The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Camphor

Teotz, this is the point that Torsten is referring to.

Always start with a dose 1/100th of what you expect to be active.

Oh ok I see what your saying, yeah good point. So take like 1mg and wait 12 hours to make sure I'm not allergic or hypersensitive? This is very good advice, thanks!

I ate one drop of the oil....

It says 100% C. camphora oil.

Fuck... It says "Extraction Method- Fractional distillation of crude decamphoroized oil"

WTF that does that mean? It don't sound good...

hehe should I say anything...?

Yeah please do.

Does that mean it has no real Camphor in it? Oh well fuck the oil, I got the pure granules coming in today.

Yeah so no Camphor huh? WTF I'm getting my money back!

Got the granules tho....

Finally got the Camphor granules.... this shit looks scary. I'm afraid to use it.

Can I actually get a good sedative high off this or am I gonna end up just poisoning myself?

Last night I stuck my finger in the bag and licked it... so I did my 1/100th dosage and nothing happened (no allergic reactions, etc.), I think today I'm going to take 100-200mg orally.

250mg was sucked on and spat out when half dissolved (I got worried it was too much).

I'll keep ya updated.

10 minutes into it now.

Holy shit this stuff is flammable as fuck!

I don't feel a damn thing off of 100-200mg, not yet at least.

A buddy took .5g (500mg) at 5pm. He also took a tylenol which he didn't tell me about until afterwards...

I asked if it was pure, natural and organic and this is their response-

Thank you for your email. Camphor is not intended to be used internally.

Here are notes from the manufacturer, and I would recommend following their safety notes.

Botanical Name: Cinnamomum camphora

Safety Notes: Keep out of the reach of children. In case of ingestion contact a poison control center immediately. For external use only if properly diluted.

Keep out of reach of children. In case of ingestion contact a poison control center immediately. For external use only if properly diluted.

Origin: China

Processing Notes: Our all natural camphor granules are derived from the camphor tree, Cinnamomum camphora. The camphor is obtained by steam distillation of the wood (trunk, roots and branches) and then purified through sublimation.

Common Name: Camphor

As far as the purity, Frontier is an amazing company, and they take seriously their herbs and spice manufacturing. They source only the purest, most natural and potent ingredients. I have personally toured their facility and worked with them for years. Their commitment to quality is incomparable. This particular item is not certified organic (would be labeled as such if it was), but if you purchase Frontier products you can be assured that the fewest, most natural ingredients are used, that is their standard.

Camphor is not to be used internally. We cannot recommend this at all, it's not safe. Traditionally, Camphor has been used in balms and salves medicinally, and topically, but you would have to research that further on your own to determine what is best for your situation.

Please let me know if there's anything else I can help you with!

Warmly,

Catherine

EarthParents

Eh... from China? That doesn't make me feel good, but as far as I can tell this Camphor should be legit and safe to use (as far as adulterants and such go).

"Purified through sublimation"... what does that mean?

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Hey Teotzlcoatl, as far as the steam distillation and sublimation both go if done using clean equipment involve no chemicals apart form water for the steam distillation.

As far as sublimation goes in simple terms it is a process of purification from a impure solid to a pure solid without chemical or solvents, think of it like distillation of a solid. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sublimation_(phase_transition)

cheers

J.

Well my dose of 100-200mg was worthless but my buddy felt some mild to moderate effects on 500mg but nothing extreme.

Should I push it further and try 600mg or 700mg?

I've decided to wait an entire 48 hours before dosing again, so it won't be tonight.

I'll probably just try 400-500mg myself before a higher dosage however.

Is it safe to mix with other drugs? Opiates? Alcohol? Kratom? Or does it effect the liver and kidneys in a way that it should not be taken with other drugs?

I've heard the compounds in Camphor are similar to the Thujone in Absinthe, is this true?

From Wiki-

This type of camphor, the processed white crystalline kind, is also sold at Indian grocery stores. It is not suitable for cooking, however, and is hazardous to health if eaten.

I'm really worried about the type of Camphor I have... can anybody give me some feedback? Should I stop using this stuff?

It sounds like it is natural and steam distilled from trees in China, so that should be ok right? But it IS white and crystalline that's for sure, but I thought the edible kind was too???

Premanand also showed us how you can keep a piece of flaming camphor in your mouth (the kind used to keep insects away from your clothes) or toss it from one hand to the other without damage. “In 1977,” Premanand told us, “a film artist of Kerala published an article challenging me to burn camphor on the hand and wave it before the idol in the temple. He said that his godman, Swami Satyananda Saraswathi, the International President of Vishwa Hindu Parishad, burns camphor on his hand and waves it before the idol of Shri Rama in his temple. This was considered to be a miracle. I told him that this stunt can be done by children of five. And in the end they even eat the fire. If this godman really has supernatural powers let him keep the camphor in his beard, light it, and wave it before the idol without getting his beard singed. The godman did not accept the challenge.”

For these demonstrations you need a large camphor cube (pure, not synthetic) and a match box. Hold the camphor cube between the thumb and index finger and light it. You can keep the burning camphor on the palm of your hand as long as it never remains on the same place but is moved about on the palm as you wave your hand. When the palm gets hot transfer the camphor to the other hand and wave it as before. Later, when both the hands have absorbed enough heat and might burn, place the burning camphor on your tongue. When you feel the tongue getting hot, blow out the fire by breathing out, or close your mouth and the fire will get extinguished by itself.

http://www.csicop.org/si/show/dont_try_this_at_home/

I can hold it while it's burning...

Sounds like this stuff is endless fun ;) [time for some youtube clips!!]

The definition of toxic or edible depends on the country you are in. In most western countries camphor is regarded as toxic. In asian countries it is not, or at least they draw a different line and honour the principle of that even the most bening substance can be toxic if consumed in a large enough quantity. There are a lot of flavours in Indian cuisine that contain camphor from various herbs, so small amount are obviously quite safe. The big problem with camphor is that the difference between an effective dose and a fatal dose is not that great. In the west we generally regard drugs that have an LD50 at 10 times the effective dose as safe, but anything much below this is regarded as toxic in a sliding scale. With camphor the factor is something like 4, so it is not vry safe. Then again Nicotine and betel nut is around about that too I think.

I have been trying to get time at work to formulate a response :) but I think Torsten has covered it quite well. One thing I did want to say is that the cooking camphor and the camphor you have come from the same natural origins, the difference lies with the processing, separation, purification and concentration that go into making the pure camphor you have. Whereas the edible camphor is a crude extract with a much lower percentage of camphor.

J.

So do you think mine is still ok to use internally? About 3 people have tried it was no adverse effects at doses up to 500mg...

Ocimum kilimandscharicum, a type of Basil apparently has a good bit of Camphor in it! I'd like to grow it.

I still haven't taken my 500mg dose. I'm worried about this stuff and haven't gotten much feedback....

Sorry Teotzlcoatl meant to reply but thought someone else would give more experienced advice. Purely based on literature the minimal positive pharmacodynamics of camphor seem to be outweighed by the potential risks. There are a lot more safer natural inebriants / sedatives out there. This is only a personal opinion based purely on zero experience.

Hope others can add more advice hopefully from experience etc.

Cheers

J.