The Corroboree
PD.

Mobile phones

So, i finally sucked it up and got on a plan, no more prepaid screwin around. I also got a phone on the plan at $10 a month, i finally had a half descent phone.........

Then the other day whilst doing my stay at home dad chores the phone somehow fell out of my pocket into a bucket of soaking clothes, fuckin awesome, i have had this phone only a month or less and this happens!! It was a split second, I dried out the thing on top of a fluoro light and after a few hours it seemd dry and was still working fine, a few more hours later it decided to go retarded and switch itself on and off a few times then finally off. I got it to turn back on but the touchscreen was unresponsive surprise surprise. No amount of drying since has fixed it and i assume it is completely fucked.

I called vodafail and due to being a new customer that had no insurance (first time they had mentioned it!) there was nada to be done, i have to wait 2 more months before they will put another phone on a payment plan. That means i need to purchase a new handset outright and my question to you is, which phone??????

The phone i had was an xperia x10 mini which wasnt too bad a phone but now i think id like something a lil bigger perhaps like the nexus s, so many choices out there.

whaddya reckon?????

i dont have much but, touch screens suck.... imo. :bootyshake:

i have an iphone and the ipad2 is my next choice.

Edited by gogogadget

iPhone. Htc (which also makes the experia) make some decent phones but they fall apart pretty quickly.

whats your price range and who is your carrier?

Re: wet phones, dry it out then put it in a warmed dehumidifying box for 24hrs, like a cardboard box with a 'Hippo' inside. never turn them back on for at least 24hrs after checking its dry.

It only takes a bit of moisture to provide some conduction between 2 contacts and shes fuckd and when you turn it back on it also gets warm which brings previously unseen moisture out again.

It's a shame they never mentioned the insurance to you when you selected and set up your phone plan.

Sucks when stuff like this happens man, I feel you. :(

I would suggest staying away from the iPhone4 as these things are about as durable as dust. They made the whole back cover out of glass aswell so even more chance it will shatter.

If you can manage to get your hands on a brand new iPhone3Gs these are very nice phones and I used one for about a year and a half straight and never had too many major issues with it.

At the moment I'm using a HTC Desire HD from vodaphone. I love the Android OS and after using it I wouldn't even consider going back to the iOS. (and upon reading the most recent patch notes for iOS5 it seems that Apple are just starting to copy over quite a few features)

As for durability this thing is the strongest I've seen since my little Nokia flip phone, and believe me I TRIED to break that thing (literally throwing it at concrete walls)

About a week ago I forgot I had sat it on the roof of the car, only for it to slide off, bounce on the edge of the gutter, then bounce into the gutter. Sure a few chips and scratches here and there but the massive touch screen stayed 100% in tact and scratch free, and it still runs 100% normal. I was so relieved.

But yeah overall I'd recommend a HTC. Or the Samsung Galaxy S has had some good reviews, and my friend says he loves his. Personally I don't like them but hey that's just me.

And with the Galaxy S2 just around the corner you might want to avoid it as it'll soon be heavily outdated.

EDIT: My bad the galaxy S2 is already out. It may be worth looking in to.

Edited by dollarjuice

So, i finally sucked it up and got on a plan, no more prepaid screwin around. I also got a phone on the plan at $10 a month, i finally had a half descent phone.........

Then the other day whilst doing my stay at home dad chores the phone somehow fell out of my pocket into a bucket of soaking clothes, fuckin awesome, i have had this phone only a month or less and this happens!! It was a split second, I dried out the thing on top of a fluoro light and after a few hours it seemd dry and was still working fine, a few more hours later it decided to go retarded and switch itself on and off a few times then finally off. I got it to turn back on but the touchscreen was unresponsive surprise surprise. No amount of drying since has fixed it and i assume it is completely fucked.

I called vodafail and due to being a new customer that had no insurance (first time they had mentioned it!) there was nada to be done, i have to wait 2 more months before they will put another phone on a payment plan. That means i need to purchase a new handset outright and my question to you is, which phone??????

The phone i had was an xperia x10 mini which wasnt too bad a phone but now i think id like something a lil bigger perhaps like the nexus s, so many choices out there.

whaddya reckon?????

hey bullwinkle :) contact sharxx, maybs he can help you

xoxo rocky

Not a personal recommendation on models, but something else to consider is the quality of the support, which all too often is fucking disgusting these days.

My partner had a Nokia phone last year, and a big line developed across the LCD (not on the surface, but the electronics). It got so bad, that she took it to the Nokia Service Centre in Parramatta, and they basically treated her like shit, said it's not covered by warranty, it was her fault that the electronics fucked up etc. So she basically told them to shove it up their ass, walked to a dealer up the street and purchased a brand new LG with Android etc. Well, a month ago the audio output went on it (one side only) so she took it to the LG service centre. No questions asked, they changed out the socket, even installed a new glass screen and back casing for nothing, all under warranty, no accusations of the coverage being void due to fabricated reasons, they just fixed it on the spot.

So you may want to keep in mind that, from this experience at least, Nokia are a bunch of cunts when it comes to after-care under warranty.

Most of the people I know with smartphones have HTC's now. The rest have iPhones. The HTC people seem to be a bit happier with them, but this could just be apple rebelion. When the iPhoners get together away from the other people, the cracks start appearing. Having said that I think iPhones are hot as, but then I like the look and feel of everything apple. I own a brick so I can't really talk.

A collegue got a new Samsung something the other day, similar look to iPhone etc but very lightweight. And thin too.

Choice did a smartphone article last month I think, might be worth checking out.

www.cnet.com.au is a great website to check for yourself, based on your own needs v. wants.

Agree that Nokia service is shit, that Samsungs and HTCs are pretty decent phones, and most of my friends with iPhones have some bitch about them or other.

ive got a nokia and cant fault it. all the nokias ive owned have been very reliable. i like my phone to have buttons, none of this touch screen bs. i like the phone to be simple. just for making and receiving calls and texts. all the rest of that bs, isnt that what a pc is for? i dunno i guess im just not keeping up with the times!

Thanks for the replies everyone. I thought i had a lil dollar to throw on a phone but now it looks as though i will hafta get a lil cheapo for 30-50bux lol. I tend to agree wit ya incog, keep it simple etc but the new phones have a lot of useless crap to keep a fool like me entertained whilst nothing else is happening. Anyways, im kickn myself in the balls atm for dropping that god-damned thing in water, the fact i still have the plan and no phone is also a major blow to the testicles i will inflict upon myself in due course.

cheers.

Go the good old prepaid Nokia phones, they seem to be the most durable for me

PD I have a perfectly good nokia prepaid that I no longer use, currently locked to the vodaphone network.

If you want it for free send me a PM, only problem is it doesn't have a charger but any basic nokia charger should fit.

You didn't tell vodafone it was you who broke the phone did ya?

Cause vodafone may be different, but I know my brother and his friends used to ring 3 whenever they wanted a new model and tell them the phone was broken for no good reason. After a heated exchange 3 would tell them to send the phone in, then send out a new phone without even checking if the old phone was actually broken.

Also, if you ever do get a few bucks together, I can highly recommend the iPhone 3G, which was just the second model to come out, so you've gotta be able to find a fairly cheap one on eBay or whatever. I've had mine for well over 3 years and never had a problem. I've got a app that comes in useful for every aspect of my life, I think it would be like losing a vital part of my brain if I lost or broke my iphone. They really are a revolution in technology.

The only thing on the newer model of iPhones that actually really interests me is the compass, which the 3GS model has. Other than that, the 3G model stands up well and is very reliable in my experience.

Peace