The Corroboree
Psylo

Puritanical Madness

So now it's OK to censor art ? Christ, it's the 1950's all over again. Burn your science fiction books, destroy your lewd rock & roll albums and get back to church. Hetty is saving us from ourselves.

Sunday Telegraph - OUTRAGE ! SMUT ! SEX PERVERT !

'Why I Cant Visit Sydney' - an Open Letter

Edited by Psylo Dread

heard the name before but never seen his art "wow" thanks for the links Psylo dread ...interesting art... like to get a tatt of one of his pics

heard the name before but never seen his art "wow" thanks for the links Psylo dread ...interesting art... like to get a tatt of one of his pics

Yes, Crumb is awesome. Total sick fuck, but adults choose what they want to be exposed to. I have thought about getting a 'pinupgirl' tattoo of one his artworks

r-crumb.jpg

wimminwall.jpg

crumb_jpg_300x1000_q85.jpg

robert-crumb-culo.jpg

Poor Crumb, I'm sure he could have still come, he would have gotten plenty of support...I think he is just a little bit too sensitive. It sucks for sure. But what we are witnessing is the death throws of born again baby boomers who had their cake and now want to eat it. This new conservative bent that has popped up in recent years will die, I'm sure of it.

"nanny state" is now common terminology in living rooms around the country. Right wingers tried to censor the net - failed. Tried to keep the ban on R18 games - failed. They make a lot of noise and sometimes win a few small battles like this one, but I honestly believe they are a dying breed.

Last Sunday I visited the new exhibition at that secular shrine located just outside of Hobart known as MONA (museum of old and new art). There is stuff in their that would make Crumb blush...pure debauchery some of it. The most amazing art collection and architecture I have seen anywhere in Australia - In freaking Hobart!!!

On the way out there was a line-up about 30 meters long of people (including families) waiting to get in. On the way back home, the irony of the empty parking lots in the Churches didn't escape me and my friend. They still may pull some weight, but most of it is bluster.

Though I notice conservatism does seem stronger in NSW, QLD, SA, WA. Tassie and Vic seem to be doing ok though.

Reminds me of that kerfuffle a few years or so back of the nude photos of young-ish girls the artist said was art and everybody made a stink about.

I think his name may have been Bill Henson? He stepped on a few similar toes with his work including that same Hetty Johnson quoted in this article.

Edited by dollarjuice

Reminds me of that kerfuffle a few years or so back of the nude photos of young-ish girls the artist said was art and everybody made a stink about.

I think his name may have been Bill Henson? He stepped on a few similar toes with his work including that same Hetty Johnson quoted in this article.

Yup, it was Henson.

That is a good example of the rise of social conservatism is the last decade. Henson was doing similar work in the mid 90's. I think it was in 1996 when he became the first ever Australian artist to be included in the Venice Biennale (one of the world's biggest contemporary art fairs). He photographed naked/semi naked young teens wrapped around mangled car wrecks in junkyards.

No body said shit back then, it was just praise for an Australian artist doing amazing fucking art.

i love this one...

post-4908-0-65662200-1316333014_thumb.jp

and can relate to this one lol

post-4908-0-71259400-1316333076_thumb.jp

acid.jpg

popsketch8.jpg

acid.jpg

popsketch8.jpg

No body said shit back then, it was just praise for an Australian artist doing amazing fucking art.

Not necessarily always better times for creativity censorship. In the early 1990's, the print of Piss Christ (a crucifix submerged in urine) was vandalised in the National Gallery of Victoria. Archbishop George Pell also sought to ban the display of the artwork . Fortunately, The Supreme Court told him to fuck off.

Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres_%281987%29.jpg

I've always loved R. Crumb.

Fritz the Cat is definitely worth a watch, but it's his pen and ink stills that hold the real magic. Yep, they depict some pretty horrendous stuff, but it's really all in the name of satire. I have a coffee table book of his stuff somewhere, that has some incredible work. One cartoon (that I just tried unsuccessfully to find on the web) was a three panel job:

First panel is a guy sitting in front of the tele with a hotdog in one hand and his dick in the other having a lazy wank with a thought bubble showing him being intimate with a woman.

Second panel is the same, but the expression on his face is a little more intense and the thought bubble now shows some pretty rough sex happening.

Third panel shows him coming, while the thought bubble shows him smashing the woman's face to a pulp. The expression on his face is absolute horror.

Now, you could look at that and say it's depicting sexual violence, or you can look at it and say that it's depicting a man's moral struggle. I tend to go with the latter.

Here's a memorable scene from Fritz. The whole thing seems to be on Youtube, if anyone's interested.

Rabael, my understanding is that although Fritz was a Crumb comic in its original inception, the Fritz movie was an adaption of this. I have never been certain that the movie is animated by Crumb. The movie was written & directed by Ralph Bakshi. If you Like Fritz (the movie), you should check out a film called "Coonskin", also a Bakshi production. It's faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar out, man. I would suggest a big smoke before you hit the play button.

Edited: shocking typos

Edited by Psylo Dread

Coonskin looks great. The end scene of that clip reminded me a lot of the Garden of Eden scene from Allegro Non Troppo.

Allegro non troppo is excellent. The coke bottle.

Crumb is great along with sheldons fabulous furry freak brothers. Crumb didn't animate fritz the cat.

Anyone remember captain goodvibes?

Not only did Crumb not animate Fritz, he went further and cut all ties with the movie, so deep was his hate for it.

Well I liked his comics at the time, when younger.

Poor Crumb got grabed the brabboids [police]for tax evasion [bogus charge].

Well after 15 years after the comics were printed.

Well if vietnam taught anything its that if the hippies were not part of the war party the state was get payback.

[might be a commie if smoked pot and didn't volunteer for dudy so must be compelled -drafted [a lottery number, mine was 300 out of 312 so lucky there.]58,000 dead draftees]

So illegalize marijuana that will learn the generation of pacifist commie directed fucks noy volunteer for a war[58,000 dead draftees].

Also radio and Tv were and still are controlled.

The point is just how much control is there over radio and TV.

Cheech and [ Chong.

6 months for selling bongs in the mail..

Still happening, so America leadership is still at war and probably would give amnesty [leagal cleanings]to whoever would join the military.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Checkered_Demon

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._Clay_Wilson

[brain injury

On November 8, 2008, Wilson suffered a severe brain injury.[1] After attending the Alternative Press Expo in San Francisco and drinking throughout the day, Wilson left the house of a friend and was found by two passersby, face down and unconscious between parked cars. Among his injuries were a fractured neck; it is not known if he was assaulted or passed out.[2]

After a week in intensive care, Wilson was put on an accelerated therapy program, but still showed major difficulty in summoning words, a common form of aphasia following a trauma of this sort.[3] He had recovered enough to write his own signature in the first week of December, but continued to require hospitalization as of the end of December 2008,[4] when a benefit was held to assist with his medical costs.[5] Another benefit was held in Hollywood in March 2009. Wilson returned home in November 2009, able to draw well and speak a little but still requiring special]

care.[6]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a motorcycle accident?.

Not only did Crumb not animate Fritz, he went further and cut all ties with the movie, so deep was his hate for it.

Geez... interesting to know. Won't be plugging Fritz in the name of Crumb no more (although I still dig the movie)