The Corroboree
7baz

hoodies , beanies banned in shops.

I dont like this one bit.

yes its a month trail in brissy.

i dont like this because for some strange reason i feel that in some time no too far distant it will become a law and illegal in every state to wear a beanie or hood into any type commercial zone.

what ever happened to rights ?

the police are being stupid , they cant make you take off a beanie in a store , you can sue.

some of you might think im over exaggerating.

with the amount of shit thats been going on lately, i dont feel nor think i am.

your opinions no doubt going to be interesting.

video is on the link below.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/video/national/watch/25778198/

Edited by 7baz

Well in the news segment all it said was its a trial and there is no ban just a polite, can you please remove your hood. The way i see it, if im asked to remove my hood in a shop i would have no problems doing so depending on how i was asked of course but i wouldnt take off my hoodie altogether, that said, i dont find it comfortable to wear my hood up generally unless its really cold but usually i have my beanie on anyways lol. More often than not (depending on how feral my hair is or if i have any at the time) i will take off my beanie when going into a shop as it used to be common courtesy to remove your hat when indoors but i guess that "common courtesy" is seen as old fashioned or a waste of time these days. Sometimes i will leave it on if im only rushing in and out but ya gotta remember, it is a hell of a lot colder in Vic than it is in sunny Queensland.

All in all though, this idea seems a tad retarded and i doubt it will get much further than the trial, if someone wants some coin and they plan on taking it from your cash register then a ban on hoodies and beanies isnt gon do jack shit. "Please remove your hood sir", "Hows get fucked sound and whilst ya busy gettn fucked, how about you please remove the cash from the register and fill this beanie sir"

With some ppl, it is better if the beanie is left on, god knows how long it has been on there or what is hiding under it!

• Like 1

its were common sense prevails

a normal human being like myself would take there beanie or hood or hat off in a restaurant.

i always were my beanie when i go shopping , coz melb can be cold.

and your right , its not gona do shit lol

its stupid , retarded and yet another direction to removing our freedom and liberty.

• Like 1

Its too make face recognition work better. Think about the UK where CCTV is everywhere.

I hate these kind of laws as well, what a crock.

• Like 1

That link had nothing to do with this topic. Can you explain what's happening a little more clearly?

the news article is on the second page of stories trips, try here - STORY

'Hoodie Free Zone' to reduce robbery risk

by Queensland Police Service on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 at 2:41am

A police initiative to better educate businesses on how to reduce the risk of falling victim to armed robbery will be rolled out in the Wynnum District next month.

Wynnum District Officer Acting Superintendant Paul Scanlan said the 'Hoodie Free Zone' initiative had been developed as a result of an increase in armed robberies where offenders were wearing hooded jumpers to conceal their identity.

"The strategy aims to raise awareness and to educate retailers of the importance of providing a good description to police," he said.

"By encouraging customers to remove their hoodies, retailers can minimise the risk of being a target.

"This initiative includes a 'Remove Hoodies on Premises' sticker to be placed in prominent positions inside businesses.

"Along with this sticker, retailers will also receive height stickers and an armed robbery awareness brochure."

Acting Superintendant Scanlan said that without hoodies covering their heads, offenders and suspects can be easily identified on CCTV footage and through witness descriptions.

"If we can encourage 'hoodie free zones', it is hoped we can reduce unease among retailers as it reduces the ability of offenders and suspects to conceal their identities," he said.

This initiative is to be rolled out within the Wynnum District on a trial for 1 month and will then be extended across South Brisbane and Oxley Districts.

Anyone with information which could assist police with their investigations should contact Crime Stoppers anonymously via 1800 333 000 or crimestoppers.com.au 24hrs a day.

Qld Police Service fb info site

I don't agree with the ban.

Wynnum can be quite a scary place, particularly at the train stations at night. So if the retailers in Wynnum are pleased with the outcome of the trial and feel generally safer, I can see how the police will try and use that as leverage to continue the role out into the South Brisbane and Oxley Districts.

But a would be robber would have to be a little bit silly to try and stage a hold up in Wynnum during the trial.. so naturally you'd think that the number of armed robberies for the Wynnum area would drop for the month of the trial. So the trial will most likely be a "success".... although not a very accurate success. Surely the problem will just be displaced to surrounding suburbs.

Edited by Chattest Hairpie Ever

Damn, that is really wrong. This should not be allowed to happen. More of our rights, gradually being eroded away...

I do agree it seems a bit extreme but...

I don't see how it is any different to having to remove a motorcycle helmet before you enter a shop. Both serve the same purpose. Maybe you should be directing your anger towards the criminals who give your hoodies a bad name rather than the shop owners who are getting robbed or the police who are trying to protect our community.

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

This is utter stupid! Would you ask a cancer paitent to remove his/her beanie? So does this mean the burqa has to be removed as well??? :BANGHEAD2: Im buying a monk cloak or a wizard gown, its my religion :P next will be dreadlocks :P

Edited by Bush Turkey

'Hoodie Free Zone' to reduce robbery risk

'Hoodie Free Zone' to increase head colds

"Seems"?

I don't see how it is any different to having to remove a motorcycle helmet before you enter a shop.

Since when has it been illegal to wear a helmet in a shop?

Both serve the same purpose.

Yeah, not really.

Maybe you should be directing your anger towards the criminals who give your hoodies a bad name rather than the shop owners who are getting robbed or the police who are trying to protect our community.

And how would we do this exactly? "Please stop giving hoodies a band name Mr. robber, sir..." *BANG*

There's no community to protect by the way. Just a pyramid of people who are kicking each others teeth in. :P

• Like 1

I guess a skimask and rubber gloves are out of the question?

prolly could substitute superglue on the fingers/palm and bandage your face up as few people would ask a car accident/burn victim to remove their surgical dressings? (a pair of crutches might lend credibility )

Its like the patriot act scam........"we will make you safer trust us....if your not doing anything wrong you have nothing to worry about" mean while the govt takes another shit on ones rights.

Maybe you should be directing your anger towards the criminals who give your hoodies a bad name.

Yeah what a great idea.... sir , just wait while I run a Criminal Check before you purchase this hoodie.

police who are trying to protect our community.

The pigs couldn't protect shit! I bet if store owners paid "real" hard arses to protect them no one would fuck with them.

next thing the lil 8 year old boy will be asked to remove his spiderman mask or the cops will be called.

this is just fucking ridiculous and it goes to ridiculous lengths.

what next ? ban on scarfs ? u can murder someone with a scarf you know ?

what in the world is going on here ? these dickheads in power need to be removed.

there is a reason why crime occurs.

more you fuck with the people , more you make there life hell , more you slave them in the monetary system , more you keep taking there freedom and liberties away , the more you keep increasing prices.. the more crime will soar.

Edited by 7baz
  • Like 1

I say give shop owners guns. They are probably more responsible than cops.....

Yet another stupid law. Can't wear a motorbike helmet into most shops, now cant wear a hoodie or beanie ? Are they for real.

It is ok to tell us we can't keep warm but yet religious beliefs enable muslims to wear full face covering masks in most locations. I am not a racist but i think this in itself is unfair. Australia is too unfair to it's own citizens while letting everything done by other cultures go on freely. Our rights have slowly been eroded to the point we will soon lose our right to free speech, oh wait that is already going as well.

Not to mention a persons right to do what they will in their own home so long as it doesn't harm or adversely affect others. I would blatantly refuse to take my hood and/or beanie off and explain that i am going to shop elsewhere if i am not allowed to wear my warm clothes.

@7baz, i had the tie taken off my board shorts when i got arrested a while back for being drunk and disorderly, even though it was stitched to my pants and i was too drunk to even walk it was apparently a dangerous weapon which i may use to harm someone. It wouldn't surprise me if scarves get banned next, you can hide your mouth behind a scarf ! the horror ! Then strangle someone with it ! Lets not forget paper, could give someone a nasty papercut and cause them to bleed out. And yet we are still allowed to carry knives up-to 7 inches as long as they aren't serrated.

The laws are a joke and i just dont bother to care anymore. I will do what i wish in my own home and if i want to weare a hoodie or beanie than damnit i will wear a hoodie or beanie. I am tempted to streak through the shopping centres in my underwear and claim that i didn't want to be arrested for wearing clothes to prove a point.

As for shop owners getting guns, why not ! If people are going to approach stores with a weapon then a shopkeeper should be able to defend his shop. Half of all armed hold ups are not even getting jail time, and then whacking their pitiful fines on spers. Who is going to learn their lesson paying fines off $20 a fortnight, hell they will probably just rob another shop to pay them off. The simple fact is that the REAL criminals aren't getting punished and the rest of society is forced to suffer the consequences.

edit: @slybacon, i agree the police don't protect anything. My corner store has been robbed at knife point once and ram-raided once in the last month. Police take on average an hour plus to show up and then cant do anything about it. People know this and exploit it, the police themselves aren't to blame it's the rules and regulations put upon them that limit them from being able to do anything. Give them the power to give a thief a flogging and then things would be different.

If they were allowed to hire some "muscle" then people would steer clear !

Edited by DarkSpark

individual shops have the right to dictate whatever the dress code is of their shop, just like a nightclub. if the customer doesnt like it then they should go elsewhere, its got nothing to do with human rights.

i have friends who make us take shoes off at the front door, its their house their rules so we do it, human rights have to stop somewhere or else people just use it as an excuse to win an argument, should i be upset over my loss of human rights because i have to take my shoes off at the door, no not at all...........unless i have smelly socks.

gonna get me a viking hekmet lmao

individual shops have the right to dictate whatever the dress code is of their shop, just like a nightclub. if the customer doesnt like it then they should go elsewhere, its got nothing to do with human rights.

i have friends who make us take shoes off at the front door, its their house their rules so we do it, human rights have to stop somewhere or else people just use it as an excuse to win an argument, should i be upset over my loss of human rights because i have to take my shoes off at the door, no not at all...........unless i have smelly socks.

Would your friends call the police if you didn't take your shoes off ? doubtful.

This is completely different. It is asking people to take off their JUMPER or BEANIE. These are items of clothing worn to keep one-self warm. It is a health and safety issue, to me, if people have to take their jumper off to use a store. The consistent on/off of clothing is likely to make people sick.

Also stores don't have the legal right to do this at present. Although a sign at the door is all it takes. This won't discourage armed robbers in the slightest. A wide brimmed hat would be a much more suitable method of concealing oneself from the cameras anyway, or any hat for that matter.

Having to not have your HOOD up/on makes sense. But this statement is saying that hoodies must be removed all together. This is a joke. A better idea would be well placed cameras. Rather than all ceiling cameras how about one at counter level looking UP at peoples faces ? This would get a shot of the face regardless of hat style chosen. What the stores REALLY need is decent security advice, the best advice they could get is from reformed thieves, these are people who know how a thieves mind works and what they are likely to do upon entry to the store.

I agree with the theory of trying to minimize armed robbery but the way they are going about it is completely absurd.

edit: i rarely wear a hoodie out anyway so it doesn't bother me however if i so choose to wear one i shouldn't have to worry that i will be breaking the law by doing so.

Edited by DarkSpark

They are not asking you to undress, they are asking you to unconceal your face by lowering your hood. I don't see the problem. You're inside so it's not like you'll freeze because your ears are uncovered. And who the fuck wears a hoodie in Brisbane anyway?

Also, one minute we're discussing clothing, the next we're arguing firearms for all, WTF? :rolleyes:

Alice I think some of the outrage is the perception that people will indeed be asked to remove the entire hoodie. And lots of people wear them in Brizzy, my little brother and most of his friends are some of those I know.

From what I read in the reports, there was no mention of "hoods" just "hoodies" which I'd think refers to the whole garment.

Banning hoodies is like putting up an anti-suicide fence at Golden Gate Bridge. It just doesn't address the root problem at all.

Also, one minute we're discussing clothing, the next we're arguing firearms for all, WTF? :rolleyes:

I don't how the subject is so far removed. Its all in the name of "public safety". I think shop owners deserve to ask you to remove your hoody, and i think shop owners deserve to own a gun. jmo

From what I read in the reports, there was no mention of "hoods" just "hoodies" which I'd think refers to the whole garment.

Exactly, my understanding of the term "hoodie" is a jumper that has a hood on it. Having to remove your hoodie would mean to me that you have to remove your entire jumper.

Banning hoodies is like putting up an anti-suicide fence at Golden Gate Bridge. It just doesn't address the root problem at all.

exactly. I still stand by my original statement relating to proper prosecution of the offenders. People aren't scared of the law because they know they have at least a 50% chance of getting away with it even if they are caught. Plus a 75% chance that the police won't be able to gather enough "evidence" to prosecute, or ever find them for that matter. Also, my other statement regarding smart placement of cameras is a much better alternative.

I don't how the subject is so far removed. Its all in the name of "public safety". I think shop owners deserve to ask you to remove your hoody, and i think shop owners deserve to own a gun. jmo

Who actually wears the hood of their hoodie into a shop anyway, If a shopkeeper was to ask me to remove my hood i would agree, if they asked me to remove my hoodie i would say "i hope you mean hood, coz i am NOT taking my jumper off"... I was always told that wearing a hat, hoodie etc inside is bad manners. Plus we weren't talking guns for all, we were talking guns for shopkeepers to protect themselves, their staff and their merchandise/livelihoods.

I kind of get the feeling that the media who are writing the story perhaps don't have the same understanding of what most people consider a "hoodie" and "hood" to be and what the difference is... If they do just mean hood then i am all for it. If they mean the whole jumper then i am against it.

Although i wonder if i can say it is against my religion to show my ears, i hear religious and cultural beliefs are what people play on to get the laws bent around them.

simple solution imo

instant-villain-disguise-kit.jpg

• Like 2