The Corroboree
Sign in to follow this  
sclaws

Mutant lophophora graft?

After I posted I realized I did not study the pic as good as I should have. So I had a look at it again when I had the time. And I have to agree with Hellonasty.

Like Hellonasty said. Treat it,... and then the next step would be to regraft. Hope your grafting skills are good, and be aware that there is no guarantee, but will be your best bet on saving it in the long run.

I think there are a few things you could do to make your chances better. 1 would be to only graft for example the top part of the weird growth. Should it fail,.. then you might have a second chance at grafting if the back end remains attached,... if there is no further spread of the infection to the mother plant. There is however a chance that the back attached end will start to die down after you cut is and then that opportunity is also lost.

apologize for the previous reply. should have looked at it better. Thankfully we have Hellonasty's experienced opinion. I certainly hope some other graft masters of SAB will reply to further elaborate on the possibilities or confirm what Hellonasty said. Would be a damned shame if your beautiful Loph shrivels up and dies.

• Like 2

Yeah I agree that grafting the top section of the pup in question will most definitely be more successful as this area has been effected less. The intent of my post was on saving the large loph head, as for any of the pups cut them off the main head before degrafting. I wouldn't re-graft the main head I would root it, all the other smaller pups re-graft to any stock you have on hand, but not Hylocereus it's no good for lophs.

I too would like to hear of some other opinions ? anyone

I don't think it's necessarily a fungal or bacterial issue, regardless, the offset is no longer completely attached to its mother plant. this is very common with plants grown on their own roots. usually an offset will grow its own roots and continue on, next to its mother but not relying on it anymore. in this case the offset is too far from the soil to continue growing normally.i would also recommend removing it and growing it in its own pot.

I am told I am rubbish at taking advice and yes the advice was to degraft and yes- I must confess that I chose not to and guess what....more weirdness from this graft...not the best pic- i'll try to take a better one soon but thought I'd share it all the same...

mutant-resize.jpg

many pups sprouting- some of them with roots....

• Like 6

Man that is awsome you really got lucky with that. Now you have have a few are you going to try a graft or two?

Who thinks they'll stay red on a graft, now that would be cool and definitely be the pride of my collection.

That does look pretty cool, is there a root growing out of one of those little pups? I would tend to agree with what prier said

I don't think it's necessarily a fungal or bacterial issue, regardless, the offset is no longer completely attached to its mother plant. this is very common with plants grown on their own roots. usually an offset will grow its own roots and continue on, next to its mother but not relying on it anymore. in this case the offset is too far from the soil to continue growing normally.i would also recommend removing it and growing it in its own pot.

If those new pups are throwing roots then I would say that part of the loph is not getting the nutrients it needs & should be taken off. If you can do this & keep those little roots intact it should root quickly & start growing well. Good luck & please keep the updates coming.

Cheers

Jox

Sclaws,... yes,... grow some of the pups with roots on their own, to risk manage your plant. And of course do share/trade with the rest of the community :-)

This is beautiful, whatever it is. I pray that it is a chimera. :D Fingers crossed for this being the first + Trichophora (or + Williocereus)

• Like 1