The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Roopey

Music and Entheogens

So I was thinking about it, and wanted to know your opinions as well.

Music has changed my life, and I can safely assume that it has impacted yours in a profound way as well. I'm a bass player myself, and when I pick up a bass I enter into states of awareness that I would never have been able to tap into without it. The way that music can move you, and change your patterns and habits into constructive forces for yourself and for the others around you is truly incredible. Depending on the music of course. Some music can do the opposite, move you to become a horribly destructive force that harms everything in it's wake. Music is programming. The more you listen to a song, and it's vibrations, the more you begin to resonate with it. So the question, of course, then becomes what music will I choose to influence me? What beautiful symbolism do I want to meld with every ounce of my being?

Chanting is the mother of language and the grandmother of song. The vibrational patterns of specific chants can change the persons chanting vibrations and the entire environment around them. Understanding how language in our modern society, specifically English, is a reversal and complete butcher of the sacred languages that were taught to us by the plants and the spirits, is integral in breaking free from a huge level of the prison that is our cancerous modern world. The use of influential vibrations are everywhere in our society, but since we are mostly unaware of it, it influences us in unseen ways. The subliminality of these influences, and our refusal to accept them, has led to a few people taking advantage of a mass populace, by use of radio, television, and a plethora of other bombarding tactics.

Now, this is all obvious, especially to those who look. My point is, some music has helped me not only to understand all this, but much more as well. Tool, for instance, is a band that has lyrics that is one of the most amazingly descriptive guides for taking entheogenic substances and for reconnecting with the Earth, the Sun, the Moon, and especially your Self. I have listened to Tool for years now, and have used their lyrics as daily mantras for some time as well, and I couldn't even begin to explain the changes that have developed in the sense of my Self and my Reality.

Of course other bands have influenced me in constructive ways as well, for instance, Shpongle (If you haven't heard these guys, check them out!), Gregorian Chant, Black Sabbath, Rush, Mudvagne (L.D.50), Disturbed (Believe), Meshuggah, but none so much as Tool.

So, what bands, or music has influenced you in profound ways, and have helped you on your journey?

Edited by Roopey
  • Like 1

I like my tunage epic, psychedelic, progressive, dynamic, evocative, sonically and musically varied and interesting. Music speaks without words, each scale and genre is a different musical language, nature however is the master composer (birds, insects, water, wind etc).

I'll limit my list to 10, but it could have been 100 easily...

Cardiacs

Alchemist

Fredrik Thordendals Special Defects

Meshuggah

Mr Bungle

Pink Floyd

Gentle Giant

Ozric Tentacles

Secret Chiefs 3

Spastic Ink

Hey Roopey, can definately understand your love of Tool and Shpongle. Big fan also.

Have you heard of a band called Baroness? Red album is my favourite.

Old Melvins stuff is pretty good and for raw rock, Iggy and the Stooges.

I did write a big rant about how we let music effect us as apposed to it finding and controlling us to the point of destruction, but then remembered how Acid Jazz and Frank Zappa(I know this may offend some) irritate me so much it transmografies me into even greater a prick to be around. Point proven! :D

Peace!

Boards.

Stooges? As great as Funhouse is, I don't know if I'd want to listen to it tripping! :lol:

It is far-out though, about as close to barely controlled cosmic chaos as you can go.

Best experience for me has been discovering the Master Musicians of Jajouka, 1st brought to western ears by Brian Jones of the Rolling Stones. The Stones often talk about "weaving" & the Jajoukains "weave" better than anybody and have been doing it for thousands of years. This weaving becomes very apparent in altered states, it's so intricate, all the vocals, chants & instruments working together - it's like a musical tapestry which at times can become visual.

They have been called the 1st rock'n'roll band & I'm inclined to agree.

Re Boards - Boards of Cananda presumably.

Edited by strangebrew

Re Boards - Boards of Cananda presumably.

Yeah. :P

Didn't mean to seem elitist or anything, but more to show that my admiration for BoC wipes any other connotation or meaning from the word 'boards' away.

Nice post Roopey I can relate to your perspective & as it so happens used to play bass, but got lazy & sold my Ibanez a few yrs back to fund other interests.

I personally find ambient, chill out, world music & psychedelic rock to be most influential for creative purposes (illustration / design) gives me enough space to explore my imagination, but still leads me along a certain direction.

Here are some of my favorite artist of those genres.

Aes Dana

Solar Fields

H.U.V.A. Network

Vibrasphere

Shulman

Androcell

Entheogenic

Shakatura

The Peaking Goddess Collective

Papadosio

Tame Impla

If These Trees Could Talk

Mystical Sun

Carbon Based Lifeforms

Kaya Project

Mental Extensions

Kukan Dub Lagan

Kuba

Bluetech

Kick Bong

Hoopy Frood

Ephemeral Mists

Enigma

Digital Mystery Tour

Asura

Phobium

Mahiane

Chemical brothers

Crystal Method

Aphex Twin

Electrypnose (his ambient works)

& Shpongle (as mentioned above)

I also listen to allot of psytrance, prog psy, electro, breakbeat, GOA, electro house & trance when in psychedelic states of mind, but find myself listening to more classic rock instrumental & heavy metal on the occasions when alcohol plays a part.

I'll link some more stuff later, cbf atm, all this talk of music is making me cone thirsty, time to listen to some of the new commercially unreleased Electrypnose I acquired :)

Peace,

AF

Edit: Almost forgot, a very unheard ambient artist "Kim aka. Naturd" his song "

" is amazing, plus a few other cool track you can check out here. Edited by Ambient Forest

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I've been slowly working my way through the lists you guys posted.

Fredrik Thordendals Special Defects was definitely an experience and a half, but good.

Baroness has great musicians in it, I didn't care much for the vocals though.

Aes Dana was a great listen, and will definitely be picking up some of their CDs to listen to in the car. Very relaxing and trance inducing.

I'll keep working my way through the lists but those are the one's that really stuck out at me though. Thanks again guys, and more lists and opinions are definitely welcome!

Liking alot of the suggestions seen on here :)

I could make a epic list, but there's one band that I've been loving lately and that's art vs science! So bouncy and I can't help but feel awesome while listening to em!