The Corroboree
Yeti101

Pics of some Fungi at Uni

Fungi on the Callaghan Campus - photo's 2009 (and 2010, I think). I'm not sure that they are all correctly identified, but since I can't ID any fungi I might be wrong about that :blush:

http://tinyurl.com/3uu4qv2

wow there's some serious diversity isn't there!!!

thanks for the link

wow, damn nice pics.

well done.

Cheers, Obtuse

For the record (in case it wasn't already obvious), the pics are not mine. All I did was stand around and gawp at them when they were exhibited outside the archive/cultural collections area. Since a lot of this stuff is digitised, I hoped they would make it onto the web eventually (and they did B) ).

Your pictures or not they are still great photographs! If Queensland will ever recover from the floods and let fungi birth the lands of this state once again I am hopeful in getting my new 16.1 megapixel camera to snatch up some great pictures... Ah threads like this are so inspiring.

I think the mushrooms just like to be where there's lots of ppl.

there are some stunning photos in there, thanks for the link

Surely its a combination of people tracking spores around, and "If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?"

edit; nah, I misused that saying. What I meant was: more people around to notice as opposed to other potentially productive areas which may have mushies around in a similar state of abundance, but few people.

Edited by Quill

Awesome set of photos, definitely plenty of diversity at your campus. Who took them Yeti?

Edit:

The first unidentified fungus looks like Polyporus arcularius, which was found later in that photostream too. I found it, or a closely related species, a couple of times in India and cloned it to agar both times. Looks like a very promising species to cultivate as it pinned readily on agar after only a few days, but I wasn't able to bring the culture back. It's both edible and medicinal.

4538977097_790cee6f90_b.jpg

These 'Tricholomopsis rutilans' aren't actually T. rutilans, as there is an annulus present on the stipes. They look exactly like the Gymnopilus dilepis I've found locally.

4539034355_118d3fa5b9_b.jpg

This isn't Cantharellus concinnus, as it has true gills, not blunted ridges like it should if it was actually a chanterelle.

4896060391_f745938eba_b.jpg

Is this really Calvatia gigantea? C. gigantea fruit bodies are massive! This doesn't look all that large...

4903237303_e57fca5079_b.jpg

This one looks like a Stemonitis sp., rather than a Fuligo sp.

4922563232_920954d4e5_b.jpg

Stropharia rugosoannulata is an awesome find! I'm not sure if the identification is correct, but it looks like a pretty decent match.

4925467998_690f21982d_b.jpg

Had no idea Auricularia cornea was found so far south!

Edited by tripsis

Surely its a combination of people tracking spores around, and "If a tree falls in the forest, does it make a sound?"

edit; nah, I misused that saying. What I meant was: more people around to notice as opposed to other potentially productive areas which may have mushies around in a similar state of abundance, but few people.

I think the quote makes sense :)

and i think your probably right too