The Corroboree
Psylo

Anyone been to Indonesia ?

Having travelled annualy for the past four years,I is disapointing that I won't be able to leave Oz in 2011. Life goes on, but I'm stinging to orgnise something for early 2012.

I enjoy the diversity Asian countries, and the airfare is cheap, so I think next year I will go to one of the Indonesian islands.

Does anyone here have recommendations? I figure forum member's opinions are more alignedwith my expettions thn gucci luggage travellers who pollute the internet ( and Asian tourist hotspots).

I should start by saying that Bali is very low on my list, and Kuta is OUT, unless we need to use it as a commuter hub only. Lombok sounds lovely, but my concern is that the Indo Govt are pushing the destination hard as the next go-to place. And when everyone wants to go chilled out at the same place, well it ends up like an Irish pub on St Patricks Day.

What I basically want this holiday is a few lazy beach townships, access to non-rocky surfing beaches and somewhere to snorkel. Happy to stay inland if there's ample motorbike pillion opportunities with the local boys. Somewhere without the resort set wandering around shopping for 'antiques'. Basic accommodation for us is preferred, not so much for the $ savings, but just to reconnect with a simple life, if only for a month.

I'm also keeping my eye on the DFAT/Smart Traveller warnings, and so far so good, they are listing Indonesia as high risk for travel. Hopefully that's going to mean less tourists for me to deal with. As you might gather, Psylo isn't happy with tourism in his face (yes, ironic, given this topic) and would rather eat at a workers roadside diner munching on BBQ'd boars rectum & bats legs than a tacky 'themed authentic' western interest venue serving nachos & pizza. Fortunately, my lady is of exactly the same opinion, so no need for creature comforts expected of others before us.

So... Lombok, or elsewhere on one of the 13,000 islands of Indonesia ? Even if we need to take a leaky boat out to sea from Bali to get remote, it would be good to avoid the international stampede.

Ubud is very nice

Gili Meno off the coast of Lombok is great for beaches, snorkelling, fishing, meeting locals and mycology. bbq'd cod and palm wine around a beach bon fire... fucking amazing.

would rather eat at a workers roadside diner munching on BBQ'd boars rectum & bats legs than a tacky 'themed authentic' western interest venue serving nachos & pizza.

Word to that.

I'm heading to Indo in April next year, but have to take a group of people for work so it's going to be far from my ideal trip. Haven't planned an itinerary yet, but I get the feeling I won't be too popular if I take the group out for BBQ'd boars rectum.

Also, I'm a vege, so the actual rectum doesn't appeal too much but street food is the bomb. I can't stand travelling to a place filled with fat, inconsiderate caucasians who demand everything to be chilli free. :BANGHEAD2:

Edited by Rabaelthazar

Aceh sounds like what you're looking for - Air Asia X fly there from Kuala Lumpur if you can get there first (I'm sure there are plenty of other flight options....that's just the one I know of off the top of my head)

Bit more of a mission than Lombok but probably more what you're after - Lombok is on our side of the "Wallace Line" meaning that it's less like tropical Asia and more like Australia - I haven't been there but even the travel guides will tell you the climate and terrain are different to next-door-neighbour Bali.

Java is very Muslim - nothing negative about that but unless you're in Jakarta or Yogyakarta there is hardly any English and the mood is very plain. I'd imagine Aceh is the same for English so I'd Google Aceh Surfari's and they'd probably hook you up with English speaking transport etc - some parts of Indonesia don't even speak their own national language - only local dialects.

For what it's worth - don't be a hater ;) - despite the tourists Bali is the popular Indonesian destination for a reason and if you head to the north of the island it's like your somewhere else anyway... Kuta is fun regardless and worth checking out for a day or 2 if you're in the neighbourhood, it's alive! - otherwise I'd say Aceh but without proper planning you and your crew will be shitting in festy toilets that don't flush and getting smashed by mosquitoes constantly with most people around you not being able to talk english... nothing wrong with any of that just know what you're up for - research, find the right accommodation, the right transport and then you might just find what you're after - otherwise go to the north of Bali... English, easy to organise, easier to get to, cheapish...

Just an Indonesian addicts 2 cents ;)

I like surfing so,.. I would love to go there myself one day........but the non surfing GF would have to have some fun too,... so I would definately go to the more remote regions. Sumbawa,... sumba.... hiking/nature/culture/food.....relaxation,... and good surf!

Sulawesi and borneo must have allot of nature too offer,.. no surf there though. Sulawesi is a top diving destination.

good place to convert to islam. (As I wrote this the 2nd plane crashed in the 2nd tower on history channel) booooom jiiiiihaaaaaad! ala akbar...... damn those fuggin extremists!

Java is very Muslim

there is hardly any English

These matters don't concern me

Kuta is fun regardless and worth checking out for a day or 2 if you're in the neighbourhood, it's alive!

No chance in hell I'm staying in Kuta. It's not just the abundance of tourists, but also the local's perception that often changes when a place is inundated by tourists. Most of Thailand is an example of that. It should be said that I don't begrudge others enjoying this pocket (Kuta) of Indonesia, everyone has their own ideas of a good place to getaway.

The North Coast of Bali looks OK though. What is the state of the coral reefs, do you know ?

These matters don't concern me

No chance in hell I'm staying in Kuta. It's not just the abundance of tourists, but also the local's perception that often changes when a place is inundated by tourists. Most of Thailand is an example of that. It should be said that I don't begrudge others enjoying this pocket (Kuta) of Indonesia, everyone has their own ideas of a good place to getaway.

The North Coast of Bali looks OK though. What is the state of the coral reefs, do you know ?

Pulau Menjangan off the north coast has good coral reefs I'm told, not much surf up that way though.

Aceh is likely the most Muslim place in Indonesia it has Sharia law

Lombok and the eastern Islands with surf eg Sumbawa also very muslim and in my experience don't offer much beyond waves and the likelyhood of being robbed. If you are travelling with a woman be aware of islamic notions of modesty, many of these crew are not very tolerant.

I'd say most places with a surf the locals are well aware of tourism and the potential pot of gold, Balinese, by and large, at least have a more realistic expectation of what they can extract from you, than the outer island people. I wouldn't write off Bali you will likely have to check it all out and make your own decisions. The tropical secluded beach with perfect waves is mostly a thing of the past but good luck in your quest.

Bali has its tourist traps fa sure but still a good destination, I'm biased perhaps, I live there. Far from Kuta.

I'm ashamed to say I've never been diving in Bali - or anywhere for that matter . A mate was looking into it once an came to the conclusion anywhere down south was crap and the best diving in Bali was a fair way up the east coast or across the north of the island... wayanx might be able to confirm or deny that?

For the above ground stuff the National Park in the north west is pretty crap, vegetation is dry and boring and if you're lucky you see a rare monkey or two that piss off pretty quick when they hear/see you BUT there's no one out there and you can stop at a beach or two where you can look across at Java - The boat ride across lake Batur to a village where they leave their dead villagers in tree trunks and out in the open (which sounds pretty interesting when you read about it!) is a rip off and you get hassled a bit... Depends how long you're their to establish friendlier contacts, you can find cheap everything if you've got time...

If you do make it over - Mt Bromo on the South Western tip of Java is pretty cool just a ferry and bus ride away - still active and smoking and you see the sunrise over it, ride some horses round the base and see some crazy holy men running down the hill naked :o ... But be warned the tourists get there too!

Overall I didn't sell it to ya much - told you the bad things really but it's still worth going at least once...

EDIT: my next trip there will likely be Komodo - to see the dragons in the wild... that has to be crossed of my to do list!

Edited by Undercover Hippie

fuck bali get out asap if u go... i just got back from thailand and imo thailand shiiits on indo :innocent_n: , but if you gotta go check lombok, jakarta for nightlife and sumatra for jungle ... i think there was a rainbow festival in bali recently so do a search online maybe some international trance dj playin some where of course it all depends on what your into...

I'm not a diver but done a bit of snorkeling, mostly down south is pretty crap,maybe Nusa Lembongan is good, though the surf is all onto coral. Some good snorkeling on the Gilies off Lombok but at least Gili Trawangan will be busy with tourists but I remember it as great snorkeling and it was much quieter when I was there. Lombok is one of my least favourite places, entirely due to uptight, avaricious, lecherous locals ( of course this has nothing to do with their religion) but that is only my experience other people seem to like it.

I have seen those dragons in the wild on Komodo, its worth it once at least, you look at them, they look at you and you know what it feels like to be on the menu, not the spot for lazing on the beach.

Bali is tolerant, there are quiet spots, though if there is a surf it is likely not quiet. Where ever you are even in the midst of tourist spots a relative few steps in the right direction will take you to the true Bali, you just have to find the direction to step in.

fuck bali get out asap if u go... i just got back from thailand and imo thailand shiiits on indo :innocent_n: , but if you gotta go check lombok, jakarta for nightlife and sumatra for jungle ... i think there was a rainbow festival in bali recently so do a search online maybe some international trance dj playin some where of course it all depends on what your into...

No Thailand for us.

Where ever you are even in the midst of tourist spots a relative few steps in the right direction will take you to the true Bali, you just have to find the direction to step in.

I can very much appreciate those words, having found myself often in a 'different' experience, especially when you strike up a friendship with locals. Perhaps my perception of Bali is unfounded after all.

It seems that the island of Bali is so small that travelling between locations, or even offshore to another island, is achievable. Looking at the town of Amed, it appears to be pretty laid back, and the waters have lots of stingrays to swim with (which would be so fucking cool). The township appears quite chilled out and unpopulated by tourists, and accommodation on the beach can be scored for $40 per night.

What's the snorkeling like off the shore of Padang Bai? I can already see a path that might be cool. Out of Denpasar, on to Padang Bai, up to Amed / Tulamben area, across the north coast, then road trip inland back down between the volcanos on the way home, staying for a couple of nights in *ugh* Kuta before flying home

Edited by Psylo Dread

i actually loved jakarta! once i got over my paranoia.

the food there is fucking sensational. food from street vendors even better. i fell in love with soto ayam! have tried to replicate it here but its never the same.i fell for the ladys big time as well, however be careful in nightclubs as u find most are actually hookers and after ur wallet. i did meet some fantastically cool and funny chicks and still keep in contact. IMO indo girls are by far the hottest on earth. they r only rivalled by the food. actually id take the soto ayam any day.

the live music is awesome, the indos are freakishly talented musos.

by far jakarta was my fav on my indo travels. its just so hectic it blew my mind, so so cheap. try and get to markets if u can. and buy the food of the oldest grannys u can find. the food there must be experienced to be believed.

Don't forget to go listening to gamelan ! There are many different styles (my favorite is the mysterious javanese), it is definitively one of the things that came only from indonesia...very addictive music !

Having travelled annualy for the past four years,I is disapointing that I won't be able to leave Oz in 2011. Life goes on, but I'm stinging to orgnise something for early 2012.

I enjoy the diversity Asian countries, and the airfare is cheap, so I think next year I will go to one of the Indonesian islands.

Does anyone here have recommendations? I figure forum member's opinions are more alignedwith my expettions thn gucci luggage travellers who pollute the internet ( and Asian tourist hotspots).

I should start by saying that Bali is very low on my list, and Kuta is OUT, unless we need to use it as a commuter hub only. Lombok sounds lovely, but my concern is that the Indo Govt are pushing the destination hard as the next go-to place. And when everyone wants to go chilled out at the same place, well it ends up like an Irish pub on St Patricks Day.

What I basically want this holiday is a few lazy beach townships, access to non-rocky surfing beaches and somewhere to snorkel. Happy to stay inland if there's ample motorbike pillion opportunities with the local boys. Somewhere without the resort set wandering around shopping for 'antiques'. Basic accommodation for us is preferred, not so much for the $ savings, but just to reconnect with a simple life, if only for a month.

I'm also keeping my eye on the DFAT/Smart Traveller warnings, and so far so good, they are listing Indonesia as high risk for travel. Hopefully that's going to mean less tourists for me to deal with. As you might gather, Psylo isn't happy with tourism in his face (yes, ironic, given this topic) and would rather eat at a workers roadside diner munching on BBQ'd boars rectum & bats legs than a tacky 'themed authentic' western interest venue serving nachos & pizza. Fortunately, my lady is of exactly the same opinion, so no need for creature comforts expected of others before us.

So... Lombok, or elsewhere on one of the 13,000 islands of Indonesia ? Even if we need to take a leaky boat out to sea from Bali to get remote, it would be good to avoid the international stampede.

Have you ever checked out the andaman islands ? Its actually a union territory of india, but is just north of indonesia.

One of the most remote spots on the planet. The original inhabitants are a bunch of aboriginal tribes who exist more or less out of the mainstream. There are some tribes who have had no contact whatsoever with the rest of the world. Of nearly 600 islands, only 9 are open to foreign tourists, and all of these are in the Andamans

Insane surf, unspoilt by tourism, very friendly locals, paradise really ! At least have a look psylo, sounds like just what your after :)

What were you paranoid about ?

Sounds like you had a blast, and yea, the street food in asian cities is spectacular - I have a soft spot in my heart fo Kuala Lumpur, amd a few locals-only hawker joints. Can taste my favourite lemon chicken now ! But alas, I won't be going to Jakarta for next years holiday. I'm very keen on staying out of major cities. Your excitement is noted for future journeys though !

Have you ever checked out the andaman islands ? Its actually a union territory of india, but is just north of indonesia.

One of the most remote spots on the planet. The original inhabitants are a bunch of aboriginal tribes who exist more or less out of the mainstream. There are some tribes who have had no contact whatsoever with the rest of the world. Of nearly 600 islands, only 9 are open to foreign tourists, and all of these are in the Andamans

Insane surf, unspoilt by tourism, very friendly locals, paradise really ! At least have a look psylo, sounds like just what your after :)

Fuck yes ! I have checked it out, and almost went there in 2010, but it never transpired. The Andamans (and Nicobar?) are controlled with tourist numbers from memory, with some government 'sports' authority issuing permits.

But..... it's not Indonesia :) So many places to go, so little money LOL.

be afraid be very afraid lol... make a friend and pay him well, he will take care of your needs...thats if im on the same page incog ,

but i do have to disagree with indo chicks being the hottest .... thais / laotion have em beat mmm imo.... and vietnamese raarooar :devil:

Yeah Bali is small but travel is slow, much slower than Aus.

Padang Bai ....A friend used often to go to the Blue Lagoon slightly east of Padang Bai for snorkeling he said it was good, Padang Bai snorkeling didnt impress me that much except for the reef sharks.

That eastern bit of Bali.. Karangasem... has the most amazing a-capala social music form called genyek usually goes with tuak. rough palm "wine" catch it if you can.