The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
theuserformallyknownasd00d

looking for agar

hey guys, I have had some spores for about 2 months now and I'm itching to get it going! I however am still baffled by making agar, even after hours of reading on it :BANGHEAD2:

my question is would somebody out there be willing to sell me enough agar to make 10-20 plates?

or if you have a fool proof recipe that you think even a monkey could follow, I would be keen on giving it a go, but would still like some proven "good" stuff from a knowledgeable member :lol:

thanks again guys, i hope somebody can help!

D00d

health food stores, asian supermarkets,

u need to do some research bred, like the rest of us have had to.

shroomery is good place to start.

really its trial and error until u find techniques and methods that work for you.

good luck!

basically if ur baffled by making agar, the shroom growing process will do ur head in!

Edited by incognito

I've done the process from receiving inoculated cakes onwards, the agar has always been a headf*** for me :-/

I've done the healthfood stores intown with no luck and we don't have an asain grocer. I have got the ingredients in the cupboard and will try a few more recipes on the weekend. The final product never seems to be of a healthy color and consistency, even recipes from this board!

I was just hoping to get the ball rolling as I continue my agar efforts in the kitchen :-)

What's a healthy agar? It won't be pink like it was in high school science class.

For me, for the moment i like non nutrified agar.

I use one packet of tgold rophy brand for $1.40 from the azn store.

I put on litre of water in a saucepan, i put in 60g of wheat grains (i don't have rye) and i put in 60g of sawdust.

Boil for 45 minutes then strain then pour slowly through a coffee filter into a measuring jug (although i have an erlenmyer flask). If it's short of 800ml then i top it up with boiling water.

I then add approx 20g of the 25g packet and i swirl and stir until it's dissolved.

I tear off a square of foil and cover the top of the flask with it, then I PC for anywhere between 45 and 120 mins.

If i don't use it as it cools it doesn't matter. I leave the foil on and it stays fine for weeks/months. When i want to use it, i just heat the flask over the flame of the stove. Then pour my plates.

I try to not take the lid off much, just making it ajar and pouring through the smallest crack i can.

I use;

9gm powdered agar

1 gm vegemite

5 gm potatoe flake (Deb)

10 gm dextrose or Karo

500ml hot water.

Shake to dissolve in a Green Ginger Wine bottle, leave the lid a little loose and cover with foil.

Sterilise at 20psi with your plates for 20 mins. Pour while hot. Shake often.

• Like 1

Go to the myco supply site and buy some ready made potato dextrose or malt extract agar. It will save you so much time and effort and the Aussie dollar is great at the moment.

Ebay dude, type in mushroom kit or agar kit and it will come up with a dude selling 20 sterile plates with micropore tape and enough powder to make 600ml and fill them all. I just ordered some, costs roughly $37 all up inc. Express post. :)

Hope that helps!

forget agar, go LC. Only need to use agar for dirty spores. 2% malt, 2%dextrose 96$water, put inside jar withpolyfil hole and PC for 15 min, do the rest in glovebox. Like said before, go shroomery and read read read.