The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
Teotzlcoatl

Camphor

A friend just got some Camphor granules and oil. They are 100% C. camphora.

She was planning to use it as a sleep-sedative like Van Gogh did (before he went batshit crazy).

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

I'm in the U.S.A. by the way and it's totally legal here!

HA! :)

What is it good for?

in the last 100 years its really made the economy strong in some areas :)

lol, hows that for a bad answer...i have no idea how you may want to use the stuff.

I was planning to use it as a sleep-sedative like Van Gogh did (before he went batshit crazy).

maybe you can rub the oil onto your body, and hope that this oil contains still some precious fractions.

i would never ingest or pyrolise it.

kada ask you a good question, re quoting youreselfe did not answere it.

I'm confused....

Here is a video on Camphor -

Does anybody know if it can be used as a sedative? Is it psychoactive?

Camphor is an inebriant and was the drug of choice by the elite until ether came along. That in itself probably explains a little about the kind of effect to expect - sedation with inebriation and vertigo [ie nausea].

I really don't know much about it, so please do your own research. I think raetsch has a paragraph on it. I distinctly remember that it was the pure camphor that is used though, not the oil. The oil is only about 50% camphor, so you need to crystallise the pure camphor out of this or distill it. if you ahve pure camphor crystals purchased from elsewhere please make sure it is indeed pure camphor. If it is pesticide grade then it may well be mixed with napthalene or other bug repellents which may well be fatal for humans in such quantities. Crystallising your own from certified pure camphor oil is probably safer.

For sedative effect it was ingested in small pellets. Don't know the quantity, sorry. I think it would probably be quite nasty on way down so gel caps might be a good idea.

If you are going to experiment, please follow a few rules.

*) Post about your plans here in detail so others can warn you if you are heading down the wrong way.

*) Make sure you write everything down before you do it. Even if you have a sitter present. Sitters often forget the crucial details in stress situations, but hopefully they won't forget the fact it is written down.

*) If you don't have a sitter present, make sure to have at least someone nearby who can ring an ambulance or drive you to hospital. If this person is not aware of what you are doing then tie a card around your neck advising them of the details or of the direction to the note that has the details, eg "I've ingested something - see note on desk".

*) On the note make sure to remove ambiguities for the ER personell. eg, explain that the camphor is indeed pure camphor derived from C.camphora and not a camphor substitute. Explain the purpose of why you ingested [eg, "this is a pharmacological experiment, not a suicide"]. Give exact dosage and purity, and actual local time. Local time is important because even though you might know that "T = 00.10" means you took it 10 minutes ago, the ER staff will think it means 10 past midnight.

*) Always start with a dose 1/100th of what you expect to be active. Never redose on same day. Keep in mind that going up by a factor of 10 can be too fast. eg 10 times an active dose can often be a fatal dose.

• Like 1

....and Torsten comes in and tells me everything I wanted to know! :)

Thanks Torsten!

Why is info on the psychoactive usage of Camphor so hard to find? Even Snu's Garden of Eden has very little on the subject!

I really don't know much about it, so please do your own research. I think raetsch has a paragraph on it. I distinctly remember that it was the pure camphor that is used though, not the oil. The oil is only about 50% camphor, so you need to crystallise the pure camphor out of this or distill it.

Got both.

http://www.amazon.com/Frontier-Bulk-Camphor-Granules-package/dp/B0012BSJ2M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314978634&sr=8-1

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Damn this shit sounds really dangerous....

I was just planning on sniffing it, will that work? I donno about ingesting it.

I read a thing that said they use 3 granules of Camphor in warm milk in India for a sleep-aid.

Camphor is an inebriant and was the drug of choice by the elite until ether came along. That in itself probably explains a little about the kind of effect to expect - sedation with inebriation and vertigo [ie nausea].

The elite where? I'm thinking like Colonial people when I read that. Why is ether better? Can you describe the effects of both? This shit isn't gonna fry my brain is it? I always worry about those violate compounds that catch on fire and shit (like alcohol and camphor).

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Damn this shit sounds really dangerous....

yes, it is. Then again, it was widely used without a great deal of accidents, so probably not too nad if you know what you're doing.

I was just planning on sniffing it, will that work? I donno about ingesting it.

I doubt sniffing will work for anythign other than clearning your sinuses ;)

I read a thing that said they use 3 granules of Camphor in warm milk in India for a sleep-aid.

Are you sure it said 'granules' rather than 'grains'. A grain is a standard unit of measurement in some colonial system, being about 65mg. I am sure google has a conversion table. If it says grains and you can accurately weigh your dose, then that reference is probably a good one to start with.

The elite where?

I am doing all of this from memory, but I think it was a european past time in the aristocracy. ie those who could afford to be debaucherous.

This shit isn't gonna fry my brain is it?

Probably a little. Single doses probably won't do much harm, but I wouldn't get hooked on it.

Ether is quite pleasant. It has a sweet taste and doesn't last long. That makes it easy to repeatedly dose to get just the level of inebriation you want. I think ether can be quite addictive. Good thing it was pretty hard to get for most of my decadent years, cos every time I got some I pretty much used it till it was all gone. Then again, one of my last sessions a friend and I overdid it so badly we puked for hours and that's cured me from my attachment to ether. I still get warm fuzzy feelings when I come across the smell though [followed soon after by that sinking feeling in the stomach].

Damn, you got me interested again in both ether and camphor now.

edit: Toxic dose of camphor for an adult is 2g. Fatal dose is about 4g. Fatal dose for a child is 1g.

Assuming that 3 grains is a sedative dose and that's about 200mg, then that is still only 1/10th of a toxic dose. So plenty of room to play around with.

one source I looked up (ayurveda) says camphor dose is 1-2 ratti taken with milk

1 ratti = 120mg

but those texts are riddled with typos

it warns of vomitting, dizziness, convulsions, coma & death

You might find this interesting:

Paregoric (camphorated tincture of opium)

:)

from The Eclectic Materia Medica, Pharmacology and Therapeutics, 1922 by Harvey Wickes Felter, M.D.

Camphor

Edited by coin

Hell yeah, I want some of that Paregoric stuff!

http://www.inchem.org/documents/pims/pharm/camphor.htm

7. PHARMACOLOGY AND TOXICOLOGY

7.1 Mode of action

7.1.1 Toxicodynamics

Camphor is a CNS stimulant whose effects range from mild

excitation to grand-mal convulsions or status

epilepticus. These effects result from excitation of

the cerebrum and lower structures of the CNS.

Gastric irritation, together with cortical and medullary

stimulation, frequently causes vomiting and diarrhoea.

It is not clear whether camphor toxicity is due to the

parent compound, a metabolite (secondary alcohols,

including borneol and isomers of hydroxy-camphor), or

both (Kresel, 1982).

7.1.2 Pharmacodynamics

Camphor is used exclusively because of its local

effects. When rubbed on the skin, it acts as a

rubefacient and causes localized vasodilatation

(mediated by way of an axon reflex), which gives

feelings of comfort and warmth.

As an anti-pruritic gent, when applied gently on the

skin, it may create a feeling of coolness, and a mild,

local anaesthetic effect, which may be followed by

numbness.

When ingested in small amounts, it creates feelings of

warmth and comfort in the stomach, but given in large

doses it acts as an irritant (Goodman et al 1985).

7.2 Toxicity

7.2.1 Human data

7.2.1.1 Adults

The probable oral lethal dose is 50 to 500

mg/kg. A dose of 2 g generally causes toxic

effects in adults. The potential lethal oral

dose in adults is 4 g pure camphor.

7.2.1.2 Children

The lethal dose for children is estimated to be

0.5 to 1.0 g (Siegel & Wason, 1986); for infants,

the oral LDLo is 70 mg/kg.

7.2.2 Relevant animal data

Species Route Effect Dose mg/kg

Rat Intraperitoneal LDLo 900

Mouse Intraperitoneal LD50 3000

Mouse Subcutaneous LDLo 2200

Dog Oral LDLo 800

Cat Intraperitoneal LDLo 400

Rabbit Oral LDLo 2000

Frog Subcutaneous LDLo 240

Guinea-pig Oral LDLo 1800

7.2.3 Relevant in vitro data

Not relevant.

7.3 Carcinogenicity

Carcinogenicity tests have been negative.

7.4 Teratogenicity

No data available.

7.5 Mutagenicity

Not mutagenic with the Ames test.

7.6 Interactions

Oils, alcohols, and fats promote gastrointestinal absorption.

Although vaseline oil has been used for gastric

decontamination, its use is controversial.

7.7 Main adverse effects

There have been reports of instant collapse in infants after

camphor has been applied to their nostrils (Reynolds, 1982).

So I shouldn't take more than like 500mg at once right?

I think I'll start with 100mg.

Just to make sure I don't kill myself half a gram is five hundred milligrams, correct?

.5 gram = 500 milligrams, right?

....and 1g = 1000mg, right?

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

I was very prone to bronchitis as a child, constants colds etc I'm told.

I wore a bag of camphor around my neck (recommended by ?) which apparenttly was very effective.

This was up until I was three or four, so ave few recollections myself.

just FWIW

ed

sigh :BANGHEAD2:

lots of very useful info posted. if you are not 2000% sure about how to even measure mg/g then maybe you want to avoid such a risky venture....T posted some useful info and good ref links, read them up and absorb them before ordering the camphor. i really dont want to be reading this thread in 10 years and see below your screen name "Last seen 10 years ago", if you know what i mean.

play safe bro...

Haha yes I will def. be safe!

Y'all got me worried now... is the stuff I posted not correct? I thought it was... I was just making sure!

sigh :BANGHEAD2:

???

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/1g_equal_how_many_mg

yeah i was right....

Yeah I know that the toxic dose is 2g so I was thinking to be safe I shouldn't take more than 1/4 that (500mg).

Edited by Teotzlcoatl

Just to make sure I don't kill myself half a gram is five hundred milligrams, correct?

.5 gram = 500 milligrams, right?

....and 1g = 1000mg, right?

Yes that is correct but it concerns me a bit that you had to ask... You really need to get this sort of thing very clear in your own mind or you might end up really hurting yourself one day.

Interesting thread though, I'll be watching this one.

I posted a safety protocol that I have used probably a couple of hundred times on new herbal products and other compounds. So you ask me if it is safe to simply divide toxic dose by 4.

What if you have an allergic reaction? What if whoever made/packaged the stuff got their natural camphor confused with synthetic camphor? What if your specific neurochemistry makes you 4 times as susceptile to the stuff?

Sure, go ahead and use your protocol, but don't ask me if it is safe if I already posted what I regard as safe.

Alright, thanks Torsten. From what I remember you said start with 200mg, so I cut that in half and said I'd start with 100mg and make sure I don't go over 500mg at any point during the course of my experimentation.

why don't you read the whole thread? I did assume that you'd end up getting effects at 200mg, but long before that [in post #7 in fact] i also explained a protocol of how to approach such a dosage safely. Don't just pick and chose if you want to play with potentialy fatal substances.

I did read the whole thing and I'm going to make sure I have a sitter.