The Corroboree
tipz

proximity flying

that video of the guy hitting thr bridge is intense! one guy was flying under it while the guy that hit was going over it. The clang it made was horriffic! I think the suits provide 30ft of foward motion for every 30ft of decent???

The rate of descent is actually 1/2.5 ( and now they are pushing 3:1 ) - so for every thousand feet of vertical descent, 2500 feet plus is gained horizontally.

How long on average do flights last for?

well it takes roughly ten seconds and one thousand feet to reach terminal velocity ( in box postion )

The reccomended height to deploy at my dz is at 3-3.5 thousand feet to allow times to sort out line twists or various malfunctions and deploy reserve chute if needed. we jump from a cessna which struggles to get to 14,000 feet -- 10 seconds for the first thousand and five seconds for every thousand feet after that. so my freefall time is generally about about a minute. but we do hop'n'pops from 3000 feet where ya gotta pull almost immediately or ya can do a canopy ride with instant deployment at 14000 feet.

This varies as some nutbags will disable their cyprus' ( a safety device that fires your chute at the height you program it for in case of being knocked unconscious somehow and unable to deploy ) and see how low they can pull. One guy at my dropzone is named johnny250 as he deplayed at 250 feet to win - and at terminal velocity being 5 seconds per 1000 ft he was technically 1.25 seconds from bouncing before his chute deployed ( very foolish - but he is a madman - ex sas ) although this wasnt measured he may have been 2 seconds from impact :blink:

But sometimes they hire jet turbine planes with oxygen masks so you can jump from a much higher altitude than a shitty prop driven cessna plane - so more freefall time. but this rarely happens in adelaide due to cost !

if you mean flights up - it takes twenty to thirty minutes in our cessna to reach altitude - packed in like sardines with everyone farting in your face as the gas in your stomach expands with less atmospheric pressure - funny stuff sometimes - but generally putrid :P as for wingsuit flights im not too sure tripsis !

you in adelaide tripsis ? come out and have a jump mate - i can tell ya wanna ;)

edit cause im semi illiterut ;)

Edited by tipz

man wasnt made to fly. that clip is my worst nightmare.

• Like 1

One guy at my dropzone is named johnny250 as he deplayed at 250 feet to win - and at terminal velocity being 5 seconds per 1000 ft he was technically 1.25 seconds from bouncing before his chute deployed ( very foolish - but he is a madman - ex sas ) although this wasnt measured he may have been 2 seconds from impact

That's really quite insane!

My question was more about the average flight time for wingsuit flying. I suppose it would vary a great deal based on many different factors. I wonder how long you could go for in ideal conditions?

you in adelaide tripsis ? come out and have a jump mate - i can tell ya wanna ;)

Nah, not in Adelaide, though I have family there. Would love to come for a jump. How much would it set me back?

id advise to do aff (aerial free flight) stage one instead of tandem, but that requires 2 four hour in house tutorials and allows you to jump with ya own chute but two instructors holding you stable on exit and until you pull ( its roughly the same price but if you enjoy and get the bug your allready on your way) !- then you canopy down solo - prices have risen with insurance and fuel costs since i got my a licence a few years ago, so call for a price - and if you do it here and came up with me im sure i could get you a 10% discount ( even if i had to pack a few chutes for em or something ) - so if ya keen ring sa- skydiving and chase it up ! the dropzone is an old farm out near callington - or murray beidge if ya know that town! real cool as there are about twenty caravans and some of the more adventurous go stay and party up there for the weekend ! by stage seven ( seventh jump if you dont have to repeat any ) your doing head first dive exits by yourself, 360 turns, somersaults, tracking and all sorts of cool stuff !

Man, that's sounds awesome. Tandem isn't really very appealing, though would need balls to jump out first go not in tandem. I've far too broke to come down any time soon, plus am back at uni in a few weeks, but will definitely keep it in mind for the future. :)

I love that episode of Planet Earth. Awesome base jumping! Would love to dive into a hole like that.

Just hope your not scaring any of my potential future jumping buddies from trying something they had been thinking about :D

absolutely not my intention. Like I said, I used to like taking risk too, so fully understand the drive to dive.

But something has made me a lot more cautious these days and skydiving is not really what I am looking for. So go for it, but without me.

p.s - landind deaths are nearly always from recklessness - they are called hook turns - but aaanyway - come jumping

Interesting. Hadn't thought of that.

thanks for that tripsis.

Ive learn t a thing or two about plants at this site and now im learning how to use a computer :worship:

REMOVED SUSPECT VIDEO

Edited by DeadStar

Click the icon of the three little computers to the right of the smiley face and put the URL of the video in it.

Youtu.be? Not visiting until confirmed as safe, sorry but the URL looks far too suspect.

EDIT: Tripsis, he did use the media tag, you can tell by hitting quote.

Edited by Sheather

I just went to YouTube, found the vides,

Pushed the share button under the video and copied the URL

Then pasted it in the button tripsis told me about.

Did I do something wrong?

I have watched it a few times and nothing blew up

No, fair enough, there are just sites that have untrustworthy content that have their URL look a great deal like the original. Like gooogle, and faceboook...

proximity flying is perfectly safe, just ask tiger.

R.I.P in advance to any member who considers this :)

all jokes asides this could really be a good cure for suicide. if u r just going to do it anyways, u may as well try and fly first. IF you survive,you would possibly be so invigorated that you have found the will to live. reasonable last option. would be a quick death with a fuck up that high.

i say that cos once, i saw this renowned old man that read ur tea-leaves and spoke to the spirit world. i hear u chuckle. but its true. this guy was legit. he had died many times on the table,only to come back, then he beat cancer. i think mescalito has heard of him? he read ur tea lives then u could ask him questions. i asked him how to get rid of this fear and anxiety that i have inside of me. i was fully honest with him, and i expected some long winded philospophical rant. he said " go sky diving". i said never, that id die first. he was very insistant. you see, i would be worried of having a hearty on the way down. im one anxious motherfucker. i just cant see what would get me to jump out of a plain except for someone shooting me dead out of one, as im afraid i would take the whole plane with me. theres just no way.

gods a cruel man indeed if i must jump out of a plane to get my shit sorted. cruel bastid he be to us creatures great and small.

Edited by incognito
  • Like 1