The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
tripsis

A Time-Lapse Map of Every Nuclear Explosion Since 1945 - by Isao Hashimoto

Japanese artist Isao Hashimoto has created a beautiful, undeniably scary time-lapse map of the 2053 nuclear explosions which have taken place between 1945 and 1998, beginning with the Manhattan Project's "Trinity" test near Los Alamos and concluding with Pakistan's nuclear tests in May of 1998. This leaves out North Korea's two alleged nuclear tests in this past decade (the legitimacy of both of which is not 100% clear).

Each nation gets a blip and a flashing dot on the map whenever they detonate a nuclear weapon, with a running tally kept on the top and bottom bars of the screen. Hashimoto, who began the project in 2003, says that he created it with the goal of showing"the fear and folly of nuclear weapons." It starts really slow — if you want to see real action, skip ahead to 1962 or so — but the buildup becomes overwhelming.

Edited by tripsis

Incredible! ..... and scary .

Brutal :( he could have made it a bit faster though lol

Wait. The UK has tested nuclear bombs in Australia?!

yes & there is still aboriginal people in remote areas of SA suffering & dying of diseases because of it..

there was a large dust storm i think in 2009 that blew over east coast nsw... apparently was blown up from areas where they were doing tests in the 50's & there was fears that the dust cloud was possibly somewhat radioactive..

edit typo's

Edited by paradox
  • Like 1

5 @ Montebello Islands, Western Australia.

2 @ Emu Field, Woomera Rocket Range, South Australia.

? @ Maralinga, South Australia:

Seven atomic tests are conducted... between 1956 and 1958. So-called 'minor trials' continue until the early sixties.

[Source]

there was a large dust storm i think in 2009 that blew over east coast nsw... apparently was blown up from areas where they were doing tests in the 50's & there was fears that the dust cloud was possibly somewhat radioactive..

Just wait until BHP Billiton gets cracking with turning the Olympic Dam mine into the worlds biggest open-cut. This will expose the worlds largest radioactive orebody to these very winds.. Watch out SE Australia - cancer causing dust approaching...

I fervently hope the greedy c&*ts never get permission to build their abomination..

And yet people were laughing at me for wearing a mask....

A mask isn't going to save you from radiation.

Edited by tripsis

No, but it makes you look pretty badass.

• Like 1

A mask isn't going to save you from radiation.

will help prevent you from breathing radioactive dust into your lungs though.. oh.. & look real badass... or real goofy as the case may be..

pretty much, the radiation emitted by such dust probably isn't a lot but if some of those radioactive particles enter your body then you'll be copping emissions from those particles for a while.

It might minimise it slightly, but that dust got everywhere. If it was radioactive, people would have copped radiation, mask or not.

I wasn't even aware of the Radioactive dust at the time. I had one of those medical masks on from the chemist. I couldn't breath properly without it as the dust irritated by lungs and throat.