohol intoxication. Teo, perhaps you could make a Coleus variety?

yes, that's a nice clip. It shows the history of absinthe as well as some of Ted's work.

The thing to mention is that the various Jade Absinthe are actually replicas of high quality pre-ban absinthe. He forensically analysed them and then recreated them. The interesting thing is that most of them have a thujone content well below the modern health limit of 10mg/L. So, while wormwood is essential for good absinthe, thujone is not.

Zen, as mentioned in a previous post, try consuming a small amount during the day and see how it affects your sleep. The best way to tell if absinthe is more than just alcohol is to do it in small amounts. The alcohol from a couple of shots should have worn off completely after a few hours, but in the case of good absinthe it is obvious that one has not returned to baseline after that time.

i have not had any marked effects upon my sleep from absinthe torsten, care to elaborate on this? then again, i do usually drink at night, and alcohol stops me sleeping, so i guess this isn't a controlled environment...

I should add I can't vouch for the czech style mouthwash quality absinthe as I can't get more than half a glass of that shit down.

The effect I get from two serves [ie about 5 standard drinks] consumed at least 6 hours before sleep is that of a very light sleep with lots of waking type dreams. I get a similar effect from taking prednisone before bed. This kicks in the adrenals which then causes a low quality shallow sleep with lots of waking dreams. That's why I m pretty sure that absinthe either triggers release of catecholamines or inhibits the GABA system, wich both have a similar net effect. I have consumed wormwood oil by itself and have not had this effect which is why I presume it is either due to the combination with alcohol or it is one or more of the other herbs. I've been trying to have a play around with fennel oil for a while and in particular fenchone, but have not had the chance. Many absinthe afficionados think the subtle extra effect is somehow related to the fennel as it seems to correspond with the intensity of the fennel flavour.

Teo, perhaps you could make a Coleus variety?

Haha!

Coleus = inactive.

Absinthe = active (beyond alcohol).

The thing to mention is that the various Jade Absinthe are actually replicas of high quality pre-ban absinthe. He forensically analysed them and then recreated them.

Oh yes of course, that is why they are some of the best!

Zen, as mentioned in a previous post, try consuming a small amount during the day and see how it affects your sleep. The best way to tell if absinthe is more than just alcohol is to do it in small amounts. The alcohol from a couple of shots should have worn off completely after a few hours, but in the case of good absinthe it is obvious that one has not returned to baseline after that time.

I always wanted to evaporate all the alcohol and eat the goo left over, if that is psychoactive then we know for sure! Somebody try it!!!

Many absinthe afficionados think the subtle extra effect is somehow related to the fennel as it seems to correspond with the intensity of the fennel flavour.

Keep in mind they use a very specific variety of fennel! Foeniculum vulgare var. azoricum also known as "Florence Fennel".

I always wanted to evaporate all the alcohol and eat the goo left over, if that is psychoactive then we know for sure! Somebody try it!!!

I don't think you thought about this sentence. How would you get the goo? Boil off the alcohol? LOL.

Keep in mind they use a very specific variety of fennel! Foeniculum vulgare var. azoricum also known as "Florence Fennel".

yes, I know. Any idea if this is pharmacologically different to other fennel?

I don't think you thought about this sentence. How would you get the goo? Boil off the alcohol? LOL.

Let it sit and evaporate. A fan? Duh. Have you never done that before?

Nope.

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Let and sit and evaporate. A fan? Duh. Have you never done that before?

Have you ever tried to evaporate a distillate? LOL.

Hell no I'm not wasting an 80 dollar bottle of good absinthe evaporating it! LOL, somebody else do it!

I had evaporated plenty of alcohol extracts and tinctures though.

I can't believe you've never done that...

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

You're not getting it. A distillate only has volatiles in it so evaporating it is just like distilling it, ie you get no residue [well, maybe a tiny bit of heavy oils that will take a bit longer to evaporate, but given enough time there will be NOTHING]. If you don't believe it why not evap some of a cheap bottle of absinthe. Mind you it will probably contain sugar or glycerine that will remain as residue.

Evaporating a tincture or extract is a completely different thing as this also contains non volatiles [fats/oils, alkaloids, sugars, etc]. I do many litres of this every week :bootyshake:

lol. but you know i bet most of the cheapo brands you can find in most liquor stores probably do have a ton of otehr shit in them that do leave a resinous looking goo at the end. at least the ones i have tried (Czech as it happens) i would not ever think of them evaping clean, or even close.

i have not tried a great deal of types, but the ones i have tried have always left me with a feeling i can only describe closely related to chewing betel nut and drinking strong drink. its a very uplifting, gitty (or giddy?) "high" in a sense. a very upbeat happy time, not anything so foreign feeling, but up a level from simple booze depression.

Anyone tried SAB's 10ml bottle of absinthe concentrate? I wonder if T and his team make it themselves or get it from another source?

Yes, I have...I made my own alcohol with my own still and added in the concentrate from the SAB store. The end result was pretty damn amazing. Christmas morning a couple of years back I shared a few shots with my brother in law. He was highly sceptical. He sculled down his first shot and instantly every hair on his body stood up. It was a brilliant Christmas. :devil: He still talks about it and requests it often. I don't know where T gets it from though but I was impressed with what I received.

regarding essential oils i found the following data:

regular fennel:

anethole (82%), Limonene (6.55%), Estragole

(3.53%), 3-Carene (1.12%) and linalool - (1.12%).

florence fennel

anethole (59.28–71.69%), limonene (8.30–10.73%), apiole (trace to 9.23%), β-fenchyl acetate (3.02–4.80%), and perillene (2.16–3.29%)

also see this pdf:

molecules-16-01366.pdf

I recall that one member of the apiaceae was said to be used to brew/distill a drink that caused an intoxication that involved seeing colors, and it caused hangover, i forget what plant this was, but the family is very interesting...

there are claims that fennel itself is capable of causing hallucination

now assume for a moment that apiole, which can sometimes be found in florence fennel according to some data, is ingested and cycled in the body into DMMDA...

molecules-16-01366.pdf

molecules-16-01366.pdf

Yes, I have...I made my own alcohol with my own still and added in the concentrate from the SAB store. The end result was pretty damn amazing. Christmas morning a couple of years back I shared a few shots with my brother in law. He was highly sceptical. He sculled down his first shot and instantly every hair on his body stood up. It was a brilliant Christmas. :devil: He still talks about it and requests it often. I don't know where T gets it from though but I was impressed with what I received.

cool story, how much did you use? i have some but am yet to try it. i find the instructions (one drop per litre or something similarly miniscule) to be rather suspiciously low. but, as i said, i am yet to try it. i just can't imagine one drop making any difference. i would have thought it would be more akin to one drop per serve...

Frank, the instructions on la fee concentrate are to comply with food legislation. Without that label we would not be able to sell it as that rate is what would give you up to 10mg thujone/L. I figure most people will add according to taste anyway.

hmm, it's a shame if tort takes the time to explain something and people don't seem to learn from it...

so, i go back to "why absinth can't be evaporated", to reveal a gum, which constitutes the activas plus non activas.

absinth is azeotropic!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Azeotrope

but even if a compound is not azeotropic, but can be yielded by means of distilling, evaporation means loss. for don't you see teotz, evaporation is a form of destilation.

if it could be used to carry activas, with the destilation steam, it would caryy the activas out of the evaporation vessel, just the same!!

if some gunk is still found, this material is than rather crap left over....

leonorus i found out is an other azeotropic!

i have experienced thujon, and the effects of thujon (seeing in sepia colors, bright pin ball light, srange body sence) are different than to what you people describe from absinth.

Frank, the instructions on la fee concentrate are to comply with food legislation. Without that label we would not be able to sell it as that rate is what would give you up to 10mg thujone/L. I figure most people will add according to taste anyway.

thats cool torsten, i thought this might have something to do with it. im still wondering how much others have used though. it IS strong stuff, i tasted a tiny bit and it was a bit :blink: and some spilt in my bag and i can't get rid of the damn smell...