The Corroboree
Yawning Man

Strobing and visual noise

Hey gang

I was outside eating a smashing chicken parma today and during discussion noticed that i could see all the amoebas and floaty things buzzing around in my eyeball juice a lot more than usual. I'll only really notice them if i focus but today it was at the point it was distracting. I went back to my GFs house and was lying down in bed with the lights off and I started getting this strobing, lighting effect I sometimes get during a Mescal experience and occasionally mushrooms. It went on for about 2 minutes of fairly intense flashing, noticable with eyes both closed and open then went away.

I've also noticed that patterns of light I observe will stay in my field of vision for a bit longer. Like a carpet pattern, headlights and stuff add heaps of visual noise.

I'm just wondering if i should be worried? Hppd and all that shit. I only ever really started to get strobing after a couple of Mescal trips, both the flashing and sometimes an effect not to disimiliar to someone running a torch light over my eyes.

Maybe it was a certain stimuli in the environment or a biological aspect.

cheers

the amoebas are called vitreous floaters they're nothing to worry about pretty much everyone gets them i have them aswell, but flashes in peripheral vision can be a sign of cataract detachment if you get that too often i would go to an optometrist or a doctor

I think its perfectly fine and rather normal to have low level associative triggers

after heavy experiences,

that may or many not be sometimes, consciously available.

I think theyre rarely.. well, never ime to be dangerously inebriating..

If any thing i'd get excited.

Bridging brain gaps.

Where did you get that chicken parma? Sounds like it's worth a shot. :lol:

• Like 3

:lol: @ myfellow virgoan marcel....i want some of that parma and pot deal too!

i'm pretty sure your experiencing normality YM

:P

love YM's work

LOLE, that's a long drive to try a parma Marcel.

@ Mud - The thing is i haven't had any heavy doses for a while, of any drug. It's just come out of no where. It could be the best of what my body can what's called a flashback.

I've always known about the ameobas and stuff, it was just that the light they reflect was more obvious today. Whether all the light imprints in my vision are more noticable coz i'm thinking about them or if it's something else, i'm just curious/lost my train of thought.

I dunno.

the strobing doesnt sound that typical but a really thorough description would help me to possibly pin down which phenomenon it is. are you positive the strobing wasn't from an actual light source?

general agreement though that a less-seemless field of vision isn't such a bad thing (and the floaters arent an issue either). see, what your brain sees at any given moment, is vastly more imperfect than what you see. most of the visual field is sophisticated forgery "yeah, i had time to calculate all that data from the optic nerve" *kicks unused 90% of data further under the bed* "yeah yeah yeah she's sweet mate, you're seeing exactly what the eye sees, i wouldn't try to pull a swifty on you, chief"

*Post back in the morning.

*kicks unused 90% of data further under the bed*

:blink:

that's what i understand the brain does with signals from the optic nerve, at any given moment. it is a bit more complex but my point is, don't believe that your senses portray reality even at their optimum functioning. you THINK your perception is a lot more slick than it really is, because of countless amazing things the brain does. for instance, when the radio is on very quiet, how easy is it to convince yourself that you know what song you're (barely) listening to? i can nearly always hear a familiar track among the whispering drums.

sorry bit of an unnecessary rant. i'm quite proud of my ability to perceive with my eyes and i credit much of that to tripping.

the strobing doesnt sound that typical but a really thorough description would help me to possibly pin down which phenomenon it is. are you positive the strobing wasn't from an actual light source?

general agreement though that a less-seemless field of vision isn't such a bad thing (and the floaters arent an issue either). see, what your brain sees at any given moment, is vastly more imperfect than what you see. most of the visual field is sophisticated forgery "yeah, i had time to calculate all that data from the optic nerve" *kicks unused 90% of data further under the bed* "yeah yeah yeah she's sweet mate, you're seeing exactly what the eye sees, i wouldn't try to pull a swifty on you, chief"

Yeah i sorta knew about the brain filtering a lot of the information. So what happend exactly, is the strobing was sort of happening in my peripheral vision (corner of my eye etc) but around the bottom half, although it was visible faintly in front of my eyes. With open eyes it was more noticeable in the darker areas of the room. Deffinately wasn't a fan over a light source coz there wasn't any fans in the room, I also got it for about 5 seconds when lying in bed last night. But the speed of the flash was exactly what you'd expect from a fan over a light source.

And yeah, i only mentioned the floaters because of their apparent increased visability whereas i can only see their magnitude when I focus.

But i've just reminded myself of another weird visual phenomena I get. Occasionally it looks like there are little dots of golden light flying around the room, where those ameobas light up. It's fucking cool really. Hard to describe any more than that, but does anyone else get that? Basically like the ameobas are reflecting light and ligthing up in the process.

cheers

often autistic folk perceive the flickering from fluorescent lights and it upsets them. on fairly rare occasions, perfect angle, in my periphery, i can see see the flickering too. i don't know a lot about light globes but i reckon if there is a fluro in that room then that's very likely the strobe you saw. maybe this indicates something about us or maybe everybody sees it from time to time.

last thing u describe is probably the one where white blood cells are going thru capillaries, im not sure what makes them become extremely visible at times

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_field_entoptic_phenomenon

they are easily seen against a blue sky but for some reason i get a powerful surge at times while i'm inside, like my heart just pumped double-time or something, very distinct, pulsing breifly then disappearing.

Thisor this?

As a kid, I used to hide in the wardrobe and press on my eyes to see phosphenes of light swirling around. Once, when I was about 10 years old, I spent about 8 hours doing this more or less continuously. The light show would finish after about an hour and I'd suddenly be dreaming; moving through worlds and among various beings... It didn't feel real like a dream, though. It felt like watching a movie or something. I was entirely awake, however. I remember it took incredible amounts of will and focus to "break through" and I haven't been able to do it since I was a kid. To be honest, I haven't really tried... It really hurt my eyes after that length of time, though. They felt bruised for a couple of days and my focus was a little soft. I was terrified that I'd fucked up my vision and didn't tell my mum.

You beat me to it, Thunder. :)

Hmm, well, my gf does have a fluorescent light in her room, so that's deffinately a possibility. And that link you provided sounds pretty much exactly what happens with those golden lights.

Cheers man, deffinately eased some of my concern.

YM

It aint cataract detachment, its retinal detachment and its worth getting checked out if this is a sudden occurance.

Post my wild days my vision is a little weird - white dot flashes mainly and the odd tracer. For ages I could make any object I had seen wobbling on our forest floor friends wobble again afterwards if I concentrated. Weird...

If you teach the mind to do weird shit, it probably keeps that learning and incorporates it.

That being said, the sudden onset of lots of vitreous floaters can also signal the arrival of an inflammatory condition. It happens at the onset of some autoimmune conditions - Lupus, RA, etc.

Also I got shit loads of visual snow when i started getting migraines. I got used to it but its often there when im tired or before a migraine.

Edited by Zen Peddler BlueGreenie