The Corroboree
CβL

Pictures of indiscriminate death (Warning: Graphic images)

Eloquently stated, Dude.

"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace." ~ Wayne Dyer

I thought Semite was a racial not linguistic category...

Regardless it has been selectively used only to apply to Jews, which is anti-semitic, excluding all other Semites.

The pic in the original post reminded of the disgusting killing of up to 8 million Koalas in the 1920s. Now as few as 80 thousand remain in the wild.

This picture shows a cart carrying just 3600 of those 8 million pelts sold off to Europe and America.

post-3565-0-68581800-1312349841_thumb.jp

post-3565-0-68581800-1312349841_thumb.jpg

post-3565-0-68581800-1312349841_thumb.jpg

Anyway I accept it means anti-Jew. in light of that i still have no idea what your trying to say below??:

"the populations they've dispossessed in Palestine are the Semites" ??

Foreign born Jews displaced Israeli Jews into palestine??

They've displaced the native Palestinian populations which are Semites, and their expanding settlements keep on doing so.

The point I was trying to make is that often the term anti-semitic is used to describe criticism of Israel, for instance to say that their apartheid occupation of Palestine is a violation of the Palestinian people's human rights is actually denying Israels right to exist and is the talk of white supremacist rednecks with an anti-semitic prejudice. The term is a bit of a joke as it has become a deflection against legitimate criticism of Israel, especially when the state inflicts harm on other Semites, it's just ironic.

Today the usage of the term anti-semitic has become anti-semitic as it's excluding all semitic peoples apart from the Jews.

Edited by The Dude

Dude and others, please for a moment take the semitic aspect out of the discussion as this seems to cloud people's perspective a little due to all the horrors that Israel has inflicted. Let's say psylo had posted the same pic with the caption "gay slumberparty" or "gypsy slumberparty", would you still feel that the post should stay? How about if you were gay or a gypsy, do you still think it would be fine?

A homophobe would probably think the gay caption would be funny. If you were a mainstream bulgarian there would also be a good chance that you'd find the gypsy caption funny. But most people who don't carry some sort of prejudice would probably find them disgusting. So now look again at why you approve of the jewish slumberparty caption. Justifying such prejudice with past or present misdeeds and atrocities is not very sound logic. I mean, essentially you are saying that because israel committs crimes against humanity it's Ok to laugh about some jews being victims of similar such atrocities in the past. Doesn't that sound just a little wrong to you?

• Like 3

If there wasn't a new Holocaust docudrama coming out every month, perhaps people would feel less like making bad jokes about it all? Same with the War on Terrorism and everything else... People just don't want to be force-fed feelings, eh. They want to discover them on their own.

I highly respect that you noted it wasn't just Jews who got killed in the "Jewish Holocaust". It was also gays, dissenters and the mentally handicapped, etc. Maybe somebody should tell the ADL this?

Edited by synchromesh
  • Like 2

Justifying such prejudice with past or present misdeeds and atrocities is not very sound logic. I mean, essentially you are saying that because israel committs crimes against humanity it's Ok to laugh about some jews being victims of similar such atrocities in the past. Doesn't that sound just a little wrong to you?

I don't justify any prejudice, I justify offensive humour as it can diffuse a tense situation, it depends on whether or not one chooses to be offended, I for one don't want to be constrained in a politically correct prison because others are overly sensitive. I'm not justifying laughing at Jewish people because of the acts of Israel today, I'm justifying laughing at anyone for any reason, especially if the reason being you're not supposed to, it makes it especially funny.

The discussion on the term anti-semitic stemmed from the fact that offensive humour and bad taste would possibly pass for other demographics that don't have their own catchphrase. the "gay slumberparty" or "gypsy slumberparty" would be just as funny if history focused on these victims too instead of solely the Jews. As it is, collectively we see the holocaust as applying solely to the Jews hence that's the reference we get and laugh at. - Also, I find the term is misapplied because the joke wasn't making fun of other Semites, only Jews, the term anti-semitic was being used in an anti-semitic way (as it always is nowadays), so in the name of political correctness I had to interject.

I'm justifying laughing because it needs not be justified. If people are worried that their moral code will be corrupted by laughing at immoral or offensive jokes then perhaps their moral code was quite fickle to begin with; people don't need lessons on moral righteousness from those so intent on protecting theirs from ... jokes.

Jokes of these sort when one is a conscious empathic individual do not corrupt the individual to be part of the unconscious egocentric masses, who also find these jokes funny, whether or not it re-enforces negative stereotypes.. well, that's the double edged sword, it's like people that misunderstand death rap and take it to be a justification for brutality. So I can't share a laugh in bad taste jokes (that diffuse tension) lest some ignorant fool overhear it and see it as some white supremacist manifesto.

Back to the topic of massive death and it's impact on the psyche.

"Holocaust" is a word of Greek origin meaning "sacrifice by fire, burnt offering", from Gk. holokauston, neut. of holokaustos "burned whole," from holos "whole" (see safe (adj.)) + kaustos, verbal adj. of kaiein "to burn."

Sacrifices tend to feed a god, or a power structure, or an unconscious belief or thought-form. Post WW2 the new power structures we have around us now need constant feeding.

It is the secret societies involved in occult rituals who continue with their holocausts all the time (on pagan holidays, amplifying the waveform with carefully timed impulses), it's important to remind people, repetition, repetition it's the name of the game, a ritual to create habitual thoughts, to remind the subconscious of the power structure.

The conscious mind is disconnected from those deep seated emotions of horror and suffering that have caused deep cuts in the collective psyche, the memory is felt as an unconscious malaise. When such instances are bought to consciousness we recoil in shock, the intent is to literally horrify (and incapacitate) the masses. So if you laugh in the face of these mind control techniques of terror, the public will keep the edifice of hypocritical morality intact with a knee-jerk reaction self righteousness to make you feel like a piece of shit for laughing, you must hate the people you laugh at, you must be a hate-filled, bigoted, evil person.

Laugh it off, fuck their control trip!

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

"That which offends you only weakens you. Being offended creates the same destructive energy that offended you in the first place- so transcend your ego and stay in peace." ~ Wayne Dyer

geez u seemed pretty offended when you asked VS and I if we where intimidated by you and we pissed ourselves laughing!!!

Dude, one aspect you did not address is if you would think such jokes funny if you were one of the minority it is targeted at? Gays often find poofter jokes funny when told by other gays, but not when told by homophobes. Negros often tell negro jokes [and call themselves n*gger] but find it offensive when white people do it.

Are you a member of a minority? if yes, then how would you feel about tasteless jokes about you? and if no, then how can you judge what is acceptable?

I highly respect that you noted it wasn't just Jews who got killed in the "Jewish Holocaust". It was also gays, dissenters and the mentally handicapped, etc. Maybe somebody should tell the ADL this?

In europe the holocaust is not a jew specific issue. I found it quite confronting when coming to australia that australians know so little about that history and have such a limited understanding of it. I presume this is partly because of the poor education here and partly because of the american dominated TV documentary market which is largely supported by hollywood's jewish interest and targeted at keeping their interests front and centre [hence the media bombardment]. The holocaust wasn't 'germans against jews', it was 'Nazi's against non-nazis'. The reason why jews became the largest proportion of those killed was because they were also the largest ratio within the population [or at least the easiest to track down]. if the gypsies had outnumbered the jews in the german population we would be talking about the gypsies not the jews.

we have to remember the fact that human beings unconditionally and do so without much conscious but rather sub consciously we can make fun of a event in a tasteless way but its not always what we actually perceive in us.

its like this.. during the wild brissy storms where my dad lives , his whole house went under water.. i joke about my dad that well shit at least he has his boat to get him out should he need it... and many saw that as me being rude and tasteless.

it was in fact my scene of guilt and worry where i know there isnt a damn thing i could do so i calm my thoughts with a lil joke about it in a bad mannered way.

i think this whole thing with physco has gone a lil too far IMO.

these events happened along time ago , its history and a part of us all.

no matter how hard we try in life, we cannot please everyone. nor can we expect people to truly understand our thoughts.

peace brothers and sisters , we are all human beings and prone to doing silly things.

rest assured i have seen a trillion times worse then what physco posted.

"Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable."

- Terence McKenna

People are always so quick to judge or take offense. I really do wish that things were different.

Dude, one aspect you did not address is if you would think such jokes funny if you were one of the minority it is targeted at? Gays often find poofter jokes funny when told by other gays, but not when told by homophobes. Negros often tell negro jokes [and call themselves n*gger] but find it offensive when white people do it.

Are you a member of a minority? if yes, then how would you feel about tasteless jokes about you? and if no, then how can you judge what is acceptable?

Why call yourself something which you don't like other people calling you?

• Like 1

Incognito, I hardly consider myself intimidating nor have the desire to be, I can't even remember when or why I asked you this, probably in jest. I really doubt I got (genuinely) offended by your reaction, I might've joked that I should do some weights, but if I wanted to be intimidating I would've done that already, I'd bulk up and get some tattoos and shave my head and go around looking real mean... people tend to misunderstand me in general, my sarcasm and sense of humour. Maybe I was particularly self conscious about my perceived scariness at the time :P

Torsten, I'm an immigant and I've copped crap for it... meh. One of the only freedoms we have in this life is how we choose to see things. I find most of these jokes funny although I wouldn't say them in a public forum because of the political correct prison that the larger culture is and I rather not get ostracised. I guess part of me doesn't want to hurt people's feelings either but then I think it's good to offend people, gives them the chance to let go of what it is they're getting offended by.

People are quick to put on the front of the appropriate reaction to inappropriate humour without allowing themselves a genuine reaction first. "Am I allowed to laugh at this? Oh no it's got the J word, now I must express indignation and let them know the confines of acceptable humour"

Synchromesh, because it's taking it back, by using a pejorative label of the minority within said minority it's taking away it's power to offend, it's using it ironically I guess.

Synchromesh, because it's taking it back, by using a pejorative label of the minority within said minority it's taking away it's power to offend, it's using it ironically I guess.

Yeah, I guess. I'm still a bit puzzled about all of that.

People are quick to put on the front of the appropriate reaction to inappropriate humour without allowing themselves a genuine reaction first. "Am I allowed to laugh at this? Oh no it's got the J word, now I must express indignation and let them know the confines of acceptable humour"

Yeah, and there's even current affairs shows to make them feel proud about their ignorance:

:wacko:

• Like 1

So everything worked itself out with this thread! We've all bonded over our universal disgust for mainstream news media! Hurrah!

• Like 2