The Corroboree
planthelper

register of big trees

Wow, it would be so awesome to plant somthing that you know will out live you and become a part the the landscape like that

Wow, it would be so awesome to plant somthing that you know will out live you and become a part the the landscape like that

maybe we can discuss, which trees are possible candidates for that.

i planted a adansonia digitata, the baobab tree in my garden, hehehe.

in the right climat, i would experiment with strangler figs.

i have a really big iron bark, ill post some pics tomorrow. Would a baobab tree grow in sydney?

Think I might try and track down some Eucalyptus regnans seeds, can grow up to 100m!!!!!! I'll be long gone by the time that happens lol but apparently they grow about a meter a year, and live for about 400 years :)

This thread inspired me to grow a monster :)

I've still got a few strangler fig seedlings...well they're getting pretty big now. Want one PH (or anyone else)?

I'd love one of those stranglers, Tripsis. I thought it's a bit cold in Sydney for them to thrive... How big are they?

Please, do take one (or more). I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking about guerrilla gardening them as I'm don't have the space for them. I had about 60, but obviously couldn't keep them all (though I wish I could have), so have managed to give away or sell most of them. I just want to keep two, the two genetically superior ones, which have grown far faster and larger than the rest. Still, I've got maybe another 5 or 6. They're two and half years old from seed and thrive in Sydney. They slow down over winter, but are very hardy and are not adversely affected by the cold. They're maybe 60cm or 80cm.

Speaking of Capparis spinosa, i've been trying to find locally a Capparis spinosa subsp. nummularia (caper bush or native passionfruit) apparently only available in Tangentyere nursery in Alice Springs.. anyone here got any?!?!

I have two Bunya pine tree seedlings which I hope to plant in the ground someday. Supposedly can live to 500 years and get to 35-40 metres tall :)

big trees are amazing, i stumbled on this site researching capparis mitchellii.

http://www.nationalr...?listing_id=535

i think capparis spinosa and mitchellii would grow alright at my place, anybody here got it growing already?

I've got a few young plants (C.mitchellii)~2yrs old I think, still have juvenille leaves. Mine have survived minus several heavy frosts.

I wonder why you'ld look for them on the Big trees list?

You have to watch out for cabbage white butterflies-the grubs will hammer capparis-they're in the Brassicaceae Order. Check them daily, and squish any green grubs, at least until well established.

Here is a pic of one of the big iron barks that live at my place

IMG00014-20110828-1435.jpg

Edited by El presidente Hillbillios

Gotta agree;

'Big tree's are amazing!!'

Check out this eucalypt I stumbled upon over in christchurch botanical gardens! smile.gif ...The biggest i've seen... and in NZ!

post-7606-0-48529300-1314519121_thumb.jp

post-7606-0-48529300-1314519121_thumb.jpg

post-7606-0-48529300-1314519121_thumb.jpg

Edited by fydesvindico

Wow, thats awesome, i have another big silvery gum right down the back, i'll get some pics during the week

Wow, thats awesome, i have another big silvery gum right down the back, i'll get some pics during the week

dooo it! *shakes fist* tongue.gif

I've a few massive beech and stranglers around where I am, I'll have to grab some pics too. They truly are amazing, gotta love em.

Would a baobab tree grow in sydney?

they are a bit more frost sensitive than mangoes, so syd is probably too cold.

I've still got a few strangler fig seedlings...well they're getting pretty big now. Want one PH (or anyone else)?

thanks for the generous offer, but i pass. strangler figs can be found in my area but my garden would not suit them (i got heaps of big trees already on top).

I've got a few young plants (C.mitchellii)~2yrs old I think, still have juvenille leaves. Mine have survived minus several heavy frosts.I wonder why you'ld look for them on the Big trees list?You have to watch out for cabbage white butterflies-the grubs will hammer capparis-they're in the Brassicaceae Order. Check them daily, and squish any green grubs, at least until well established.

yeah, you are right the native capparis as all of them grow very slow and not very big. it was listed because, the site is for spectacular trees (trophy trees) rather than, i worded it, for big trees.