The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
apothecary

Garden plans?

Hi everyone!

Spring is coming! (YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY, can you tell I'm excited? :D :D :D )

I have a web dev contract coming soon from an old client that should put me good for all the seeds I want to buy

My two main projects will be as high propagation levels I can for Red Savina and Mimosa hostilis (10-20 plants of each).

Side projects:

T. bridgesii (thanks teo )

L. williamsii

Corkwood (how come nobody else is as interested in this as me!)

Datura (ferox, stram v. tatula, stram)

Brugmansia (I want a pink one!)

Nicotiana sylvestris

Psychotria viridis

Share your garden plans for this spring!

Well, I'm interested in corkwood, have you got any spare seeds?

I tried growing some harvested seeds from a specimen at the Melbourne Bot. Gard. last summer.

No luck

yeah this spring i plan to grow some ephedra

take caapi cuttings as well as brugmansia cuttings and get some cacti on the go like bridgesii, pedro and lophs

as well as what ever else i find along the way :)

Agh. I just planted all mine, haven't had any germinations yet but the soil is dry (at least the top 2-5cm is), just waiting for warmer nights + spring rains!

(I intentionally put them in dry soil, I'd rather let them sit there and germinate when they feel appropriate than the other way around)

darcy has some.

Stupid Australians!!! It's summer!! You guys are really dumb to think it's winter !! Go put on your swimming suit and go running around outside

Hehe, ok, for real :) , how many degrees is it now in australia? We had a long and warm summer last year that just kept going even through the winter it was very warm. Flowers came up, months too early. Now we have a really bad summer, not warm, rain and stuff .. I really don't understand this anymore. The seasons are pretty fucked up here in Belgium last two/three years. I blame the pollution and the global warming of the earth. Do you guys in Australia have the same problem?

quote:

The seasons are pretty fucked up here in Belgium last two/three years. I blame the pollution and the global warming of the earth. Do you guys in Australia have the same problem?

Yes, amanito, our weather is just as screwed up here the past few years.

It was really warm for months after summer (Sydney anyway), and then the past few weeks(the last few weeks of winter, mind you) have been freezing cold! We even had 'freak snowstorms' in Victoria, and snow in places it hasn't snowed in a hundred years in VIC aswell as Tasmania. So, don't worry. It's not just Belgium.

But, as to Apo's original request, my plans this spring/summer are:

• Harden off the T. Bridge, T. Peruvian, T. Macro, T. Spach, L. Williamsii, L. Williamsi var. Cardona, & L. Williamsii var. White Flower seedlings that I planted around the end of last summer. (stupid, I know, but they lived :) ). That's probably about 100 seedlings all up.
  • Train my Bonsai's; Japanese Maple, Several conifers, a few ficus. Probably start a 'root-over-rock' fig aswell.
  • Repot all 30 or so of my assorted, non-active, cacti. (All sourced from Hamilton's, thankyou verymuch to them :D ) Repot my Delosperma Bosseranum, mainly because I've taken to trading seedlings out of my pot just to prevent them becoming rootbound. :)
  • Harvest the seeds from my imaginary P. Somniferum, Persian White. That's in Summer anyway. And then, of course, imagine that I re-sow some more.
  • Buy a larger greenhouse (about 6'x8') for my P. Viridis, P. Carthaginensis, T. Bromao, B. Caapi, Noni Fruit(the latin eludes me), H. Undatus, and my 2 empty pots labelled M. Speciosa, and S. Divinorum. (in memory ) Hope to add some smaller, empty commemorative pots, labelled the same. That would've been for cuttings, if it we're still possible.
  • Germinate Nicotiana Rustica & N. Tabacum seeds.
  • Germinate Datura Metel & D. Inoxia seeds, aswell as Datura sp? seeds collected in kemps creek, NSW.
  • Germinate Spilanthes Acmella.
  • Germinate H. Undatus.
  • Germinate H. Lupus.
  • Germinate L. Cylindrica.
  • Germinate Capsicum sp. (banana chilli), C. Frutescens (bird pepper), C. Chinense (Habanero), C. Annuum (Jalapeno), C. Pebuscens (Rocoto).
  • Buy 4 garden arches, place them strategically around the yard, and then germinate, and plant one type of seed on each of; I. Violacea (Heavenly Blue), I. Alba (moonflower), I. Violacea (mixed blue stars, and pearly gates, from last years crop), and Ipomoea sp? (mixed, wild collected in Penrith and Nepean region, NSW, white, pink, and dark blue flowers.
  • Germinate mixed Mesebranthemums from a few store bought seed-packets.
  • Germinate mixed Lithops from a few store bought seed-packets.
  • Repot various plants including: A. Absinthium, A. Ponticum, Pennywort, Alpina Strawberries (just starting to fruit though), Alpinia Galanga, Broccoli, Perennial Lettuce, Chinese Licorice, C. Edulis (var II, IV & III, I think), B. Arboria, Feverfew, Lemonbalm, Echinacea, Valerian, Coleus sp., and the list goes on :D

aaaaand, I think that's about it. phew. :)

Sorry for such a long post guys, but you can see I'll be busy this season. Should have lots to trade too by the end of it.

If you didn't want to know, you shouldn't have asked. hehe.

[ 16. August 2005, 13:51: Message edited by: Benzito ]

well, I got into Bonsai last winter, and purchased a few at the time, but haven't really trained any yet, cause their trunks are still developing. So, I just left them alone in Spring/ Should be ready now though, 1.5 years later.

Then, the following spring/summer(2004) I started getting into Ethnobotany, and purchased my first Ethnobotanical in December, 2004 from Herbalistics. (Kratom, no less, one month before I had to discard it)

So, this is really my first season since I started getting interested in plants, and I plan for it to be a big one. :)

Oh yeah, I got Duboisia Myporoides to propagate too. Gonna try for some cuttings from my one plant.

hey guys,

yeah, very inspirational benz, i dont have my own house yet (still renting) so everything has to be kept to pots :( which limits me to no end, but..

pot up my 100-150 odd pachanoi cuttings that are slowly growing under my bed, they'll need to be hardened up too

harden and repot a few bridgesii monstrose, williamsi, scop aswell as as quite a few non active spp.

try my hand at grafting cacti.

obtain b.caapi, catha edulis, nevada sinesis, calea z., various herbs (lemongrass, mint, etc.), t.iboga

repot quite a few unknown coleus spp.

germinate some lago

and generally just shitloads of acquiring, germinating, striking, potting, grafting, purchasing and heaps of other shit i cant think of coz i need to go to bed now.

night guys

sorry for the offtopic, but dracos, the quote in your signature. I recognize that from an old psychedelic trance song I had about 4 years ago. Could you tell me the name? It reminds me of the good old days.

Ok, folks, nothing to see, just keep on posting ontopic now. (except dracos)

ok picture this

Fences covered in various brambles

loganberry, thornless balckberry, boysenbverry, raspberry canes and native raspberries

Hops interwtwing with various beans,passionfruit, passionflower, luffas, gourds and other curcurbits

several heritage tomato varieties on the fences with dragon fruit and kiwis or grapes on the pergola

in the more shaded or moister parts

numerous blueberry and cranberry shrubs in the garden beds in acid mulch with a range of edible and medicinal mushroom species implanted amongst for autumn fruitings.

possibly some local raniforest bushtucker shrubs - if they can handle exposure to frost

veg garden

9 x 4m x 2m beds encompassing a full rotation including double for some groups of all categories of veg incl popping grains (corn, sorghum, barley, amaranth) and condiments (nigella, sesame, etc) fot my large collection of varieties

6 varieties of spuds (Royal blue, solanum ananjhuri, toolangiu delight, kipfler, nicola, sebago) - and prob as many types of pumpkin, bean and tomato

the rugulars things grown plus stuff like purple tomatillos, many types of chillis, salsify, several garlic strains, root parsley, naranjillo

in the sunny drier parts

fruit trees like many dwarf peaches and espallier low chill apple and pears.

pomegranates - galosha azerbaijan and other high quality cultivars, all different types of mulberries. A few of my favouriute cold hardy citrus - orange, tangelo, grapefrit, lemons

Many sage species and hybrids from sue templeton

as well as the striking S apiana which i have become very fond of

many grandiose trichocereus specimns put in place to assume their natural form

cast over (in future) by lime green foliaged anadenantheras

Local acacia species dotted around the yard - esp obtusifolia for its red tipped foliage

underplanted with various flowering cacti, mesembs and other hardy succulents and dryland species annual or perrennial

a planting of several ornamntal Datura metel varieties as well as others lie D meteloides for the delicate night perfume

with Petunia violacea 'shansi' understorey

front fence covered in flying saucers morning glory in summer and purple peas in winter

[ 17. August 2005, 13:52: Message edited by: Rev ]

Thats sounds like something else Rev, it would/will be spectactular once mature.

So many plants so little time... :D

oh yeah well picture this,

dracos lying on the floor with his feet up against a wall kicking, screaming and generally having a tantrum like a 2 year old

waaaahhhhh, i want a house

that does sound truly spectactular rev, what a place to sit on a balmy early summer night, ahh

amanito, the name alludes me im sorry but the song is on love parade disk 2 (nik fish)

hmm..

first year growing here in aus..so..i think im starting a wall of morning glory..just because i simply love the look of them. Also hopefully some Psychotria spp. and cacti, and a few other bits and peices , but im hella short on money so i'll see how far i get..

This is my second year growing but this time round I have a whole lot more cash :D so a bunch of online vendors are gonna do well outta me and my garden should have some interesting stuff.